Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Hey, I have an idea, how about we hire illegal immigrants to teach our kids? It's worked really well for the construction industry.
We are talking about capitalism right? If they are here and they can do the job for less, what the wait? This country was founded on the mighty green back and you have to understand that. If I live well and others in this country dont, how is it my fault? If we weed out the unions we can take back the country and run it correctly. Teaching doesnt pay...dont become a teacher. They will figure out what to do. Should I pay people because I feel bad for them? 99% of teacher are overpaid teenage baby sitters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
Quote:
Graduating teachers in New Jersey can expect a starting salary of about 40K a year....what other profession do you know that pays so little for a 4 year degree ?
1. What else can you do with some of those liberal arts degrees?

2. You only work part time

3. Those low salaries are only temporary, and come with the most generous benefit package you can get, including it being nearly impossible to get fired

Old 03-14-2010, 08:01 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
E.what other profession do you know that pays so little for a 4 year degree ?
post-docs (they have PhDs), community college and adult education instructors (many have masters degrees, they are largely on part time compensation), teaching assistants, lawyers who work for legal aid non-profits (law degrees).

Having a four year degree doesn't give you an inalienable right to collect a large salary. Moreover, having a four year degree does not imply that there will be a well paying job that depends on those credentials.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
post-docs (they have PhDs), community college and adult education instructors (many have masters degrees, they are largely on part time compensation), teaching assistants, lawyers who work for legal aid non-profits (law degrees).

Having a four year degree doesn't give you an inalienable right to collect a large salary. Moreover, having a four year degree does not imply that there will be a well paying job that depends on those credentials.
First.....whos comparing part time jobs ? Second....whos comparing "assistants" and "non-profit" workers ? We're talking about full time teachers responsible on average for the education of a 20 student classroom and ealing with ALL the problems associated with that education, including dealing with ignorant parents, and then having the results of their efforts constantly scrutinized by ill informed people who either think they can do better or think they are overpaid. No one ever suggested that "any" 4 year degree guarantees a large salary, however, a teaching degree and the responsibility that goes with the job certainly deserves a minimum of 40K a year without all the public whining attached to it. You can't pay a good teacher enough. And, for all the whining about police and firemens salaries you couldn't pay me enough to face the prospect of being shot at or be required to run into a burning building to save someone elses property.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 AM

152 posts, read 465,704 times
Boy, A years ago, these were none issues, we couldn't pay the cops enought, We wanted more and
better teachers, we were pushing the kids to get into the high tech world, we were hiring nurses from
southeast asia...we were begging for better educated government workers, now we want the bums out.
You have to wonder how a young person can choose a career with a fickle public, who will want to work
in the public sector?...maybe the druggies and alcoholics...like the good old days..remember when the town drunk worked in the public works department?....Just be careful what you ask for.....

Old 03-14-2010, 09:19 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
99% of teacher are overpaid teenage baby sitters.
Its really hard to understand how people with absolutely no experience in the field of education can come to conclusions like this.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
First.....whos comparing part time jobs ? Second....whos comparing "assistants" and "non-profit" workers ?
Not all the items I listed fall into those categories. I don't see what's illegitimate about my comparison anyway -- these people all have 4 year or graduate degrees. In some cases (academia), they are in the upper range of the ability spectrum, whereas at least in my time, the brightest students weren't jostling for spots in education.

The idea that everyone who wants spending cut believes that teachers should make less than 40k is a straw man (I have a hard time believing this is typical anyway -- I've reviewed payrolls and the teachers I saw listed were making 50k-90k)

The problem is that spending has grown substantially in the last several years (local spending by about 50% or so between 2000 and 2008), to the point that it has eclipsed our ability to pay for it. Teachers didn't have it that bad in 2000.

I don't think cutting salaries is productive (I posted this in another thread). I do think that the "pay everyone the same" language negotiated by unions is unhelpful. It makes it hard to hire qualified math and physics teachers without pushing costs through the roof. I think payrolls of some schools are quite bloated (e.g. there are too many people on the payroll who are soaking up a hefty chunk of the budget and aren't teaching).

Old 03-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

When can you start? If teaching is such an easy gig why aren't you doing it? I know why. Like most people you don't want to be around children anymore than you have to be let alone six hours a day.
Like I said, it's a part time profession, stop whining.

6 hours times 180 days = 1080 hours.

Many of those days are less than 6 hours (half days, etc.)

I wouldn't be supprised if a typical teacher worked less than 1000 hours.

50 weeks times 40 hours (minimum) for a white collar job = 2K hours, and most people are putting in more than that.

Annualize that salary to make the compairson fair.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Sounds like your jealous of what someone else was smart enough to negotiate and you wern't ?

Not jealous, just tired of hearing teachers gripe about money.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Like I said, it's a part time profession, stop whining.

6 hours times 180 days = 1080 hours.

Many of those days are less than 6 hours (half days, etc.)

I wouldn't be supprised if a typical teacher worked less than 1000 hours.

50 weeks times 40 hours (minimum) for a white collar job = 2K hours, and most people are putting in more than that.

Annualize that salary to make the compairson fair.
I think this is exaggerating a little -- counting only class time is a bit like only counting the time your sales team are giving presentations to clients. You need to add prep time for those teachers. It comes to just under 1500 if you count those as 8 hour days. Grading is labor intensive (especially if you have a high school teachers teaching load) so 2hrs a day isn't excessive.

As for the private sector employees, you have about 252 business days (about 2000 hours), but that's before you take out anywhere between 2-4 weeks for vacation, and an extra 2-3 personal days. That comes out to about 1800 hours. More than the teacher, but not twice as much (in practice, teachers often try to find extra work which brings up both hours and pay)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey