Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,686,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
They are. They are stupid indeed. Just like all the New Mexicans that think New York State is a city.
Bingo. Having spent time in NM and was amazed at how many thought NY was just NYC, I said look at a map of New York state.

Some were amazed that NY had farmland and mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,078,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Let's not make things too hard on people; teaching the geography of far-off lands rightfully takes second place to teaching people to balance a checkbook, drive a car, flip a burger, make change, write their own name, and not pee their pants.

Given the average level of proficiency with the tasks just mentioned, maybe knowing exactly what New Mexico is suddenly isn't so important.
This is hilarious!!! Yes, I rated this post positively, but wanted to do more..(: VERY funny.
And, I am HORRIFIED to read this thread, dated August 2010 and find this to be true, re: people not knowing NM is a state!!!! I had no idea...
I just thought it was bad enough that my family and others I've met thought (and continued to think, even after I clarified), that South Africa is NOT the capital of Africa. (even tho' I lived in east africa and attempted to discuss the geography with them, as a point of clarification.) Yes, folks, people thought that 'Africa's' president was Mandela. With such proud certainty that they were up on world events. Meh. Africa. South Africa. Potato. Potato.
But, wow, not knowing NM is a state---that takes the cake. I do recall most of us memorizing the US states and their capitals in school...guess that's gone by the wayside now.

The TX people in particular have no excuse.
Though I can see why France, Spain, etc, etc, know all of their neighbors intimately-these are very small countries....and you must know your neighbors, ya know?
Oh, and to the other poster: I am not very specific in terms of punctuation, etc on a forum. And I am specific in letters and personal emails to people. But I do my best with spelling and sentence structure, in any context. (:

Last edited by lrmsd; 08-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,100,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd
... France, Spain, ... these are very small countries....
I'd call them pretty normal-sized countries.

The United States is an enormous country.

France is 211,209 square miles and Spain is nearly as big at 194,885 sq miles.

After Alaska, only Texas is bigger at 261,797. California is next at 163,696 sq mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd
Oh, and to the other poster:
I am not very specific in terms of punctuation, etc on a forum.
And I am specific in letters and personal emails to people. But
I do my best with spelling and sentence structure, in any context. (:
Well, at least you are not atrocious. Some people are a pain to ( try to ) read.

In any case, practice makes perfect, or at least, begets constant improvement.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 AM

433 posts, read 1,145,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I do recall most of us memorizing the US states and their capitals in school...guess that's gone by the wayside now.
(:
A friend of mine told me that they aren't teaching cursive writing in schools in this area. I remember my teachers making me slave over getting the letters just right. My handwriting is still atrocious but at least I know how to do it. I know that people don't generally write letters and such but I think it is a necessary thing to know. If schools aren't teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic what are they teaching children?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
A friend of mine told me that they aren't teaching cursive writing in schools in this area.

If schools aren't teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic what are they teaching children?
They are teaching cursive in the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho area, as that's where my grandchildren learned cursive.

Schools aren't teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Unfortunately a high percentage of the children are not learning it.

Correction should read:

Schools are teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Unfortunately a high percentage of the children are not learning it.

Why those children are not learning is a question which is constantly being discussed and argued. There is no proven answer.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-26-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,765,710 times
Hopefully, Rich meant "Schools ARE teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Unfortunately a high percentage of the children are not learning it."

Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Hopefully, Rich meant "Schools ARE teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Unfortunately a high percentage of the children are not learning it."
Thank you, I stand corrected, I plead the "I am on my first cup of coffee rule".

Rich

Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,044,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They are teaching cursive in the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho area, as that's where my grandchildren learned cursive.

Schools aren't teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Unfortunately a high percentage of the children are not learning it.

Correction should read:

Schools are teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Unfortunately a high percentage of the children are not learning it.

Why those children are not learning is a question which is constantly being discussed and argued. There is no proven answer.

Rich

maybe not all the schools teach cursive, and maybe this is a recent thing, I dont know, but all teachers are different.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,223,094 times
Back on the original topic, when a sizable percentage of high school seniors can't find Europe on a world map, it doesn't surprise me that they don't know that NM is a state.

I remember being taught cursive in the third grade. I suppose it's not as important now since everything has a keyboard, but it would still be nice to be able to sign one's checks, although they're on the way out too.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 AM

103 posts, read 303,548 times
The ignorance of basic geography by the typical American is astounding and a disgrace.

The good old cross-country road-trip works wonders for teaching kids geography of the U.S.
Use a U.S. paper map!

(Hell, 18% of Americans thought President Obama was a Muslim therefore 18% of Americans are certified idiots)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico