Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I'm looking to get some feedback about something I've been considering. I grew up in Bergen county New Jersey and loved it. About 8 years ago, I moved to Miami Florida, got divorced and live here with my six year old son, who is now in first grade.

I've been thinking about going back home because first of all, my parents and the rest of my family are still in NJ, and second, trying to do everything on my own has become emotionally and financially difficult. Third, I know I can also find a much better job as I graduated from NYU before I moved to florida.

I know the quality of education is so much better than Miami. My question in my debate is how can I find out which school is a good school to send my son should I decide to move back to NJ? This is a major concern for me, because since my parents now live in Hudson county, I'm not sure about how the public schools are in that area; I don't really know where to begin. I don't want to just have him go to any public school that is not very good just so I can stay close to my parents. Ultimately I want him to have the best.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it!
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Default Re: Moving back home

Hi...I've lived in Jersey my whole life (essex) and although this state has many beautiful qualities, people have come to ruin it. I live in a good town where my kids go to an excellent school system (rated in the top 75 of NJ Monthly), however, it's not enough. We are not completely confident in our childrens' safety (like when we were growing up). The education is still lacking compared to other parts of the country. My husband and I are planning to relocate to Maine or NH w/in the next two years, believe it or not. I have my whole family here too, but it's not enough to keep us here. My advice is don't bring your son back here, there's better and safer out there.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,948 times
Hi Jersey Girl,
I too moved out of NJ. I left in 1995 after 38 years there. My town suggestion would be the town of Somerville. I grew up in both Somerville and Denville. Actually I would suggest either of these 2 towns. Somerville is in Somerset County, denville is Morris County. Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,128 times
I too moved out of NJ to Ocala, Fla. because there were seasonal changes there, unlike south Fla. I moved back after 911. My family was here, and after the tragedy, I realized what was important to me. I live in Bellmawr, but there are so many little towns around Jersey, and you can check out the school systems for each town on their websites. Something to think about.. I paid for my daughter to have private education, the best, and after 3 years and 25,000. of debt, she followed in my footsteps and dropped out to go to a community college and become a nurse... like me. Sometimes it's not JUST the school... it's the child and how they are brought up. He'll succeed if he's encouraged with love and discipline, but mostly consistency with his studying habits. My pet peeve about NJ compared to Fla.----- expensive car insurance and expensive property taxes!! What I love about NJ--- we are the Garden State, weather isn't extreme either way, and I have my family around me to complain about all the things I don't like!!! Good luck.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,001 times
i would suggest anwhere from Northern Burlington County and North. i live in Mercer county and the schools and areas are excellent. email me and id be happy to help you with a local realtor as well.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,714 times
Default don't come back!

Jersey Girl - I am a Jersey guy, big time, but it is absolutly impossible to live here anymore. The housing prices are out of this world as are the taxes, 8K is a bargin! I live in Morris County and I love it, but with the taxes, car ins. and utilities, we are exploring moving to Cary NC. I have 4 kids, 2-9yrs. We have been to Cary and it is similar to NJ. Take a look before comming back. People are leaving Jersey by the dozens! By the way, state college is approx. 18K a yr now., imagine in 5-10 yrs!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,162 times
Thumbs up Moving back to Jersey

I also grew up in Bergen County. We moved to Arizona in 1996 and have wanted to move back to Jersey for the past 5 years- for family, friends,my son's education (AZ is ranked almost lowest in the country) job opportunities, as well as good food and "real" people. We will be moving to Barnegat, NJ in June and I can't wait. The schools have good ratings and it still has the small town feel (I could never move back to Bergen County--too congested). ONe of the members posted an opinion of too much crime and too expensive...while it may be expensive, you also have the opportunity to make a lot more money as well as having the support of your family..this is vital given the circumstance you are in..this would be a wonderful support base for your child, which is very important. Also, the town I live in now in Arizona has a population of about 40,000 and there is a list of 10 pediphiles in the town...there is also rampant drug use...burglaries, robberies,murder, etc.. There is no escape from crime and drugs, etc..it exists no matter where you are and from what I understand about Florida, their education system isn't very good either and there is crime and drugs there too! Your priority is doing what is best for you and your child, and it sounds like having family close by will provide the extra support you will need..good luck with your decision!

Old 03-04-2006, 02:50 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Hi Jersey Girl,
I have lived in Jersey all my life. Bergen, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth and Cape May counties. There are so many beautiful areas in Monmouth County with excellent schools. But, it just isn't worth it to come back. I'm a realtor and I'll tell you the prices are ridiculous and to get into a half decent town with good schools you'll have to pay at least 500K. My family is moving to NC this year. We've had it! I pay $7,000 in taxes and will be paying $1300. Can you imagine that, NJ?

Old 03-05-2006, 10:29 PM

84 posts, read 123,401 times
Jersey Girl - I have to agree with Jersey Devil. I moved from Bergen County 12 years ago, still have many friends there, to the Charlotte NC area and will never go back north. Cost of living, quality of life and every thing else is just so much different. I visit frequently and appreciate the move I made every time I get off the plane in Newark or JFK.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
I live in Monmouth County and it's one of the best in the State but I agree with everyone that's saying to stay south. I just went to SC last week to look at houses and I'll be moving sometime in the next year. Did you ever hear of a "shake down"? well when you live in this state that's what happens you get shaken down. Pay the income tax, property tax, tolls everywhere, auto insurance....most of which are the highest in the country, meanwhile NJ has one of the largest deficits? Not to mention it's cold.....I suggest looking sc or nc if you want to go a liitle north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey