Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times

Advertisements

I don't currently live in Jersey or NYC, but there is a very significant chance that I will within the next few years. I've done some preliminary research, just in case, and I'm mostly satisfied except with one major issue --- there appears to be absolutely no way to ride a bicycle into Manhattan from the Jersey City/Hoboken area without biking all the way up to Fort Lee and crossing at the George Washington Bridge.

I get this impression from both Google Maps and the Port Authority's website (which I believe says no bicycles in the Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel).

Is this impression inaccurate? Is there actually some way to cross into Manhattan, via bike, from the Jersey City/Hoboken area? If there's not a way, is there some form of reasonably priced mass transit that would make it practical to get a bike across? (Bus service? Ferry?) I realize one can bring a bike onto a PATH train during off-peak hours, but that's not very helpful if you're commuting to work via bicycle.

Call this nothing more than curiosity for the time being. It just seems very odd to me that there appear to be no realistic options to take a bicycle from Jersey City to Manhattan. For that matter, it seems odd that pedestrians have no realistic options to cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Can you bring a bike on the ferry?

ive heard of people throwing their bike in the luggage compartments on the buses....but i can imagine the bus driver being pissed off about wasting time.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Can you bring a bike on the ferry?

ive heard of people throwing their bike in the luggage compartments on the buses....but i can imagine the bus driver being pissed off about wasting time.

Yes you can take it on to the ferry for an extra dollar.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

83 posts, read 279,090 times
Default Jersey City to Manhattan by Bike.

This is an issue that I am confronting as well. I have recently secured lodging in JC.... and I work in Manhattan. (actually I split my time between JC/NYC and North Carolina, for now, but that's a separate issue).

I am about to get a slightly bigger place in JC, and will be bringing a bike or 2 up here..... cant wait to bike around JC a bit..... been loving it by shoe leather, but need the freedom of two wheels .

Anyway, I have been looking into this myself. I take the PATH train into Manhatten, and bikes are allowed under some circumstances but not durring rush hour. Maybe only folding bikes are allowed.... not 100% sure off the top of my head. The PATH site has all the info, and I guess I should refresh myself on it as well.

Here we are: from: PATH - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
[quote]
Bicycles on PATH

Bicycles are not allowed on PATH weekdays between 6:30 am and 9:30 am and between 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm. Bicycles are permitted at all other times.
  • The bicycle policy applies to all types of bicycles
  • Do not take bicycles on escalators. Bicyclists must use elevators or stairs.
  • Do not ride bicycles in trains, on platforms or the stations.
  • Bicycles are not permitted in the first car of the train.
  • No more than two bicycles are permitted on a PATH car.
  • PATH or PAPD may require bicyclists to wait for the next train.
  • Hold the bicycle while on trains and do not block aisles or doors.
  • In the event of an evacuation, leave the bicycle on the train and ensure that it does not block aisles or doors.
[unquote]

Also, I know that you can ride a bike over the George Washington Bridge which is Fort Lee on the NJ side and the north end of NYC (Manhattan and Bronx) on the other. No other ways to ride that I am aware of.

I havent explored the ferries yet.

Would like to know what others have found out.

diogenesNY

Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I'm a cyclist in Jersey City. The only way to pedal across the river is over the GW Bridge. Bikes are permitted on PATH during off-peak hours. Bikes are permitted on NY Waterway ferries all times, with a $1 fee on top of the regular fare. The ferry is the fastest and easiest way to cross the river if you're commuting, but it is expensive to take the ferry every day.

If you work in Lower Manhattan, another option, which is pretty roundabout, but not as roundabout as using the GWB, is to bike over the Bayonne Bridge to Staten Island pedal across the North Shore, and then take the Staten Island Ferry (which is free) to Manhattan. I've done it on weekends, and it's not too bad. Richmond Terrace (a road along the North Shore) is a bit bumpy, but I prefer it over River Road through Edgewater enroute to the GWB, which has no shoulder and lots of speeding traffic.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 PM

83 posts, read 279,090 times
lammius---

While not necessarily all that practical for getting into work, the Bayonne Bridge/SI Ferry trip sounds like it could be a seriously fun ride.........

Come back by way of the PATH for most of us, GWB for the IronMan.

Hmmm..... wonder how far that would be for a circuit from JC around and back....?

Could be worth looking into...

diogenesNY

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
equ

10 posts, read 49,778 times
I'd like to do this, but in the end the PATH or buses are so convenient that it's just not worth it... Perhaps if you don't mind the ferry fee and if your NYC destination is a nice ride from whichever ferry terminal you're going to... The cycling in should be much better from Brooklyn/Queens (free bridges with lanes).

Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 25,655 times
I believe you can bring your bike on the ferry, however, in addition to the $7.25 ticket, it's an extra $2 to bring a bike. Not exactly an economical option unfortunately :-/

Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 26,615 times
You can always take your bike on either the PATH or the ferry, depending on whether it's rush hour or not. The PATH is cheap but a PITA getting your bike down and back up. The ferry is super-convenient, just roll your bike on and roll it off. But it isexpensive. Either way, you'll save a lot of $$ by living in JC, and it works well enough for getting your bike into New York and around town.

[Remember that going through the Holland Tunnel costs $8 and a 20-40 minute delay]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey