Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times

Advertisements

It is that time of year... does anyone know where the free shredding events are in bergen county? we just missed one by BCUA.. looking for any free events done by banks or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
My favorite is the good old shred then soak, but, if you have too much to shred, burning will be your best bet.

If you don't have a legal/isolated place to burn it, and way too much to shred, go with the good old salad dressing solution: buy cheap bulk vinegar // oil (you'd be surprised how little this costs), soak documents in the vinegar to destroy the paper, throw in garbage bag (make sure it's well sealed for the sake of your poor garbage man, don't be an *** and use something that will leak), pour oil over, allow to grow rancid for a couple days, throw out (okay, this might be excessive, but, it works and is pretty drat easy).

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 AM

80 posts, read 191,964 times
I bought a very good, large shredder at CostCo for less than $80.

Giving personal and/or sensitive documents to someone else to shred kind of defeats the purpose of keeping personal and/or sensitive documents out of the hands of people you don't know.

I shred about half of our stuff, the rest goes into the chimney starter for the grill

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
there was just one in Hoboken recently. there must be other events going on as well.

you should really contact these places sending you stuff and switch to paperless!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM

46 posts, read 150,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I have for years been collecting stuff like the 49 pages my car insurance co sends me each year, every single page with my policy #, name and address all over it. I have a shredder but ti would take me forever... I know there is a service but i think it is for companies only .... is there a place I can drop this stuff off?????
Do it a little at a time. All the pages do not have your personal info on them - so just toss those (or recycle). You can also try redacting with a GOOD permanent black marker and tear them up while you're watching TV.

Just don't put them in the garbage as is....everyone thinks it will not happen to them, but NJ has the 12th highest ID Theft complaints in the country.

BE SAFE RATHER THAN SORRY

Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 AM

IT is my parents stuff they have been living ina house for 30 years and are moving. I just want to drive up to a huge truck and throw it in and then be on my way. I have no problem paying a modest fee either. I know banks sponsor these. The county of bergen also sponsors events but we missed the last one recently.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
Default paper Shredding

Hi, I think I have a solution to your question. I used to work in a large corporate office and we constantly had to shred confidential materials. We used a large company that could mass-shred and perform other
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]<a [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]href[/FONT][FONT=Calibri]="[/FONT][FONT=Calibri][URL="http://data-struction.com/"]http://www.data-struction.com/[/URL]">paper shredding </a> [/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]necessities that we had. We would get rid of thousands of confidential files every day. It is important to maintain your private information.

Last edited by rpercyz; 07-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

any other ideas. I showed up at Campgaw the Sunday after the last free shredding event on Saturday (they usually hold these on Sunday.. doh). these stupid docs are driving me nuts in my garage. I don't mind paying a few bucks.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I have for years been collecting stuff like the 49 pages my car insurance co sends me each year, every single page with my policy #, name and address all over it. I have a shredder but ti would take me forever... I know there is a service but i think it is for companies only .... is there a place I can drop this stuff off?????
That's what you get for being a packrat. Just threw it out, by the time it gets to the landfill, it will be crushed and destroyed anyway. Most ID theft takes place online or with credit cards, not people picking through trash looking for your info.
Unless it's your salary stub or something, rip it up and trash it.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM

No thanks. Packrat? I am keeping documents per IRS requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: