Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 12:51 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times

Advertisements

That's the good news.

Also noted in the Chief Executive Magazine article with regards to population changes:

"according to the Census Bureau, California lost 1.5 million. New York State’s net loss exceeded 1.6 million - the highest of any state. High-tax, big- government New Jersey ranked fourth, with a net loss of almost 460,000, enough to drop it from 10th to 11th place in population...."

"The political elites in the states that dismiss out-migration trends overlook the radical demographic adjustment underway. As higher-income earners leave, they are more often replaced by those with lower incomes and lower skills, many needing public assistance. Gone too are the entrepreneurs and risk-takers, off seeking regions where their job creating abilities are rewarded
."

State Listings:

Best and Worst states for Business 2010 (http://www.chiefexecutive.net/Media/BestAndWorstStates/2010/Default.aspx - broken link)

Article:

Best and Worst States for Business 2010 | Articles | Homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Very interesting data, corresponds to other available data. This is a trend that has to be reversed or the tax burden will shift to people with lower incomes. Chrisitie is on the right track by holding the line on taxes.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 AM

858 posts, read 708,080 times
I think for 1 year under a shared sacrifice pledge, Christie should implement the millionaire's tax. After all...he's telling everyone else to take wage freezes for 1 year. Let's ALL take a hit for 1 year but I'll be willing to bet you he'll call for wage freezes again next year from the middle class while again refusing to sign a millionaire's tax and that's not right. Like I said, people are supporting him this year but if he attacks poor, middle class and seniors next year while catering to the wealthy again, i think there will be hell to pay from the people

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I think for 1 year under a shared sacrifice pledge, Christie should implement the millionaire's tax. After all...he's telling everyone else to take wage freezes for 1 year. Let's ALL take a hit for 1 year but I'll be willing to bet you he'll call for wage freezes again next year from the middle class while again refusing to sign a millionaire's tax and that's not right. Like I said, people are supporting him this year but if he attacks poor, middle class and seniors next year while catering to the wealthy again, i think there will be hell to pay from the people

Nope as this study shows, NJ is very business unfriendly which in turn keeps wealth from moving into the state, which inhibits job creation which increases unemployment. The time to end our addiction to taxes is now. We must stop shooting ourselves in our foot.

Those who want to soak the rich are the ones attacking the poor and middle class. Who would want to come here and create jobs if we make it clear we don't want them?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 AM

162 posts, read 312,960 times
So the middle class should continue to the foot the bill in nj? Chrisitie advertises the shared sacrifice so where is it on the high income earners? Exactly

Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 AM

858 posts, read 708,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope as this study shows, NJ is very business unfriendly which in turn keeps wealth from moving into the state, which inhibits job creation which increases unemployment. The time to end our addiction to taxes is now. We must stop shooting ourselves in our foot.

Those who want to soak the rich are the ones attacking the poor and middle class. Who would want to come here and create jobs if we make it clear we don't want them?

then that's fine but then stop preaching shared sacrifice and call it it like it is. Middle class and poor are going to take a hit from the state while they hope private industry comes in and takes over with job creation. if that's what Christie believes then come out and say it and stop dividing the state by turning them against noble professions. How long will that take though? let everyone suffer while the rich get richer and hope they come out of the woodwork in a few years.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
So the middle class should continue to the foot the bill in nj? Chrisitie advertises the shared sacrifice so where is it on the high income earners? Exactly

Everybody is footing the bill. The rich are footing more of the bill since NJ has a progressive income tax.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
then that's fine but then stop preaching shared sacrifice and call it it like it is. Middle class and poor are going to take a hit from the state while they hope private industry comes in and takes over with job creation. if that's what Christie believes then come out and say it and stop dividing the state by turning them against noble professions. How long will that take though? let everyone suffer while the rich get richer and hope they come out of the woodwork in a few years.

Well that is not true. The rich are taking a bigger hit since NJ is a progressive income tax state. Meaning the wealthy pay the highest taxes in the highest taxed state. What more do you want?

And Christie has said this repeatedly.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Make the case that NJ can tax its way into financial prosperity and attract the type of people that create jobs and build wealth and more people will insist on giving more of their hard earned dollare to NJ's political establishment.

So far, nobody has provided anything along those lines to support that position.

Millionaires are already taxed and, as shorebaby stated, with NJ's progressive income tax, paying more as it is.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:04 PM

204 posts, read 635,286 times
Quote:
Rich is already paying their share. I think we are just not in a environment to raise the taxes on them. If we have development and innovation where money is being made, then we can tax our way out of deficit. Look at 30s and 40s where the top bracket was taxed 60 to 90%. Trust me, this will happen at one point because our government is in deep dodo in terms of deficit.

As of right now, what we need to do is taxing the poor and taxing the middle class until the economy is healthy enough to do a crazy tax on the rich. But before that, we as constituents need to get these politicians to stop spending like no tomorrow. These deficits will come back and bite us in the rear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey