Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebo View Post
Now, then, I see two options to increase efficiency: improve evaporation or increase airflow. So, one option could be to increase the surface for evaporation by using more of the mats (I use Aspen shavings). Obviously, if you don't use any, there will be no cooling, and if you use so many that no air flows, there is no cooling either. Somewhere in between there has to be an optimum. Would it improve the cooling capability just to double up on the aspen mats, or would that decrease air flow too much?
I have owned two homes for 11 years in this area and have done a lot of unofficial testing.

More pads is not always better. The "Aspen" pads do not seem to be as efficient as the synthetic pads. The "Aspen" pads fall apart and do not really last an entire season. They don't seem to hold as much water. They are cheap for a reason (my opinion) Thicker pads can sometimes reduce airflow. I found the thin synthetic pads to give me as much as 20°F. (That is the most I ever got at any time. Measured with cheap remote temperature sensors.). But that was with the fan on low.

Make sure your pads fit tight in the frames. if they don't air will bypass them.

If you put a larger motor in, you might find the blower sucking up water, collecting in the ducts, then dripping onto your drywall. Ask me and two other people how we know.

Absolutely insure that you have enough exit area in your house, if you don't, you are wasting your time. Open enough windows to allow the moist air.

For those who have been to the Soda Dam in Jemez. That is what your swamp cooler will look like in a million years or so. I connected a garden hose to my swamp drain, removed the stand pipe, put an open/closed valve at the end of the hose, and used that to drain the swamp cooler water every few days (water plants with it). If your swamp cooler is working, then you are building up mineral deposits in the water.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,602 times
Moving to the Pheonix area as soon as Mich house sells and will want to have a wookdworking shop in a 3rd stall of garage. Interested in the swamp cooler concept, but wondering if dust and tools a problem with filters and rust. Can the swamp cooler be ducted to mount outside and blow into the shop rather than be a in-shop moveable one? Does the wet filter have to be wet at all times whether the system operates only part time?

Last edited by 1handyman1; 07-18-2010 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-18-2010, 03:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,086,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1handyman1
... dust and tools a problem with filters and rust.
I assume that you mean the dust and tools produced and used
in your shop ==> problem for swamp cooler?

No. The cooler uses outside air and blows it into the shop
unlike refrigerated air that recirculates the ( dusty ) air from
your shop. This is a nice benefit since if your type of activity
generates a lot of dust, the swamp cooler can blow it out of
the shop - a benefit to your tools and lungs.

Quote:
... Can the swamp cooler be ducted to
mount outside and blow into the shop
Many many, if not half of the swamp coolers in use, are wal-mounted
units that are put up in Apr-May and taken down in Sep-Oct.

You could also put one on the roof and vent it from the ceiling.

Quote:
... Does the wet filter have to be wet at all times
whether the system operates only part time?
It only needs to be wet when working.

There is no point in keeping the pad wet when you aren't cooling.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1handyman1 View Post
Does the wet filter have to be wet at all times whether the system operates only part time?
Swamp coolers usually have a "Water Pump Switch". You turn off the water pump and it quits wetting the pads. You can still run the blower to circulate and bring in fresh air.

Rich

Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
My grand-daughter turned it all the way down to 65 once, so house temp was probably around 68.

It felt positively arctic when I walked in the door.

I would kill for that. I can't decide if the swamp cooler isn't working as good this year because it's hotter than normal, or if maybe my landlord replaced a part wrong - he's had to do a good bit of repair on the unit this year. I'm ready to shoot him and the unit

Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 PM

By the way, when I got home tonight, the outisde temperature was 97°. I turned on my swamp cooler and checked the air outlet temperature after about 20 minutes--thermometer read 65°, a 32 degree reduction. Relative humidity outside was about 17%, inside about 27%.

Hmmn. Outside right now it's 93 outside, 21% humidity. My swamp cooler has been on high for 2 days now, it's 81 inside and 47% humidity. I cannot get this place any cooler than about 73, and that's around 5:30 a.m What am I doing wrong? I keep two 36" wide windows open about 6" and the bathroom ceiling fan on. Do I maybe need to open the windows more? Crack the front door open about 3"? Turn the s/c fan to low and close a window?

Last year, the S/C would cool this place down to 65 by 11:00 pm, and I'd turn the S/C off all night. I have not been able to do that at all this summer. My landlord swears it's all working like it's supposed to, so it has to be something I'm doing. But what? Arrrggggghhh.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I would kill for that. I can't decide if the swamp cooler isn't working as good this year because it's hotter than normal, or if maybe my landlord replaced a part wrong - he's had to do a good bit of repair on the unit this year. I'm ready to shoot him and the unit
Being hotter than normal could be part of it. What has your dew point been lately? Did your landlord replace the pads?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,797 times
Quote:
By the way, when I got home tonight, the outisde temperature was 97°. I turned on my swamp cooler and checked the air outlet temperature after about 20 minutes--thermometer read 65°, a 32 degree reduction. Relative humidity outside was about 17%, inside about 27%.

Hmmn. Outside right now it's 93 outside, 21% humidity. My swamp cooler has been on high for 2 days now, it's 81 inside and 47% humidity. I cannot get this place any cooler than about 73, and that's around 5:30 a.m What am I doing wrong? I keep two 36" wide windows open about 6" and the bathroom ceiling fan on. Do I maybe need to open the windows more? Crack the front door open about 3"? Turn the s/c fan to low and close a window?

Last year, the S/C would cool this place down to 65 by 11:00 pm, and I'd turn the S/C off all night. I have not been able to do that at all this summer. My landlord swears it's all working like it's supposed to, so it has to be something I'm doing. But what? Arrrggggghhh.
Our swamp cooler was fine during the hot weather a while back, but last week it started to not cool off. We called the realty company who said it was most likely the humidity in the air, but they'd send a tech out to check it. Come to find out, the pump needed replacing. Working great now.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM

Cue the Twilight Zone music...my landlord just called to see how the S/C was working (hmnn, wonder if he lurks on the forum here?). He's very good about changing it over for the summer - new pads, checks the motor, etc. He was up there this weekend to check on the noise I reported and said the pump went out so he replaced it, it is running much quieter He's already replaced the pump twice this summer, poor guy. He's going to look in a bit to be sure the pads are getting wet, but he said his place isn't cooling down as well either. We both figure it must be the heat. Good thing I bought some fans Sunday! Even if he can't get it to cool any better, I do feel better knowing it isn't my imagination that it's not cooling - just hotter than usual. Bummer, but I console myself with the thought that there's only a few weeks of this weather here.....

Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM

801 posts, read 2,213,330 times
Quote:
Okay...with a temp of 97 and relative humidity of 17%, the dew point would have been about 45. The wet bulb temperature (the temperature you can cool the air by evaporating water into it) would be 64. Since you measured 65, that sounds like a very efficient swamp cooler to me. That makes me wonder, since it has been hotter than normal this July...how much heat flux do you having coming into the house through storage in the walls, attic, elsewhere?

It just sounds like...if your swamp cooler is outputting air close to the wet bulb temperature...it's doing a good job, but it can't compete with the heat coming through the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico