Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 AM

12 posts, read 134,385 times

Advertisements

Hello! Wondering if there are any recent opinions of the Redwood section of West Orange. We've seen a house we're interested in that's in the pocket between Eagle Rock Ave and Harrison Ave, by Our Lady of Lourdes school. That part of Harrison Ave isn't the best, but seems to be fine. The street that the house is on seems perfectly pleasant as well, and it's a convenient location for me (commuting to NY).

We've also seen a house we love in South Orange, but it's a major fixer-upper and as first-time homebuyers we're not sure we're up for it. With our budget (under $300k) we're not likely to find a house there that we can afford otherwise! But, we love South Orange as a town, and are not sure how West Orange would compare.

Just FYI, we're a late 20s couple with one baby, moving out of Manhattan to buy our first house.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsInNJ View Post
Hello! Wondering if there are any recent opinions of the Redwood section of West Orange. We've seen a house we're interested in that's in the pocket between Eagle Rock Ave and Harrison Ave, by Our Lady of Lourdes school. That part of Harrison Ave isn't the best, but seems to be fine. The street that the house is on seems perfectly pleasant as well, and it's a convenient location for me (commuting to NY).

We've also seen a house we love in South Orange, but it's a major fixer-upper and as first-time homebuyers we're not sure we're up for it. With our budget (under $300k) we're not likely to find a house there that we can afford otherwise! But, we love South Orange as a town, and are not sure how West Orange would compare.

Just FYI, we're a late 20s couple with one baby, moving out of Manhattan to buy our first house.

Thanks!
I don't know that area all that well, but on a budget of 300k I'd take West Orange over South Orange.

If you want to buy in South Orange, your options on that budget are a fixer or a half duplex or condo, or maybe a 2 bedroom cottage if one comes on the market.

West Orange is quieter and more suburban. It's very green like South Orange, but not really walkable. You have more options on quiet streets in WO (SO is largely a grid layout unless you're west of the tracks but that's way outside your budget)

Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 134,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I don't know that area all that well, but on a budget of 300k I'd take West Orange over South Orange.

If you want to buy in South Orange, your options on that budget are a fixer or a half duplex or condo, or maybe a 2 bedroom cottage if one comes on the market.

West Orange is quieter and more suburban. It's very green like South Orange, but not really walkable. You have more options on quiet streets in WO (SO is largely a grid layout unless you're west of the tracks but that's way outside your budget)
Thanks very much! You're right, the one property we've found that we like in South Orange is a MAJOR fixer-upper (foreclosure). Has great potential, but I'm just not sure we're up for it.

We're finding a lot more in our range in West Orange, and at first glance it seems like a nice place to raise our family.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
Redwood section is very nice, but I do not know what you can get for 300K. The area of WO by Harrison Ave is (Down the hill) and is not as nice but its not horrible. Redwood though is not "down the hill". Its a good town for a young family, taxes are very high though.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
Redwood section is very nice, but I do not know what you can get for 300K.
300 will get you a decent "starter home" in a nice location.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM

101 posts, read 460,497 times
Don't forget to take taxes into account... especially in the Oranges...
Saw some houses just now for $299k the taxes are $ 12,295 Thats just over $1000 a month you have to consider in your budget. That's close to your mortgage payment!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanErikson View Post
Don't forget to take taxes into account... especially in the Oranges...
Saw some houses just now for $299k the taxes are $ 12,295 Thats just over $1000 a month you have to consider in your budget. That's close to your mortgage payment!
yes, a rule of thumb is to reduce your budget by 20,000 for each extra $1000 in property tax you're paying.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,676 times
In regards to taxes here, they went up over 70% in the past 10 years. The town is very large and has a paid EMS and fire department unlike other similar towns that have volunteers. Services such as snow removal are excellent but it comes with a price. Unfortunately, these days in North Jersey if you want to live in a desirable area with low crime it comes with a price, whether its in the property value or taxes.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 AM

101 posts, read 460,497 times
^^ I think you can find a safe(r) town with good or better services, and not pay the ridiculous taxes of the Oranges - and perhaps only be 5-15 minutes farther into NJ.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanErikson View Post
^^ I think you can find a safe(r) town with good or better services, and not pay the ridiculous taxes of the Oranges - and perhaps only be 5-15 minutes farther into NJ.
yeah, but good luck finding something habitable for 300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey