Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times

Advertisements

Let's be honest. They had a walkout today because they didn't want to be in class.

They don't care or don't have the knowledge at what they are walking out for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Maaaaaaybe they should start asking why funding at the federal level was blown off by the NJEA. I'd be irked about that - wait a minute, I am irked!

And if you look at the pictures on NJ.com, it appears most of those kids were either mugging for the cameras or just looking for an excuse to ditch.
I am sure many of them were ditching just for the fun of it but many were not. This is an opportunity for children to become more involved in politics and I think downplaying their interest in it would do nothing but make a generation that is already apathetic even more so.

So maaaaaaaybe you could not mock the kids and degrade their motives and instead talk to some of them. Race to the top was a great idea without a solid footing or FUNDING which would have resulted in even more standardized testing (and incipient costs) and just for the sake of accuracy, NJEA does not accept or decline federal funding.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
A little more on the precious snowflake drug mule:

She's 18 and goes to school at a private college in New York. No kids. Not a tax payer. So she literally does not have a dog in this fight outside of the fact that she's trying to save Mom and Sis's job.

Her sister is a secretary. If she loses her job, it's not exactly hard to find a new position - but she'd actually have to work during the summer! THE HORROR!
I know accuracy and fairness are not warranted in this sort of debate but I feel the need to point out that many school secretaries are year round employees. The year round secretaries in my district make 35K when they have 20 years of service. THE HORROR!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I remember schoold protests. Of course I don't remember why, but we got time out of school.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I know accuracy and fairness are not warranted in this sort of debate but I feel the need to point out that many school secretaries are year round employees. The year round secretaries in my district make 35K when they have 20 years of service. THE HORROR!!!
Then her sister should get a better paying job.

As for her mom, she's making 79K as of 2009 with 21 years of service.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:

Lovely how you think she should get a better job because of her salary, had she made more money then it would be too much. Brilliant stuff

Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Christie says layoffs can be avoided, though, if school employees agree to one-year salary freezes and to start paying 1.5 percent of their salaries toward their health insurance premiums.

Thousands Of Students In New Jersey Walk Out In Protest Of Proposed School Cuts - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/local/walkout.school.students.2.1658638.html - broken link)

Doesn't sound like that much of a sacrifice. I don't know what a teacher makes in NJ, but lets say its on average $50,000 dollars. 1.5 percent of that is $750 dollars.

Giving up a raise for a year, and helping to pay toward your own health care during these very rough financial times isn't asking for an awful lot.

Thanks for the expert analysis. The one year freeze does not save all jobs if really any at all. I love how people think they know but honestly have no idea and just spit out talking points from one side. If you are going to comment on something please be infrormed. If you have an opinion and just want to bash go right ahead but using false information really serves your argument no purpose at all. What Christies says with the one year freeze and what is actually happening are not the same story. I know its hard to believe a polititican might fudge with reality but thats the truth.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Okay. That does not seem out of line in the slightest not based on having a college degree and that amount of experience.

As for the child. So what if she is protesting do to her own families interests? That is how many of us learn about politics and civics, through our own families. Implying that her motives are less than pure is like saying Rosa Parks' decendents' interest in civil rights was selfish. People protest most passionately about the things that matter the most to them. Shocker!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Thanks for the expert analysis. The one year freeze does not save all jobs if really any at all. I love how people think they know but honestly have no idea and just spit out talking points from one side. If you are going to comment on something please be infrormed. If you have an opinion and just want to bash go right ahead but using false information really serves your argument no purpose at all. What Christies says with the one year freeze and what is actually happening are not the same story. I know its hard to believe a polititican might fudge with reality but thats the truth.
bababua... keshishian?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Lovely how you think she should get a better job because of her salary, had she made more money then it would be too much. Brilliant stuff
Actually, my point was, there's a lot of admin asst. jobs that pay a hell of a lot better than 35k. And how did she get this job? In the same school as her mom? mmmmmm... delicious nepotism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey