Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,361 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will begin working at the University Hospital in Newark and am trying to find a place to live. I was looking at the Harrison neighborhood. Is that a safe place to live, considering it's right next to Newark? I drove through it and it seems pretty desolate, especially at night when I was driving past the train station. Is it safe for a family and is it ok to walk around at night? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmc79 View Post
Hello. I will begin working at the University Hospital in Newark and am trying to find a place to live. I was looking at the Harrison neighborhood. Is that a safe place to live, considering it's right next to Newark? I drove through it and it seems pretty desolate, especially at night when I was driving past the train station. Is it safe for a family and is it ok to walk around at night? Thank you.
I don't know, but I'm interested in learning the answer. I pass through Harrison every day on the train, and from that POV it looks like the pits.

However, a lot of times you see the worst sides of cities from the train tracks.

Harrison is close to both Newark and New York, so it's a good location in that respect, but I don't know anyone who lives there.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
The The North , East , Central wards of Newark are safe , opposite to most people's beliefs. Harrison itself is very safe , the areas near the Train tracks are slowly becoming what else but "Urban Condos". All the Industrial decay and ruins should be gone by the end of the decade. The reason why many area's near the Train tracks are usually industrial ,is that it was cheaper to ship products by rail during that time period. Nowadays many of those areas have gone bust , but New Urbanism is transforming those areas into livable housing developments or retail space. Harrison , Newark and Jersey City are doing that to there industrial areas. So bit by bit you will see Harrisons Industrial past be erased. Have you looked into the Forest Hill Section of Newark = to Harrison , but slighty more nicer. Less of an Urban feel to it, very safe section of Newark.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 AM

431 posts, read 942,446 times
Why not look at society hill in front of UMDNJ, dirt cheap and safe and clean. Cory Booker just came over yesterday doing a meet and greet to everyone in society hill

Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,158 times
The central ward in Newark is terrible once you go west of Bergen St or south of Market St.
To answer the question about Harrison, it's not a bad area but not a great area. It doesn't have the thugs and ghettos like Newark but it doesn't have the instant response police and tight knit family community type feel an area like Livingston would have. It'd be a good place if you're single and know it's temporary but I wouldn't recomend it if you plan on raising a family and living there the rest of your life.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
The central ward in Newark is terrible once you go west of Bergen St or south of Market St.
To answer the question about Harrison, it's not a bad area but not a great area. It doesn't have the thugs and ghettos like Newark but it doesn't have the instant response police and tight knit family community type feel an area like Livingston would have. It'd be a good place if you're single and know it's temporary but I wouldn't recomend it if you plan on raising a family and living there the rest of your life.
You might be scared in Harrison if you are a wussy. Harrison actually is a very tight knit crowd. Just ask the Newark kids who used to venture into Harrison how tight knit we are. Cops are very very fast in responding if anyone cares about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey