Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times

Advertisements

Hello;
I am trying to figure out if I and my wife are stuck until the fulfillment of the lease that the previous owner had with the landlord. Basically we bought a business in 2006, the landlord since then has raised the rent 100 dollars additional a month every year.
We do not have a copy of the previous lease because supposedly the landlord was going to get it for us but he never provided a current one, he only provided one that expired in 2005 but he stated that he has the other lease 'somewhere' that doesn't expire until 2010.
My understanding is that the landlord was supposed to provide a new lease for us to sign but he never did. We found a great place to move the business to but I don't want to end up moving the business and then later get taken to court and forced to pay for the fulfillment of the lease that we never signed from the 'previous owner'.
We have not changed the Tax ID of the Corporation because if we do we lose certain contracts that are required to make this business a success. I did notice that the previous lease that expired on 05/2005 actually had the previous owner's name and the business name.
So my question is can me and my wife move the business to the new location without having to worry about being sued by the landlord under the terms of a lease that he might have from the previous owner, that us, the new owners never signed off on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey