Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,244,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up7down View Post
that article incorrectly stated that the Geometrical Center is west of the other one, when it is actually east of it.
That makes sense. The Bootheel is on the southwest corner and adds area to that side of the state, so to 'balance' it would require a more westerly point for the geographical center.

Quote:
PLEASE COME VISIT US! And ask for LJ.
I'd love to! Thanks for the invitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,205,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up7down View Post
I would be most pleased to welcome you to the Geometrical Center of NM. As you stated, this is the point where the NM map diagonals cross.
I don't understand why anybody would care to visit the geometric center of NM. Don't misunderstand me, I love New Mexico and there is serious possibility that I may move to NM and spend the rest of my life living in NM.

But, what significance does a geometric coordinate have? I questioned (in my previous post) what significance the 4 corners monument has? Particularly considering it is arguably in the wrong location.

What significance does the geometric center of any state have, other than tourism? What significance does the geometric center of the US have? (Kansas, right? I forgot...)

I recommend instead that everybody should get a list of US national parks and visit them instead. Here's a list: United States National Park Service

And while you're chawing on that, let's not forget New Mexico's state parks.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,105,239 times
I am bumping up an old thread. In the summer of 2011 I was on a road trip and was determined to visit the Four Corners Monument. It was so cool. I now can say I have been in four places at once. I got some pictures but when my laptop crashed last summer I lost them all. Gotta back up and save things like that. I thought it was worth it. Really cool.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
Still on my 'bucket list". Just not as close to the top as before. I want to drive the Targa Newfoundland first. That is about as far away from NM as you can get on the North American continent.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,518,624 times
Glad I clicked on this old thread, loved the 1956 picture and the newer ones. We took our kids there maybe 15 years ago think its the same Fry Bread stand. Showed the 1956 pic. to my husband who had been there in 50s and he said no wonder I didn't remember much, not much there back then. Our kids have such great memories of the trips we took out west. Well worth suffering in the car for 3 days with them while we drove to NM

Old 10-08-2013, 12:33 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,550,457 times
Are we there yet?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 PM

471 posts, read 980,158 times
Sounds like a schlocky hokey tourist trap, especially if it really isn't at the geographical four corners. Kind of like going to Cline's Corners, but at least they have great restrooms!

Save all the gas it takes to get there and back, save the $3.00 a person the Indians charge you, save the $$$ you will spend on stuff because you are both bored and hungry, and just stay here in Alb and spend a day seeing the sites...if you really want to, you can just tell your friends you stood on the "corners" and watch and see how impressed they really are...

Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 AM

10,774 posts, read 23,924,495 times
Been there a couple times. It's not so much a destination but rather a place to stop on the way to somewhere. I hit it on my way back from Utah. I hung around for about 10-15 minutes, interesting for photos but that's about the jist of it. One guy there cracked a joke, "careful, you may owe taxes in all 4 states" - slap knee.....aha ha ha

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-05-2013 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-10-2016, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,809 times
Default Four Corners around 1961/63

Cool photo, Uggabugga! I was searching for older photos of Four Corners and love yours. I logged in just to share this shot from our visit there when I was very young. There was nothing there but the concrete monument by the side of the road. No touristy stands.
Attached Thumbnails
Four Corners Monument-63_e-4corners_fx_sm.jpg  

Last edited by elf1; 03-10-2016 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-11-2016, 07:49 AM

53,071 posts, read 34,889,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf1 View Post
Cool photo, Uggabugga! I was searching for older photos of Four Corners and love yours. I logged in just to share this shot from our visit there when I was very young. There was nothing there but the concrete monument by the side of the road. No touristy stands.
nice shot!
what year was this taken? i remember it looking about like that when i was little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico