Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,038,819 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been out to Peña Blanca to Dixon Apple Orchards this week?

Yesterday was opening day for the season.

We sat in line for an hour out in the long line of cars for the last mile into the orchard, then stood in a long line of people waiting to get into the building for apples.

But .. the line was moving fast, and we talked to some friendly people in line.

We got a bushel of champagne apples and a gallon of apple cider.

If you have never made the September trip out there for apples, don't miss the chance for a real neat New Mexico experience. The champagne apples are absolutely awesome, the cider is excellent, and the setting in a high valley of the Jemez Mountains is very scenic. Be sure to go in the next few days - they sell out in just a few days after opening.

Now I'll be busy making applesauce, pies, kuchen, cobbler, and fritters. yummmmm..... love apple season.

Dixon Apple Orchard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 03:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,418,556 times
What time did you get there?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Has anyone been out to Peña Blanca to Dixon Apple Orchards this week?

Yesterday was opening day for the season.

We sat in line for an hour out in the long line of cars for the last mile into the orchard, then stood in a long line of people waiting to get into the building for apples.

But .. the line was moving fast, and we talked to some friendly people in line.

We got a bushel of champagne apples and a gallon of apple cider.

If you have never made the September trip out there for apples, don't miss the chance for a real neat New Mexico experience. The champagne apples are absolutely awesome, the cider is excellent, and the setting in a high valley of the Jemez Mountains is very scenic. Be sure to go in the next few days - they sell out in just a few days after opening.

Now I'll be busy making applesauce, pies, kuchen, cobbler, and fritters. yummmmm..... love apple season.

Dixon Apple Orchard.
well we have to be happy with AR and MO apples, but they are good and cheap. Yep, I will be doing the canned apples (for pies and cobblers later on) plus making apple butter either in the next couple of days or the first of the week.

Enjoy!!!

Nita

Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What time did you get there?
Left our house at 7:50 a.m., got there at 8:45, sat in line till 10:15, were at the orchard till 11:30, and got home around 12:30 pm. Almost 5 hours total!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM

51 posts, read 115,842 times
Default Dixon's Apples

It took us 3 years since moving here to get out there. The long line to get in was well worth it! Wow, those champagne apples are amazing! I'm looking forward to the sparkling burgundy apples to be ready!

Anyone have some great recipes to share? Things I can freeze would be awesome!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,418,556 times
I went yesterday, got to the parking lot at about 12:30 and waited in line for about a half an hour before walking out with my apples. There was no line to speak of at 1:30.

No cider until Monday. I was very disappointed because that was why I went up there. At least I got some apples :-)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 AM

We got cider on Thursday.

Wow!!!!! It is very good.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,455,196 times
I can't deal with Dixon. I like the Manzano Mountain Retreat orchards much better, although it's more of a drive but a scenic drive. It's much more relaxed and doesn't have the frantic crowds I've seen at Dixon:

Apples, Apple Cider and Apple Festival, New Mexico - Manzano Mountain Retreat

Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM

I didn't find the crowds at Dixon "frantic" at all.

Yes, there were a lot of people, but the atmosphere was kind of festive, and we talked to many really nice people waiting in line, and no-one seemed hurried or frustrated by the size of the crowd. The Dixon owners and employees do a great job of keeping everything efficient and as quick as possible getting in and out with such large numbers of people.

There was plenty of parking...and yes, you sit in line for a long time waiting to park, but it is part of the experience and nothing I saw on opening day appeared frantic in any way.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,455,196 times
What I've experienced at Dixon was a little like the day after Thanksgiving at the mall with crowds of people trying to buy up as many apples as they can before they're all gone. Yes I met friendly people and the atmosphere was festive but I don't care for the crowds.

If you try Manzano Mountain (near the town of Manzano) you'll see what I mean about how different it is. There was no wait for parking, there wasn't even a line to wait in to buy their apples. We enjoyed a delicious caramel apple while strolling around the place, it's a beautiful area and a relaxing experience. Dixon isn't the only place in the state for apples and ever since I "found" Manzano I haven't wanted to go back to Dixon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico