Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Go look it up yourself. I believe it was last year (summer, maybe).
When you make an assertion it is your responsible to back it up.

Second, I have looked and found nothing.

It appears your statement is completely unfounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,708 times
The thing I don't get is this: why couldn't they do it electronically (the same way cops can tell if you're car's registration is expired or not)?

Those stickers are blatantly obvious.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 997 times
My daughter ,who turned 18 a month ago just received a ticket for not having this stupid red sticker. She did not go to motor vehicle to update her license from probationary, but took the stickers off anyway. 100.00 pending fine and a day in court to be wasted , since this is a mandatory court appearance. Guess they do not make enough money at a hundred because now they will hammer us for cost of court. Thanks for lightening my wallet(Kayleigh's mom!) and you bums in trenton

Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,173 times
Quote:
She did not go to motor vehicle to update her license from probationary,
So she didn't do what was required but it's every one else's fault? What did she have to do that was so pressing? If she read the regulations, she would have known that turning 18 does not automatically change to a Basic DL.

So she apparently had done none of these requirements.

Get a basic driver license

You must be at least 18 years old
Complete the unsupervised driving period
Go to any MVC Agency with your provisional license and other documents to pass the 6 point ID requirements
Pay $24 license fee

A DL check would not have shown a Basic DL as none was ever issued. It would show a Permit status as driver's over 18 are still operating in that manner.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
So she didn't do what was required but it's every one else's fault? What did she have to do that was so pressing? If she read the regulations, she would have known that turning 18 does not automatically change to a Basic DL.

Go to any MVC Agency with your provisional license and other documents to pass the 6 point ID requirements
Pay $24 license fee

A DL check would not have shown a Basic DL as none was ever issued. It would show a Permit status as driver's over 18 are still operating in that manner.
Jeez I just don't understand why everyone is a jerk to each other on this forum. Boiling down your post, the only thing standing between this girl and a basic license is an annoying wait in line at the DMV and a $24 fee.

The poster that you were responding to was complaining that this is a dumb system, and your reply only confirms that.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM

22 posts, read 42,901 times
One more BS money grab from the Garbage State.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
In my experience with people I know, Kyleigh's Law is barely enforced. Cops tend to enforce the passenger/time restrictions but often don't ticket for not having the decal.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:24 AM

516 posts, read 1,006,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post

Pay $24 license fee

This is another money grab. What is the reasoning to switch from provisional to basic license before the provisional license expires? Just to pay the $24 license fee a few years early and to spend all day in line? I carried my provisional license for all 4 years that it was valid and switched only when it expired. I've used it to rent cars, travel, etc. just like a regular license. In driver's ed, I was told, licenses issued to those under age 21 are vertical while those for over 21 are horizontal. That's the distinction that is more important for me to pay for, if I want to pay extra at all, since bartenders can just check my DOB on a vertical license as well.

What is the special benefit conferred by switching to non-provisional once your driving period passes? Can't the cops also do a subtraction from the date of issue on the provisional license to see that in fact, the provisional driving period has passed?

It's really hypocritical that Trenton rails against voting id laws citing that it's discriminatory because the cost of getting an ID is too much, but they think forcing teenagers to buy stickers and swap their licenses 3 times as often as necessary is not a financial burden....

Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
This is another money grab. What is the reasoning to switch from provisional to basic license before the provisional license expires? Just to pay the $24 license fee a few years early and to spend all day in line? I carried my provisional license for all 4 years that it was valid and switched only when it expired. I've used it to rent cars, travel, etc. just like a regular license. In driver's ed, I was told, licenses issued to those under age 21 are vertical while those for over 21 are horizontal. That's the distinction that is more important for me to pay for, if I want to pay extra at all, since bartenders can just check my DOB on a vertical license as well.

What is the special benefit conferred by switching to non-provisional once your driving period passes? Can't the cops also do a subtraction from the date of issue on the provisional license to see that in fact, the provisional driving period has passed?

It's really hypocritical that Trenton rails against voting id laws citing that it's discriminatory because the cost of getting an ID is too much, but they think forcing teenagers to buy stickers and swap their licenses 3 times as often as necessary is not a financial burden....
I'm pretty sure this practice of getting a new license at 18 is common in many states.

You have driving restrictions until you turn 18, in many states, if not all. You can't drive with a certain number of people in your car, past a certain time, etc. At 18, you're now free from these restrictions so you need a license that shows that, but you're still not 21 so your license also needs to show that. Makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey