Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 AM

183 posts, read 1,263,370 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any info on Hazlet NJ? It sounds like a nice town to live but would like someone who knows the area to give me info. Schools, neighborhoods, shopping? Is the town old and falling apart like most of Jersey or is it a well kept town. How is Raritan High School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
My best friend grew up in Hazlet and went to Raritan but about 10 years ago. She is a smart lady and enjoyed high school but as for the numbers it is not the best school.

Additionally its a FEMA flood zone and insurance is higher than the norm in Mon Co and taxes are surprisingly high.

I would pick Middletown over Hazlet, and a neighborhood that would put you in the Middletown South high school district.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 AM

great! Thank you.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 98,778 times
I have lived in Hazlet for 10+ years and neither of my 2 houses are in the flood zone that you mentioned, I think you may be thinking of Keansburg which is VERY low lying and yes most of Keansburg is in the flood zone.... Middletown on the water side of of 36 is called the "wet side" due to its tendancy to flood.

In order to get into MS's high school you will be paying substantially higher for a house as MS's high school is considered the creme de la creme of high schools.

Back to Hazlet, I am very pleased with the education my daughter is receiving, granted she is only in grammar school but most of the teachers have 15+ years experience and I was very pleased with their ratings online. Another reason why many of stay in Hazlet is the convenience of the Academy Bus which runs along Middle road enabling us to walk to bus stop as opposed to driving to train/bus station. I have recommended Hazlet to family & friends and will continue to do so. Yes the taxes are higher than many Monmouth CTY towns if you own a new or newer house but as someone who has kids to go thru the school system I feel it's a price I am willing to pay.
regards

Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmemommy View Post
In order to get into MS's high school you will be paying substantially higher for a house as MS's high school is considered the creme de la creme of high schools.
Middletown South is a dump. We had a wrestling match there about ten years ago when I was a junior in HS, after a scrimmage in Perth Amboy. Perth Amboy HS was in better shape than Middletown South. At MS the gym was outside in a bubble because the gymnasiums had room dividers for additional classrooms due to overcrowding. The building looked liable to collapse at any moment. Half the lockers had their doors torn off. Saw in the paper around the same time that the district had been in bankruptcy for many years. No comment on the student life.

Had a meet at North the following year and it was the same deal. Building needed lots of work. Went to college with many students who went to this school, briefly dated a girl (white trash) from there too when I was at Brookdale. I thought South was in worse shape than North, which is funny because the north side of Middletown is considered the trashier side of town while the south side is supposed to be more affluent.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmemommy View Post
I have lived in Hazlet for 10+ years and neither of my 2 houses are in the flood zone that you mentioned, I think you may be thinking of Keansburg which is VERY low lying and yes most of Keansburg is in the flood zone.... Middletown on the water side of of 36 is called the "wet side" due to its tendancy to flood.

Back to Hazlet, I am very pleased with the education my daughter is receiving, granted she is only in grammar school but most of the teachers have 15+ years experience and I was very pleased with their ratings online. Another reason why many of stay in Hazlet is the convenience of the Academy Bus which runs along Middle road enabling us to walk to bus stop as opposed to driving to train/bus station. I have recommended Hazlet to family & friends and will continue to do so. Yes the taxes are higher than many Monmouth CTY towns if you own a new or newer house but as someone who has kids to go thru the school system I feel it's a price I am willing to pay.
regards
For anyone who works 9-5, I could not recommend Academy anymore. I've been taking the bus to Wall Street for almost 2 years now and I can't believe what a nightmare it has become. It's 90 minutes in the evening and even longer in the morning. Unless you can work early hours, I would avoid it at all cost.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
The FEMA flood zone maps were just redone a few months ago, so while more of Hazlet is now considered a flood zone, it's still not the whole town.

You can look it up by address.

Floodsmart.gov: Glossary A-I

Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM

ok thanks everyone!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The FEMA flood zone maps were just redone a few months ago, so while more of Hazlet is now considered a flood zone, it's still not the whole town.

You can look it up by address.

Floodsmart.gov: Glossary A-I
Cool link for more than just Hazlet.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
Can anyone give me any info on Hazlet NJ? It sounds like a nice town to live but would like someone who knows the area to give me info. Schools, neighborhoods, shopping? Is the town old and falling apart like most of Jersey or is it a well kept town. How is Raritan High School?
Hey, I just reread the OP and missed the insult first time around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey