Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM

9,381 posts, read 20,847,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting bit of trivia - Pat Garrett was hired to look into the Fountain's disappearance and to that end was appointed sheriff of Dona Ana County. There is marker in Las Cruces, on the east side of Bataan Memorial, the frontage road that parallels Highway 70, that commemorates his murder, though not the actual site. It is between the Roadrunner Parkway and Mesa Grande exits.
The actual location of his killing is comemorated by this marker, made by his family in 1940:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Garrett_Memorial.jpg (broken link)

Here's a map I made that shows how to get there. You have to hike the power lines behind Onate H.S. to access it.

Heberer Loruius case in Albuquerque Journal-garrett.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,901,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I bought a copy, and try as I might, I couldn't finish it either. It seemed more like someone's dissertation than an actual book meant to be read by a wide audience. Very dry and repetitive. Too bad since it is a fascinating bit of New Mexico history.
Thanks, TL24....now I know it's not just me. It was an absolute sleep-inducer.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,923,544 times
I found this added piece of information on Garrett's actual death site marker on Wikipedia:
Quote:
The location of the shooting was marked by Pat's son Jarvis Garrett in 1938-1940 with a monument of his construction. The monument consists of cement laid around a stone with a cross carved in it. It is believed that the cross is the work of Pat's mother. Scratched in the cement is "P. Garrett" and the date of his killing.

The location of this marker has been a fairly closely kept secret, but is now being made public because the city of Las Cruces is annexing the land where the marker is located. An organization called Friends of Pat Garrett has been formed to ensure that the city preserves the site and marker.

Garrett's grave and the many graves of his descendants can be found in Las Cruces at the Masonic Cemetery.
Incidentally:
Quote:
Garrett, who was appointed Doña Ana County sheriff on August 10, 1896, and elected to the post on January 4, 1897, believed that he would never get a fair hearing regarding his evidence (in the disappearance of Col. Fountain and son) while Fall was in control of the courts. Therefore, Garrett waited two full years before presenting his evidence before the court and securing indictments against the suspected men. McNew was quickly arrested, and Lee and Gililland went into hiding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico