Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,925,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Okay, no one is saying it's perfectly alright to just enter the United States or any other country for that matter. BUT, you have to have empathy. If you're starving in Mexico, and you can't find work, you're a FOOL if you DON'T jump the border. There are massive problems there! However, everyone in both problems is FOR addressing those problem, they just have different proposals on how to do it, and again, I favor the generic democrat model. Stay in country, pay fine, get in line and eventually earn citizenship. Fair enough.

As for the two candidates, I will not cast my vote for someone who is so-called "pro-life," nor will I vote for someone who supports use of the death penalty. IMHO, it's barbaric, does not deter crime, and wastes money. I do not support Martinez's drive to end lottery scholarship for immigrants.

Diane Denish - A New Way Forward (http://www.dianedenish.com/home - broken link)

Help me bring bold change to New Mexico!
So its clear you are a very liberal person and one that would probably never vote for a Republican. Ideologues care far more about the issues you mentioned than your typical independent voter. Though your opinions are valid, I am not sure this helps the main poster develop their decision. If it came down to ideology, the poster would not need any help on the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,925,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I cannot support Martinez for many of the above-mentioned reasons, but also because she has accepted so much money from Texas. With $450,000 accepted from developer Robert Perry and wife so far, it is the largest donation in state history!!! It's outrageous. Is Susana going to sell New Mexico to Texas if elected? Is she having that much trouble raising money from New Mexicans?
Hmm...and I am certain that Diane has recieved no outside donations...
Don't let naivety cloud judgement.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,092,378 times
Quote:
I know a few good Spanish New Mexicans. One of which won't vote for Susana BECAUSE of donations from Texas. Plus, she is supposedly born in El Paso, and he won't vote for someone born in Texas.

I have other reasons, but donations from outta state turn me off big time. Doesn't help with the greater conservatism of the republican party. I won't vote republican after all that has been said and done. ESPECIALLY with the Tea Party thing. Susana seems to embrace that, so GO DIANE GO!
First of all what a narrow minded comment, someone won't vote for a person because they were born in a certain state. Next, donations from out of state, while most of us don't like them unless they are donations from the national party, this is a fact of life. Can you name one candidate that has never taken funds from someplace outside their voting district, whether we are talking county offices, district, state of whatever? Of course you can't..

Nita

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM

9,386 posts, read 20,875,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all what a narrow minded comment, someone won't vote for a person because they were born in a certain state. Next, donations from out of state, while most of us don't like them unless they are donations from the national party, this is a fact of life. Can you name one candidate that has never taken funds from someplace outside their voting district, whether we are talking county offices, district, state of whatever? Of course you can't..

Nita
I'm sure that if the friend had a choice to vote for someone who espoused income redistribuion, expansion of medicaid, section 8 housing and food stamps, that his/her friend would vote for that candidate, regardless of whether he/she was from El Paso, Juarez, or Bangor Maine.

It really comes back to issues for 90% of voters, and ideology. If someone believes is statism, they are going to pull the lever hard and fast for the Democrat, regardless of where that candidate hails from.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmaschiles View Post
I don't even smoke pot... I suppose Native Americans were asking for passports when the Europeans came to this country. The passport law has not been implemented yet. However, the law will eventually be passed because of the hate towards other humans. I imagine NAFTA has nothing to do with those evil illegals coming here to America.
Where did you get the idea NAFTA had anything to do with illegals coming here? I am not sure where you are getting your information but it certainly isn't from the same place most of us get ours, or maybe you are saying the Mexican truck drivers cross the border with produce and just never return.

The passport issue, sorry to burst your bubble there as well, but yes, it has passed. For the past few years, if you are flying in from Mexico or Canada you have to have a passport to enter the country..I think I know a little about this, I am travel consultant and my daughter works for a major airline. May I ask you what countries you have traveled to that do not require you to have passports?

America was not a country when the Europians landed here last I heard,. Maybe you got your history education from someplace other than where I got mine?

These boards are for all to post, which is one of the wonderful things about being an American, we have freedom of speech, but golly it would be nice to have the facts straight when you post something as fact. Posting as opinion is one thing, posting as fact is another. You have totally missunderstood the proposed law..
There is a little more to do with it than trying to keep people from entering NM. You make it sound like, if someone is driving through from say Texas to AZ, they will need to show a passport to cross into NM. That isn't the way it is meant.
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 06-23-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,111,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly
THEY DONT DESERVE NOTHING. THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
So if I'm reading this correctly ( and I think I am ),
they DO deserve SOMETHING, but not "NOTHING."

Old 06-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'm sure that if the friend had a choice to vote for someone who espoused income redistribuion, expansion of medicaid, section 8 housing and food stamps, that his/her friend would vote for that candidate, regardless of whether he/she was from El Paso, Juarez, or Bangor Maine.

It really comes back to issues for 90% of voters, and ideology. If someone believes is statism, they are going to pull the lever hard and fast for the Democrat, regardless of where that candidate hails from.
Mike you are missing what I am saying. I agree, we vote or should vote for candidates that comes closest to sharing our views, but the poster said he has a friend that would not vote for someone born in Texas, that was my point more than anything. That and yes, all candidates take money from donations outside their districts.

Nita

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
"Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses, yearning to be free." That is America. I guess that's not your view. Honestly, they're here. And their children did nothing wrong, even if their parents did. And Bradly, they pay taxes too, the whole "reinvest" thing. It all pays for itself long-run.

Mommy and Daddy will have a well-educated daughter/son. Most likely, the child will press the parents toward legality to better their lives. in my experience, this has occurred every time a child graduates degree in hand.

I agree Burquebinder. I don't know if I could ever support a Republican candidate… I try to be independent, but I just end up voting straight down the line Democrat.
let me put it this way:

first of all, regardless of the education these young people may get they are still illegal and nothing will change that. Many companies will not hire illegals so they can get PHDs and still not be hirable. Their parents are illegal also, how do you suggest parents become totally legal, they can not without returning to the thier home country. So your saying in your experience you have seen these kids after they graduate from college. Wow, at 18 you have seen more than many at 65 or so!!!

You say you try to be indendent but may end up voting straight ticket, won't this be your first experience with voting?

You talk about these kids getting free educations via our government and illegals living here for a better life. They just need jobs and a decent chance. What about all those in America that are here legally and still can't find work? What about those who have been waiting years to come to America? They are going through the legal channeds, what would you say about them? When it was said "give us your poor" etc it meant legally, not send us your leftovers? Ask any immigrant who has come here through the correct channels how they feel about those coming across the border illegally..

Now, answer this one if you can; one of my bosses is from another country and was here for many years on a work visa. He and his partner (both working partner and live in partner) were managing to keep their heads above water. They maintain an apartment, have money for necessities and were able to do some traveling. Well, his visa ran out and he had no choice but to either break the law and stay in America anyway, take an offer from one of several female friends to marry them just so he could stay here or return to his native country and return with a new visa or seek permanently status. He choose the legal way and ethical way. Now he and his partner are separated by thousands of miles, see each other only a few times a year and this has been going on for about 3 years. Why, because the government doesn't think the income from their small business is showing enough profit to allow him to live in America..but you want to allow every illegal from across our borders to come here, be educated and remain. Obviously I totally disagree with you..

Oh and one more thing: you say they pay taxes, well yes, they pay sales tax because other than food everything is taxed. But many of them (a good majority) pay no other taxes or very few. They certainly do not pay income tax...
Nita

Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 AM

9,386 posts, read 20,875,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Mike you are missing what I am saying. I agree, we vote or should vote for candidates that comes closest to sharing our views, but the poster said he has a friend that would not vote for someone born in Texas, that was my point more than anything. That and yes, all candidates take money from donations outside their districts.

Nita
What I am saying Nita, is that I suspect that someone might use the notion that someone being born in Texas would disqualify them from voting for him/her, is that person is really being intellectually dishonest with oneself, and really doesn't agree with the candidate's politics. Which is fine, but just admit that's the reason, and not because he/she was born in Texas. Make sense?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,480,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Hmm...and I am certain that Diane has recieved no outside donations...
Don't let naivety cloud judgement.
For the month of May, Robert Perry's donations amounted to 63% of Martinez' total donations.

Moderator cut: Please, local politics only.

Susana got a bump in the polls coming off the primaries, but there's a long road ahead of the candidates to November. I'm sure Susana will go down in flames when people wake up and see that she's nothing but hot air and empty promises, propped up by sleazy Texas money.

GO DIANE!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-23-2010 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico