Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,863 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you can help me????? I am looking for a safe and affordable one bedroom apartment near my job in the city of Passaic, Passaic County, NJ. I need some accommodations because of my health. It is difficult for me to climb stairs. I am able to drive, but would be happy to take mass transit if it were available. Parking would be a plus. I am able to walk a few blocks to a bus. I have been looking at southern Bergen County, southern Passaic County, and north eastern Essex County? I would like to keep my rental between $1000-$1200. I do not have any children, so schools are not an issue. If the town/city has an active senior community/adult education program, this would just be an extra. I am presently in my late fifties. I must move this summer from my present apartment. The apartment manager and I have already discussed this situation. My lease is up on August 31, however, they understand that I must move because of health/financial reasons. I would like to move July 1. In this way, I can give everyone here as much notice as possible. They have been very kind to me and I would recommend this place to anyone who can afford it. Of course, I must have found or know that I have the likelihood of finding another apartment. So far, I have not been successful in locating a place. I was thinking of looking for an apartment in a two family house that the owner might be willing to rent to me. What do you think? How would I find these types of rentals and should I pay a fee? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. pazjbj
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Check out Fair Lawn. Quite a few apartment complexes, and nicer than Hawthorne. Figure around $1000 -$1100 per month for a 1BR older garden apartment, tack on a few hundred more for newer apartments. Fair Lawn Commons is beautiful and newer (maybe 8 or 9 years old), but figure $1500-$1600 per month for a 1BR. (But it's a different world from the other apartment complexes: you'll get a dishwasher, W/D, etc. You won't get this stuff in the older complexes.)

The other towns (Midland Park included) won't have a whole lot of apartments. Ridgewood might have some, but they would be very expensive (figure $1400 -$1500 for an older no-frills 1BR.) Hawthorne is a good choice too, but I think Fair Lawn's a better town. Midland Park and Waldwick might have some apartments in 2 family homes for a moderate price (probably more expensive than comparable stuff in Fair Lawn or Hawthorne though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
there is a post about townhouses in Midland Park, but can't find it for the life of me. I wanted to pass on that the greenwood ave townhomes are up for sale now. Expensive, and they couldn't fit 3 bedrooms in 2300 sq ft?!

that is unfortunate.
224 Greenwood Ave, Midland Park, NJ 07432 MLS# 0000224 - Zillow

Could make very easy living for someone commuting to the city (bus stop across the street). I'm sure they are very energy efficient too.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
there is a post about townhouses in Midland Park, but can't find it for the life of me. I wanted to pass on that the greenwood ave townhomes are up for sale now. Expensive, and they couldn't fit 3 bedrooms in 2300 sq ft?!

that is unfortunate.

Could make very easy living for someone commuting to the city (bus stop across the street). I'm sure they are very energy efficient too.
Proof that housing prices in Bergen County are still ridiculous. $436,000 for 2BR town homes in a not exactly residential area next to railroad tracks in an allegedly "middle class" town. It's the same thing going on in Waldwick.

Knock 100K off the price, add a bedroom, and find a better location in the town and I'd be very interested.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

that is unfortunate.

Yes--I saw them last week when I visited my mother. They are called Rigs Junction or something (when I first glanced at the sign I thought it said Pigs Junctions, lol.)

We thought the first floor was going to be commercial/stores and the townhouses would be on top, but it looks as if the first floor is garages.

Wow, yes, Joe, they are expensive. Especially so since they are on the only real industrial street in Midland Park.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM

103 posts, read 395,107 times
I am in sort of the same situation as the OP. My husbands job is mainly in paterson. Ugh! And we came from Cherry Hill NJ! So it is a huge difference in price for everything! Sad. We want to stay within 30 minutes of the area but not finding anything less congested or cheaper. We have come up with a few towns. Montville, Madison(less taxes), Allendale, Hillsdale and possible the Wyckoff-Oaklands area. And Waldwick(seems to be less expensive but the schools arent as great as the other towns).

I know someone mentioned Lyndhurst and that is where I am right now and the schools are not good. We thought we might stay another year to save even more money but we really hate the schools. And the houses are on top of eachother and that is something I hate.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you come up with! We are going to head to Allendale this week to drive around. Never been but heard good things about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri0528 View Post
I am in sort of the same situation as the OP. My husbands job is mainly in paterson. Ugh! And we came from Cherry Hill NJ! So it is a huge difference in price for everything! Sad. We want to stay within 30 minutes of the area but not finding anything less congested or cheaper. We have come up with a few towns. Montville, Madison(less taxes), Allendale, Hillsdale and possible the Wyckoff-Oaklands area. And Waldwick(seems to be less expensive but the schools arent as great as the other towns).

I know someone mentioned Lyndhurst and that is where I am right now and the schools are not good. We thought we might stay another year to save even more money but we really hate the schools. And the houses are on top of eachother and that is something I hate.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you come up with! We are going to head to Allendale this week to drive around. Never been but heard good things about it.
Allendale is a nice town, but pricey. Some newer houses mixed in with older--up to about 20 - 25 years ago there were still horse farms and the town had a small-town "country" feel. Now it's upscale and from some people's perspective, a bit snobbish.

I think Oakland is a good choice.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM

13 posts, read 62,928 times
I'd say Hawthorne is a good bet. You could also try North Haledon, Wayne or Pompton Lakes perhaps, although I'm not as familiar with these towns. They are all Passaic County though, which is somewhat cheaper than Bergen County, and are also all not too far from Midland Park.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri0528 View Post

Bergen County is going to be the "nicest" area within close distance of Paterson, but it totally depends on your needs. What's your budget? What else are you looking for?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
How about Midland Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey