Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 09:29 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Poll finds residents favor sports betting at state horse racing tracks | - New Jersey Sports - NJ.com

Says most people do.

I think it would be a great solution. It would be extremely popular, yet not interfere with Atlantic City whatsoever.

Sports gambling will happen online or with local bookies regardless. Might as well legalize it and attract some outside dollars into the state.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 AM

158 posts, read 590,259 times
This has been an issue that I am passionate about simply because prohibition, in any form, does not work. All it does it push the activity underground and make crime profit from it.

If sports betting were legalized, the state could generate much needed income. They just need to set up a system that doesn't involve too much headache or red tape or people will not utilize it.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Flossin' View Post
This has been an issue that I am passionate about simply because prohibition, in any form, does not work. All it does it push the activity underground and make crime profit from it.

If sports betting were legalized, the state could generate much needed income. They just need to set up a system that doesn't involve too much headache or red tape or people will not utilize it.
yes, Just Flossin said it all

Old 03-23-2010, 06:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Probably not gonna happen, didn't you see what happened with Delaware? They spent a lot of money preparing for the possibility of having sports gambling, but they got shot down and now you have to be able to pick 3 games correct in order to win anything.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I would be for it, but I believe that it really can't be done without some major work.

Back in 1992 NJ failed to pass a vote on placing the option for leaglized sports betting on the ballot. Federal law now prohibits legal sports betting in all states except: Delaware, Montana, Nevada and Oregon.

I think last year Corzine was contemplating suing the federal government to get the right, but no one thought there was even a chance of winning.

So, for sports betting to happen in NJ, it would take an act of Congress.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I would be for it, but I believe that it really can't be done without some major work.

Back in 1992 NJ failed to pass a vote on placing the option for leaglized sports betting on the ballot. Federal law now prohibits legal sports betting in all states except: Delaware, Montana, Nevada and Oregon.

I think last year Corzine was contemplating suing the federal government to get the right, but no one thought there was even a chance of winning.

So, for sports betting to happen in NJ, it would take an act of Congress.
and that imo is just stupid!! Super Bowl, March Madness..the bookies are raking it in and no taxes paid...lol and soooooooo many of them now have their call in betting parlors off shore like Costa Rica

Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I agree it is stupid not to have it. Right now, anyone who really wants to bet, can. The only people who aren't are the people like me who would only do it above board and legally. I wish they had it in AC, don't know if there are any race tracks near me anyway.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
and that imo is just stupid!! Super Bowl, March Madness..the bookies are raking it in and no taxes paid...lol and soooooooo many of them now have their call in betting parlors off shore like Costa Rica

One man - speaker Gormley - kept the issue off the ballot.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 AM

158 posts, read 590,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree it is stupid not to have it. Right now, anyone who really wants to bet, can. The only people who aren't are the people like me who would only do it above board and legally. I wish they had it in AC, don't know if there are any race tracks near me anyway.
I presume, like Las Vegas, they would offer online betting to in-state residents. But you never know...this is Jersey. If it makes sense, they'll do the opposite.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Are they offering that in Delaware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: