Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm so glad I found this board. It'll be so helpful! My husband works for a company in Norwood and has recently earned a promotion that will require us to move to the area. He is commuting right now every other week.

What areas would you all recommend that we start to look at? We currently live in an a great school system, rural subdivision town about 20 minutes outside of the City of Grand Rapids. It is mostly white collar and white, with basically no crime rate to speak of. I know, it is a great idea and I just love our woods! So, why leave? Because I recently have been laid off and with the highest unemployment rate, the best of us, can't even get an interview. Sad, but true. Luckily, my husband has this wonderful career opportunity though!

Also, our daughter plays travel softball so I hope this area also has this wonderful sport.

I do plan on traveling with my husband this Spring to look around in person and with a realtor. Any legwork I can do online now would be very helpful.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Tenafly is noted for having one of the best public school systems in the nation (a blue ribbon district)

It's a very pristine town, though very expensive. I don't know what your budget is, but the Norwood/NE Bergen County area is VERY expensive.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,289 times
Housing in Michigan is ALOT different. We have an upscale home at $350k. So, we wouldn't want to go over that, prolly less as I am not working and wouldn't be full time as we won't have family to help with kids.

What about into NY area, going opposite from the NYC traffic?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halllis View Post
Housing in Michigan is ALOT different. We have an upscale home at $350k. So, we wouldn't want to go over that, prolly less as I am not working and wouldn't be full time as we won't have family to help with kids.

\

Sorry to say but you will not be getting anything close to upscale in NJ for 350K.
Go to one of the realtor web sites and start looking. North Jersey is most expensive and it gets less expensive the furthur South you go except for those areas just outside Philadelphia PA.

Good luck

Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halllis View Post

As stated above, you're not going to get even CLOSE to upscale with that budget. You're going to need to spend more. Really. And I would NOT recommend working in the NY area unless it's up in Rockland or Orange Counties. The commute across the river is awful. Even reverse, which I did for four years.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:41 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Your near the NY border, Look into Orange County which is still on this side of the hudson and much cheaper.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM

105 posts, read 330,675 times
Halllis, we moved from Michigan from the Oakland County area to NJ just a year ago yesterday. 350K in NJ is not enough to get a home in a middle/upscale town, with top public schools. It will get you possibly into a decent multi family home. The equivalent of your 350K MI home is minimum like an 700K with updates in NJ. In NYC, it's not even worth the comparison... If you avoid the train towns, housing can be more reasonable. And on a single income, it is difficult to maintain the same level of lifestyle back in MI, even with salary increases, since housing is just so much higher. If you have questions, feel free to pm me.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I would look into towns in NY state which is just Noth of Norwood. I would assume real estate costs there might be lower. It would still be a short local drive from most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: