Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 PM

16 posts, read 193,393 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Jersey City and hoping someone can answer some questions running through my mind at the moment ( move blues ) .

For a 3 BR apartment (1300 Sq Ft) what the average monthly bill for heat and gas combined ?

What options do I have for the Cable Internet ? Looking at web looks like comcast is the only company and their plans look expensive. I am currently paying $45 to Time Warner. What other options do I have ?

What is average Water and Sewage bill per Month of Quarter ?

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kashyshi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
Comcast is the only cable cat in town. Only other option is DSL which blows.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:54 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Heating and gas is hard to guess since there are many factors like. How well is the place insulated or not. How hot or cold u like temperature to be. etc.

Best advice is call the pse&g to find out average monthly billing for that unit. A baseline you can start with at least before you factor in the other things.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Comcast is the only cable cat in town. Only other option is DSL which blows.
FIOS , Cablevision , Timewarner .....there are a few more probably.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
It depends on what part of Jersey City you are moving too.

I live in the Heights and have Verizon Fios, but there's also Comcast.

Gas and Heat depends on what type of system is used, if the house is brick, siding whatever.

Like one poster said its best to call PSE&G and speak to a rep. They should be able to help you.

I don't pay for water or sewage, it's included in my rent but you can ask the your landlord.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 AM

16 posts, read 193,393 times
Appreciate everyones quick response. I am moving in Society Hill in Jersey City. I did check with PSEG but the lady told me that she thought their bill was on lower side. I dont know its been how long since the home has been empty so little hard to determine the range. I did get a starting point - $70/month.

I dont believe Time Warner, Cablevision serve in that area. I will look at Verizon. Never realized all the benefits of living in NYC !!!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
FIOS , Cablevision , Timewarner .....there are a few more probably.
Cablevision and Time Warner do not service Jersey City. Comcast is available in all parts of JC, and Fios is available in select neighborhoods.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashyshi View Post
Appreciate everyones quick response. I am moving in Society Hill in Jersey City. I did check with PSEG but the lady told me that she thought their bill was on lower side. I dont know its been how long since the home has been empty so little hard to determine the range. I did get a starting point - $70/month.

I dont believe Time Warner, Cablevision serve in that area. I will look at Verizon. Never realized all the benefits of living in NYC !!!
I miss the food if anything but cable/internet service is better for me in Newport/JC with FiOS vs what I had in NYC (had TWC and RCN at different times). More HD channels, better speed, multi-room DVR, etc.

Before FiOS I had Verizon "High Speed Internet" which I put in quotes because it wasn't really high speed at all. But it was cheap (plans starting at $19.99/mo) so I stuck with it vs. paying more at Comcast.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,988 times
Again, Comcast is your best option (and only cable provider) in the area. I hated Comcast (I liked Optimum Online alot better in my old place), but since FIOS is not there and no other cable co are there, nothing else is worth it.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Just a warning IMO PSE&G sucks!!!!!! I don't like how I don't have options here. I would much rather pay multiple companies a month than one lump bill to PSE&G. That was one of my major shocks when I moved here(Bayonne right next to Jersey City) that there is only one utility company here. Isn't that a monopoly???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey