Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 PM

119 posts, read 384,785 times

Advertisements

Good for them. I wouldn't abide by this nonsense either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Personally, I think 18 would be a more realistic and appropriate age to be able to buy alcohol then 21. But that is not what we are discussing here...

how does a sticker save any lives? All its gonna do is make them a target for the police to pull over. A sticker does not make anyone drive any better.
The same way inspection stickers and license plates make all drivers safer. Accountability.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post

You seem to ask this question as if it is an absurdity, but 18 and younger is essentially the law of the land in most European nations, and they don't have nearly the number of incidents involving binge drinking and drunk driving. Canada also sets it at 18/19. These are not radical laws or nations.
But it is a statistical FACT that the number of fatalities decreased dramatically when the drinking age was raised to 21.

My point as it refers to drinking age and this sticker is that we already impinge upon the freedoms of young people to keep them and others safe. Its hypocritical to support one law impinging upon their freedom and not the other, thats all.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 AM

15 posts, read 19,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But it is a statistical FACT that the number of fatalities decreased dramatically when the drinking age was raised to 21.

My point as it refers to drinking age and this sticker is that we already impinge upon the freedoms of young people to keep them and others safe. Its hypocritical to support one law impinging upon their freedom and not the other, thats all.
In that case, may we also analyze the statistical evidence regarding the amount of accidents the elderly, Asians, blacks, caucasians, and the British are involved in? After all, the latter drive on the opposite side of the road. Do we really trust they will adapt overnight on driving on the right side?

Your point is we should have a sticker for everyone. We're getting there.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Sure, because the federal government removed immediate access to alcohol for a certain segment of the population. Not that all the kids don't drink regardless, but it became less readily available. Drunk driving fatalities would also go down if drinking for 30 year olds was criminalized. It has nothing to do with young people, or 21 being a magic number. And heck, why not bring back prohibition? That'll make the roads safer!

Quote:
Not really, because different laws revolve around different issues. In the case of this law, I don't think young people should be targeted for poor driving anymore than I think seniors should be targeted. Why not put stickers in low income black and Hispanic neighborhoods to signify there might be a higher crime rate? It just sets a silly and ridiculous precedent. I'm glad the young people of this state aren't just totally bending over for it.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:23 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
What facts? Fatalities related to drinking in general? In related to drinking and driving? What?

I am in my mid 20s and my parents were in the age group where NJ had the minimum drinking age at 21, and NY had the minimum age at 18. They both grew up in Northern Jersey, and both of them had a classmate die from a drunken driving accident driving home on those windy roads from Rockland county.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
The real victim here is Kyleigh; she went through all the trouble of making a law and people are not obeying it.

If I made a law - let's say, "Johnny's Law", a law that would make tailgating illegal (I mean REALLY illegal, not fake illegal like it is now, where nobody obeys it), and then if people didn't obey my law, I'd probably start with my friends and family but work my way around to everyone, and I'd be like "Hey, what's the deal? Why do you ignore my law? You think you're better than me? It's not right, what you're doing! SHAME on you!" and I'd work my way around to even people I don't know.

I would also probably take people to court, and sue them.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 19,956 times
Kyleigh did not go through the trouble of making a law. Her mother did.

The circumstances in which she passed are regrettable, but that should not and does not grant the state free reign to profile every provisional driver below the age of 21.

The post above has far too much trust in the police and the state. Even if someone with a red decal is pulled over and is doing nothing wrong, let's be honest here. They're going to write you a ticket for anything they can find, especially the air freshener you have hanging from your rear-view mirror. That's considered an "obstruction" to New Jersey authorities. It's just ridiculous.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM

62 posts, read 312,183 times
I have a teenage daughter who will be driving within a year. I will not have her put stickers on the car. I don't think it is necessary to point out to every pervert out there that the car is driven by a young inexperienced girl. Although one person commented that you can tell by just looking at them - many young women look young but are not, the decal just may confirm what someone already thinks and predators could park near these cars in lots and wait for their victims. Second, I think the police will be targeting these cars and looking for problems.

Lastly, someone mentioned it helps with the one passengar law. However, my child will have more then one passengar in her car everyday. It will be allowed because they are siblings. Do I really want her pulled over every day and questioned because she is driving her siblings to school or activities.

I worked in high school and we car pooled and there were nights that we closed the restaurant and drove home after 11 pm. I was not joy riding. I was working. Do they have any waiver in place for a child that can prove they were leaving a school function or work?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 786,892 times
I do agree this is a stupid law all the problems Jersey is going through they are worrying about teenage drivers this shows you how truly corrupt this state is. Have you see those illegal immigrant drivers? They can't drive at all with their pa license plates. I would rather have a teen driver near me then a uninsured illegal alien driving next to me.

Like i said before a little sticker is not going to save lives or make teenagers drive better. All its going to do is have cops write them horse crap tickets. Try being African American and having a cop pick on you for an half hour. That's why i am happy for police lay offs i can drive in peace instead of worrying about is a cop going to pull me over. Our cops are seriously useless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey