Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Like I said, it's a part time profession, stop whining.
Moderator cut: rude . Perhaps you'll recall one of my previous posts talking about how my wife is a teacher who doesn't whine at all about what she is paid for what she does. She believes that she's very well compensated. You on the other hand whine about how teachers live a life of endless luxury while you slave away. If you envy the profession so much, why don't you try it? You'll most certainly learn something about yourself.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-14-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 8,290 times
Good teachers should be payed well, tenure should go as well as the bloated middle administration, over paid supers and nearly 600 school districts!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:06 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrex View Post
Good teachers should be payed well, tenure should go as well as the bloated middle administration, over paid supers and nearly 600 school districts!!!

Unfortunatley the unions will not allow merit pay. The good bad and ugly all get paid the same.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Unfortunatley the unions will not allow merit pay. The good bad and ugly all get paid the same.
You are right! Its shocking as a tax payer to see children in Livingston,Westfield and Cranford flourish because of good teachers. Then we have those terrible teachers in Newark,Camden, and New Brunswick who just dont care and cant get the job done. Kids are kids get it done.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Like I said, it's a part time profession, stop whining.

6 hours times 180 days = 1080 hours.

Many of those days are less than 6 hours (half days, etc.)

I wouldn't be supprised if a typical teacher worked less than 1000 hours.

50 weeks times 40 hours (minimum) for a white collar job = 2K hours, and most people are putting in more than that.

Annualize that salary to make the compairson fair.
No teacher works 6 hours a day. Teachers are up at 5:30/6 am and at school by 7 and classes aren't over till at least 3 and with preparing for the next day most don't get to leave for home till after 5.......10 hour days on average spent at school. This doesn't include after school meetings, parent meetings and evening school activities and meetings. It also doesn't include all the additional evening and weekend hours involved in preparing lesson plans, grading papers and working with students who need additional help. Its my understanding that school districts require 180 days of instruction......not half days.....but whole days.
If your going to post thats fine but at least try to educate yourself to the reality of a teachers day before posting the nonsense your literally fabricating from your imagination as you go along.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-14-2010 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM

"children in Livingston,Westfield and Cranford flourish because of good teachers"
As a product of Cranford's school system(quite a few years ago) i can say you can have good and bad in every system.I'm sure there are great teachers in the Abbot districts but then again there is almost accountability for the money as the loins share is supplied buy the rest of the state.
Gov Christie will need help to take the NJEA down a few notches, The biggest mistake the voters did this past election was to vote the Senate back in, I hope the same is not done with the Assembly this coming November!!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:20 PM

"Unfortunatley the unions will not allow merit pay. The good bad and ugly all get paid the same."
Which is why we lost a 400m grant from the feds, the union want's the status quo

Old 03-14-2010, 05:54 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
No teacher works 6 hours a day. Teachers are up at 5:30/6 am and at school by 7 and classes aren't over till at least 3 and with preparing for the next day most don't get to leave for home till after 5.......10 hour days on average spent at school. This doesn't include after school meetings, parent meetings and evening school activities and meetings. It also doesn't include all the additional evening and weekend hours involved in preparing lesson plans, grading papers and working with students who need additional help. Its my understanding that school districts require 180 days of instruction......not half days.....but whole days.
If your going to post thats fine but at least try to educate yourself to the reality of a teachers day before posting the nonsense your literally fabricating from your imagination as you go along.

You're understanding is wrong. They only need 4 or 5 hours to count as a day, that's why they'll have the 2 hours late start time when it snows. That still counts as a day.

After school meetings are for like 1 week a year, and in my district, they have half days during that span.

10 hour days is not the norm. I ride by my kid's school at 3 PM and the parking lot is empty.

7-3 is the norm. Typically with a free period and a lunch period in there. You're talking about 5-6 hours of actual teaching tops.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:40 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
You're understanding is wrong. They only need 4 or 5 hours to count as a day, that's why they'll have the 2 hours late start time when it snows. That still counts as a day.

After school meetings are for like 1 week a year, and in my district, they have half days during that span.

10 hour days is not the norm. I ride by my kid's school at 3 PM and the parking lot is empty.

7-3 is the norm. Typically with a free period and a lunch period in there. You're talking about 5-6 hours of actual teaching tops.

My understanding is just fine.....my wife was a teacher for 30 years and my youngest daughter is currently a teacher so I have an indepth understanding of a teachers day. I've still yet to hear your experience regarding the day of a teacher besides what you see riding past your childs school at 3 pm ? If you have some expertise, experience or knowledge other than what you see from the parking lot at 3 pm we'd all be appreciative if you'd enlighten us with it ?
Apparently your either unaware or unwilling to accept the fact that teachers spend many additional hours in preparation for their daily work and many additional after school hours grading papers and parent conferences that go well beyond the 8 hours between 7 and 3....but again....those additional hours aren't visible from your vantage point in the parking lot.
After school meetings are available/held anytime a parent makes an appointment with the teacher for a meeting. Yes, there is back to school week for the parents to meet the teachers but there are also meetings with parents for each marking period to discuss their childs progress and needs. Today, most teachers have some "inclusion" students, all with special needs that all require periodic meetings with parents and school counselors not to mention "team teaching" meetings. Just because you don't attend or are unaware of these extra hours/meetings doesn't mean they don't occur.
I'm not sure why you wish to make an issue of time lost to late start snow days as the amount of teaching hours lost to half days to late arrival or early dismissal for snowstorms is too small to measure and even if it can be measured as a full day and it goes beyond the several "snow days" already figured into the school calendar then its added on in June. Its a non issue.
Regarding "lunches" and free periods most free periods have been eliminated in contract negotiations and my daughter who teaches 4th grade currently gets about 20 minutes for lunch as she has to be in the classroom when the students are taken out for lunch and there before they return.
Moderator removed - crosses into personal attack. NOT allowed.

Moderator cut: Off-topic

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-14-2010 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Please stay on topic

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,917 times
Not sure about the rest of the state but Hudson County has lots and lots of teachers on the payroll that no longer teach. They hold positions like supervisors and department heads and much much more. Kiss up to the machine and get rewarded with a cushy job with great pay and benifits. I'm sure there are lots of jobs like this on the city and state payroll that can be eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey