Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times

Advertisements

The next time someone posts to the NM forum about their concern for coyote attacks, perhaps it would be good to refer them to this article. After all, when is the last time you read about a person being actually attacked by a coyote in NM? This is in today's news:
Quote:
RYE, N.Y.
A coyote has attacked a 3-year-old girl playing in her backyard in suburban New York, the second coyote attack on a child in the same suburb within four days.

The latest attack occurred as Rye Police Commissioner William Connors was addressing a group of residents about the last coyote attack.

On Friday, two coyotes attacked a 6-year-old girl in her front yard. She was treated for scratches and bites at a hospital and released.
The two attacks happened about 1.5 miles apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The next time someone posts to the NM forum about their concern for coyote attacks, perhaps it would be good to refer them to this article. After all, when is the last time you read about a person being actually attacked by a coyote in NM? This is in today's news:
The only coyotes I worry about in Colorado or New Mexico are the two-legged human kind. They are far more dangerous, slimy, disgusting pests than the 4-legged kind.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:25 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Coyotes prefer stealing your pets, dogs, cats, etc.., but they have been known to pack on humans and cattle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/03/ny...es.html?src=me

Quote:
From 1993 to 1997 there were seven coyote attacks on humans in Arizona, with over half in 1997
Coyote Attacks On People in the U.S. and Canada

Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 AM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
Coyote attacks on people are pretty rare in NM. However they use to be pretty rare anyplace! Killing domestic animals, pets, wildlife etc. is a common occurance. I know one person here on the mountain that lost her small dog while she was walking it, on a leash
Most stray small dogs and cats don't last long around here.
But anyway, I don't like to take chances so at 0400 tomorrow morning I'm headed out with a couple of friends to see about thinning the population some

Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Last fall a Canadian woman was killed by two coyotes. I read an article in National Geographic that said they were actually wolf hybrids... which is the worst mix. The boldness and adaptability of coyotes, and large enough to attack and kill humans. Apparently these are fairly common in the NE but not around here.

Canadian folk singer killed by coyotes, park official says - CNN.com

Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 PM

70 posts, read 288,004 times
Just had an encounter this morning within the city limits of Alamogordo. Took my dog out to exercise off lead in a open undeveloped field and had two adult coyotes approach at a steady trot toward my dog who had ranged out to about 30 yds. from my wife and I. Our dog only weighs 40# and stands about knee high and like an idiot I didn't bring any self defense items with me as I usually do. I called my dog back to me and of course he, like he's trained to do returned at a run and still had'nt noticed the coyotes as yet. As he passed me to catch up to my wife who was walking back to get the car and bring it up, the coyotes broke into a fast trot. I (and go ahead and start laughing at this point) starting throwing whatever was at hand toward the coyotes and yelling at the top of my lungs while standing my ground. They broke off and kinda circled so I kept myself between them and my wife and dog and continued to throw rocks and yell while backing towards the car.
Apparently they tired of all the insults and broke contact and trotted off to about 20 yds and continued to watch us until we left.
To those of you that live in town the location is just past the train tracks off of First St and before the loop/bypass road. The area was around the solitary bldg. ruin on the left.
We have noticed a lot of jackrabbits in that area and i'm sure they're numbers are what drew the coyotes in.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereznm View Post
Just had an encounter this morning within the city limits of Alamogordo. Took my dog out to exercise off lead in a open undeveloped field and had two adult coyotes approach at a steady trot toward my dog who had ranged out to about 30 yds. from my wife and I. Our dog only weighs 40# and stands about knee high and like an idiot I didn't bring any self defense items with me as I usually do. I called my dog back to me and of course he, like he's trained to do returned at a run and still had'nt noticed the coyotes as yet. As he passed me to catch up to my wife who was walking back to get the car and bring it up, the coyotes broke into a fast trot. I (and go ahead and start laughing at this point) starting throwing whatever was at hand toward the coyotes and yelling at the top of my lungs while standing my ground. They broke off and kinda circled so I kept myself between them and my wife and dog and continued to throw rocks and yell while backing towards the car.
Apparently they tired of all the insults and broke contact and trotted off to about 20 yds and continued to watch us until we left.
To those of you that live in town the location is just past the train tracks off of First St and before the loop/bypass road. The area was around the solitary bldg. ruin on the left.
We have noticed a lot of jackrabbits in that area and i'm sure they're numbers are what drew the coyotes in.
Wow what an experience.

We had a coyote kill our beloved cat up at our place in northern NM.

I was hiking in Denali Nat'l Park & had a coyote back me up an embankment snarling. She has a pup down below me in the stream bed. I was by the park road, a shuttle bus came along & drove her away.

It's no wonder there are so many coyote trickster tales.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:19 PM

70 posts, read 288,004 times
[quote=bongo;14898359]

It's no wonder there are so many coyote trickster tales.

Now you've got me wondering. As we live and work on a Navajo reservation were they coyotes or shape shifters? However it was early morning so I gotta go with coyotes.
I'm so sorry you lost your cat as we do understandably dote and get overly attached to our animals. Our little rez dog has become one of the family.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
I spent 10 years teaching out on the Navajo reservation & only saw coyotes LOL. Actually, I heard them more than I saw them. We adopted one of the millions of dogs dumped at our BIA compound & he too has become one of the family.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I used to be skeptical about coyote attacks, until I started seeing signs in Colorado informing the public what to do when encountering a coyote. It seems that coyotes coming into urban areas are more used to people, and a greater threat.

Still, I wasn't really taking it seriously.

Then one Sunday morning, I was walking my pup, Bigun, along a construction clearing across the river from Golden, CO's river walk, trying to find if the trail continued on the other side. There were sports fields up the hill, and I figured I could pick up a trail there.

Just as my eyes cleared ground level of one of the fields, I noticed a statue of a coyote in the middle of the field -- or at least that's how my brain first registered it. It didn't move a muscle. Then, I realized that no one would make a statue in the middle of a ball field -- and certainly not that rangy looking. What was chilling was it stared right at my eyes the whole time.

I backed down the way I came, and dragged Bigun along -- hoping he wasn't going to give us away. I looked back several times, but it never followed.

I don't ever want to encounter another. I don't want them killed, but I also don't want them around me. Guess that makes me a NIMBY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico