Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The Hoboken parade has become absolute amateur hour (as has Hoboken nightlife in general).
All the more reason to come to the Trenton parade. Morristown is a bit closer for North Jersey folk though and isn't a bad one. That's my wife's favorite because her parents grew up around there and she always attended it as a child. Unfortunately Trenton and Morristown usually fall on the same day so we have to choose I don't know about Hoboken because I've never been, but the best parts of the Trenton and Morristown parades are Tir Na Nog and Dublin Pub (respectively)-as there's nothing worse than going into a so-called "Irish Pub" that's simply a re-purposed corner bar with pictures of leprechauns and cheesy Irish sayings hanging on the wall, nothing more than U2 on the jukebox, and only Guinness on tap. Both of the above mentioned establishments have excellent live entertainment on parade day (and pretty much every weekend year round) and they don't just play "The Wild Rover" over and over again. Two years ago at the Trenton parade, Tom Glover, the resident performer at the 'Nog did a phenomenal medley with a local fiddler (whose name I didn't get) consisting of "The Foggy Dew," "The SAM song," and "Celtic Symphony." The bands at Dublin Pub are no slouches either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:15 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
They are giving out $2000 fine for open container or urinating in public

I say this is ridiculous. It is a parade. supposed to be fun.
Wharton, NJ used to have a great St Patrick's Day parade until it got overrun with the type of people that coundn't handle their liquor and drink civilly and thought urinating in public was acceptable behavior.

Needless to say Wharton stopped hosting the event.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
The Hoboken police have really cracked down on the juvenile, immature, disrespectful and obnoxious crowd. I'm surprised a fine is all someone would get- a good 24 hours in jail should be added to that. It's not only gross, but it's completely classless. Those are behavior patterns of a frat kid- whoeever does this needs to grow up already.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:

You may think public drunkeness, pucking in the streets, urinating in the streets is fun but we in Hoboken do not agree. Try doing it in your own town and see how your neighbors would feel.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:

It's just the nanny state being tyrannical. If I want to drink alcohol I should be able to do it wherever I want. And if I want to urinate I should be able to do that wherever I want, too.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
There are third world countries where people are allowed to just squat in the streets to poop...maybe you guys would be happier there than the "nanny state" where other people who don't want to walk in urine at the parade are taken into consideration.

As for the booze, are you that old that you don't know how to sneak it anymore? It really isn't that difficult you can get any kind of soda, juice, whatever, dump some out and fill it with rum or vodka. I know, cause I live in a dry town and have practice. It actually makes it more fun, IMO.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
I'm with Shorebaby. As a Hoboken resident, I am pissed off at the behavior of some of these idiots. So far today already, I have walked across the street to get the newspaper, only to have to avoid bumping into people that cannot hold their booze and walk a straight line. In our building, we have a security guard on duty until tomorrow to protect it from the puke, pee, cigarette butts that littered our lobby and where bottles and cans that were tossed of terraces last year. In addition, I have also had a party of over-indulgers walk in through my front door in search of the party. Mod cut

Seriously, I have NO problem with drinking. I do it myself and on occassion have over-done it (especially when I was younger). But at NO time did I put families with small children at risk as I lurched along the sidewalk. And NOTHING makes it alright to throw things off a terrace - especially burning cigarettes while people are walking below.

Have your booze, enjoy the music and the company at the bars, but try to remember that you are not 14 and getting loaded for the first time.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-07-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm with Shorebaby. As a Hoboken resident, I am pissed off at the behavior of some of these idiots. So far today already, I have walked across the street to get the newspaper, only to have to avoid bumping into people that cannot hold their booze and walk a straight line. In our building, we have a security guard on duty until tomorrow to protect it from the puke, pee, cigarette butts that littered our lobby and where bottles and cans that were tossed of terraces last year. In addition, I have also had a party of over-indulgers walk in through my front door in search of the party.
Mod cut

Seriously, I have NO problem with drinking. I do it myself and on occassion have over-done it (especially when I was younger). But at NO time did I put families with small children at risk as I lurched along the sidewalk. And NOTHING makes it alright to throw things off a terrace - especially burning cigarettes while people are walking below.

Have your booze, enjoy the music and the company at the bars, but try to remember that you are not 14 and getting loaded for the first time.
Our own city sahres some blame too. I left early today but I think the bars opened earlier than ususal. If the city were serious about craking down on this they should prohibit bars from opening until the parade starts.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-07-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Hoboken has the Hudson as its eastern border. Why can't they just pee in the river? LOL.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 16,554 times
Default St. Patricks Parades

Belmar today 07Mar2010, a great parade.

Was in Nutley yesterday, that was a good parade too. The corn beef and cabbage at the local pub was fantastic. The Guiness was good too.

Many parades next weekend. Union County, South Amboy, AC, Wildwood, kearny, Morristown, Trenton, Newark (Friday) always a good time.

I did the HOB parade last year. I wont take my family there again. The other parades are much better atmosphere.
There are even parades the weekends of 20th and 27th.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey