Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM

76 posts, read 105,148 times

Advertisements

I recieved a questionarre summons a couple months ago at my summer home where i get minimal mail, although thats not my legal residence
(my drivers license and my tax returns show a different town & county).
i know that im only required to serve in the county which i reside i sent a letter off the the jury manager stating such.
They didn't even have my name (last) spelled correctly they didnt get it from my license or voting record, i havn't gotten any response back from them don't know if thats good or bad, it's a summer town so maybe they err a lot with out of county property owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I think I would have brought them with me. If a SAHP does not work and provides all the care for their children they should certainly be excused.
LOL I should have. My husband had two vacation days he used to watch the kids. Where were you when I got called??

Before we moved, I was one of those jurors that got called every 3 years. I have been since I was 18. So far (knock wood) not since we moved.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
LOL I should have. My husband had two vacation days he used to watch the kids. Where were you when I got called??

Before we moved, I was one of those jurors that got called every 3 years. I have been since I was 18. So far (knock wood) not since we moved.
In that case it might have been a nice break for you - lunch out, mingly with surly adults. lol. I remember my sister getting called in NYC and I can't remember if she brought them to the initial one where she went to get excused but I do remember that they tried to tell her that having a 1 and 2 year old was no excuse. I don't know who they thought she would get to watch them all day with no notice.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
In that case it might have been a nice break for you - lunch out, mingly with surly adults. lol. I remember my sister getting called in NYC and I can't remember if she brought them to the initial one where she went to get excused but I do remember that they tried to tell her that having a 1 and 2 year old was no excuse. I don't know who they thought she would get to watch them all day with no notice.
Normally it would have been exactly that, wonderful time away from the kids, relax. But honestly I was so stressed about getting selected for a trial it was awful. The trials we were being selected for were all murder trials slated to last three weeks. The sad thing is I have been called every three years since I was 18 and never was selected, always dismissed. The one time I thought it would be very interesting, I really couldn't serve.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Have to go for Jury Duty tomorrow in Jersey City. :-/ a few people have recommended that i bring a laptop. If i get called for a case or to see the judge, where can i put this laptop? Is there a place i can lock it up? If i bring a backpack can i just keep it with me? Just want to be prepared for 6 hours of sitting in a room doing nothing if that happens. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Normally it would have been exactly that, wonderful time away from the kids, relax. But honestly I was so stressed about getting selected for a trial it was awful. The trials we were being selected for were all murder trials slated to last three weeks. The sad thing is I have been called every three years since I was 18 and never was selected, always dismissed. The one time I thought it would be very interesting, I really couldn't serve.
I don't understand why someone WOULDN'T want to serve on a murder trial. I did it in 1994, and is was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life, more interesting than any true crime movie or book when you hear it up close and in person. The trial was supposed to last three weeks, but because we had sixteen snowstorms that year during the trial time, it stretched out to six weeks.

Of course, if you don't get paid for the entire time or don't have someone else to watch your kids, it wouldn't be worth it, but then you'd get excused anyway.

And by the way, to keep on topic with the original post, I very distinctly remember the judge calling out the names of the jurors who were supposed to be there, and if the person didn't show up, he handed their name over to someone to prepare a ticket and said so each time.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Have to go for Jury Duty tomorrow in Jersey City. :-/ a few people have recommended that i bring a laptop. If i get called for a case or to see the judge, where can i put this laptop? Is there a place i can lock it up? If i bring a backpack can i just keep it with me? Just want to be prepared for 6 hours of sitting in a room doing nothing if that happens. Thanks.
I served in New Brunswick and although I did not use them, I believe I saw someone at a locker so I think that's where you would leave it. They have tight security similar to what is at an airport so be prepared entering and leaving.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
I was called for Jersey City, and I actually got picked, but was eliminated because the crime occurred near my neighborhood, so the perpetrator requested that I be eliminated! It was actually an interesting experience.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
I served on a jury about 3 years ago and it was 1 of the most interesting experiences of my life. The trial only lasted 3 days so it was pretty quick but I would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat.

Anyone who lies to try and get out of it completely wrong. I hope that if they are ever in a situation where they are a defendant in a case (or a plaintiff in a civil case for that matter) that people treat them with the same misplaced entitlement that they seem to have.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
i'll never understand why so many people want to live in this country, with all the great benefits it affords them, but then when they are called on for their little tiny piece of duty, they do everything they can to get out of it.

and as for dismissals - it all depends on the parties involved. my father was selected on a case of a 20 year old case of murder where he went to high school and graduated with the defendant and my father's daughter and the prosecuting attny's daughter played soccer together at the time in high school. they specifically ask each juror if they know the defendant, the attorney, and the prosecutor. thought for sure that would excuse him.

it all depends on who they like and don't like. (except for the normal reasons for excusing a juror like financial hardship, etc).

most people get notified every 3ish years. it's just so many people moving around, a lot of people never serve. my wife and i have both gotten notices, but it was right after we moved from hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey