Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 AM

49 posts, read 196,957 times

Advertisements

I sort of miss Eatontown. It was a pleasant type of suberbia. We lived on a quiet side street off of Broad St. My wife thinks I'm nuts to miss anything about Jersey.Since we don't have a mortage anymore and our finanical scenario is real good my wife is very happy. I see the wisdom of that since if were still in Eatontown we would have another 12 years of paying $1,500 a month for mortage. It definately was a noose of sorts. Jersey had some good points. Not in the winter when sometimes we got a foot of snow and had to shovel out the driveway. Here in Texas you only get some ice, but no one knows how to drive in it so theres alot of accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 AM

522 posts, read 1,585,193 times
What brought you to Texas? I've been to Austin and Dallas and well.... more power to you for living there. I know there is more to Texas than those 2 cities so I am just curious why you picked Texas. Again, I know NJ is not the end all and be all of states, I am just curious.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM

49 posts, read 196,957 times
Default Real Estate and Weather

Those were the two main incentivies for moving to Texas. In that order actually. We bought a 2100 sq. ft. brand new house for the same price that we bought our house for in Eatontown in 1999. The only difference is that we bought our Texas house for cash. The money came from the proceeds of selling the house for twice what we bought it for. Doubled our money in 6 years. Thats because of 911. After that incident nobody wanted to live in N.Y. anymore. So the house prices in Jersey all skyrocketed.
Also the weather in Texas is alot warmer and no snow. My wife and I wanted warmer weather.
The Texas real estate market as I came to find out is really strange. There is so much land to build on that land in alot of places is really cheap. So all your paying for really is the building of the house itself.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,941 times
I totally understand how you feel. My husband & I lived in Eatontown for awhile. We lived in the Brookwood townhouses.

We moved to SC in March. We also purchased a brand new home, with no mortgage. Everything really is great, but I get the "pangs" of missing NJ. It will always be home to me. My husband can't understand what I could possibly miss.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

36 posts, read 168,158 times
I too miss New Jersey-having lived there all of my life and now living in North Carolina due to my husband's job transfer. I miss the food, my family and friends and my old job. NC seems to be easier to afford-we live in a very nice developement, but I'm anxious to go home for the holidays and have some italian bread and canoli's. Can't beat the bakeries in New Jersey!! There are many of us out there that feels your pain. I saw a car with a NJ license plate and wanted to beep and say hey Jersey!!

Old 10-05-2007, 04:27 PM

52 posts, read 181,732 times
Hey, I've been in Texas for 30 years. I still think of things I miss. As long as one of my brothers live in NJ, I'll still feel attached.

The variety of foods that were regional is so much better now. Years ago, in Arlington, there was a Jewish deli. I'd go in for Jewish rye bread. Back then, they figured I was Jewish. No, just a Jersey girl looking for some good bread. At that time, in the 70's the deli didn't last too long.

And I still notice NJ license plates and wonder what part of Jersey they're from.

Texas is pretty big. Take your time but hope you get to see more of it than just the metroplex. I just consider it a larger version of NJ - the shore, Pine Barrens, mountains vs the gulf, Panhandle area, Midland, El Paso, etc. Jersey had a lot for being so small. At least you could get out of the state in a couple hours time.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,092,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailoma View Post

And I still notice NJ license plates and wonder what part of Jersey they're from.
Sometimes I wonder even when I'm just on the road outside Jerze. I think NJ is the biggest-little state in the US lol

Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 15,962 times
My family and I are hoping to leave NJ soon. There are a lot of unique things about this state that make it very special, but on the negative side...the NJ Turnpike (need I say more?), traffic in general, property taxes, rampant development, and my personal pet peeve of having to pay to go on the beach. The beaches aren't even that great, not like Daytona, Myrtle, or Ocean City MD, yet we have to pay a fee. I never got that.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 15,962 times
Oops, almost forgot. If I never have to live through another Nor'easter again I will be thrilled. Either it's 4 feet of snow or 4" of rain.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:45 AM

47 posts, read 156,789 times
We moved out of NJ a year ago and yes, like everyone, the financial reasons are a plus but our hearts are in NJ(born and raised) and are seriously trying to decide if we should go back or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey