Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 05:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,894,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
No doubt, the year you pick up and move, there will be record snowfall in the Sacramentos and great skiing at Ski Apache and Cloudcroft! It seems to always work that way.
I'm cringing at my terrible sentence structure....I should have said "Neither Farmington NOR Cuba can compare..." I changed the sentence and forgot to change "and."

And....you're right. It has already happened. The season that Cloudcroft opened (and it rarely ever does, as far as I remember) and Ski Apache had its best season in years....I took that season off to save money for moving and to explore different places.

I went to Sipapu (north of Las Vegas, NM) after having been off of skis for 15 years the year prior. The combination of new shaped skis and no real beginner runs at that resort didn't help at all. I never did get my legs back. It was the only area in NM that had some snow that year, so I decided to try it out.

It's OK, but I probably won't be going back. The second day out I hit a bare spot on a narrow trail...and sprained the hell out of my ankle.

I should have gone to Purgatory instead. They always have reliable snow 9 years out of 10, and wide open areas for warming up and practicing.

Live and learn. But you can be sure that if I do leave, it will snow a blizzard!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,149 times
Default Bear in my back yard in Ruidoso

This picture was taken in June 2008. The bear was less than 15 ft away when I opened the back door.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody with NM photos?-bear-june-23-2008.jpg  

Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Funny story about the bear!

On the day we were leaving I got up early and went to put some corn out for the deer as I normally do each day. Instead of deer there was a big brown bear just waking up about 15 ft away from me. I went and got my camera and took a quick picture and closed and locked the door quickly. The day after we left, the hot tub service came by to check and make sure our hot tub on the back porch was clean and ready for the next tenants. When she got there the cover was almost all the way off and the water was absolutely filthy with lots of pine needles. Trish (the lady who services the hot tub) knew we would never leave it like that and couldn’t figure out why it was so dirty. She proceeded to drain and clean the hot tub for the next tenants. After she cleaned it real well, she started to refill it and when it was about 3/4 full she decided to go smoke a cigarette. She went into her car out front to smoke her cigarette (the only places you can smoke in Ruidoso are in your house or car). After she finished her cigarette she went back to check on the hot tub. When she came around the corner guess who was back in our hot tub. Yes, it was the bear. She left running and screaming. Now she knew exactly why it was so dirty. After the bear left she had to start all over again. She told us the bear actually knew how to fold the cover over. He didn't just knock it off the hot tub. He did not damage the cover or hot tub at all. Trish laughs about it now. Now all our guests are warned about the bear when they pick up the keys and are told to keep the cover of the hot tub locked down when not in use and to keep an eye out for the bear. I’d say he is “smarter than the average bear”!

Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 27,597 times
Default Visitor on 3/31/2009

This guy paid me a visit on Tuesday checking out the yard. He was quite aggressive, as in tearing of a few strips of wood from the RR ties lining the yard. He then jumped up on the fence and started surveying his surroundings. As I clicked off a few frames he took notice of the "click" and tried to imitate it and would slowly puff up each time. I started to wonder if this click was some kind of mating call they use and he was trying to look handsome for a mate. Anyone know that much about Roadrunner mating rituals?
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody with NM photos?-roadrunner_03312009_dsc1002.jpg  

Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Inn of the Mountain Gods

A few pictures from the IOTMG
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody with NM photos?-100_0305.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-100_0312.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-100_0298.jpg  

Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,078,659 times
I love everyones pictures of New Mexico!!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM

496 posts, read 1,056,355 times
Love the photos

Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,143 times
Default A visit to Milagro Vineyards & Winery

Photos from a visit to Milagro Vineyards in Corrales. More pics and some commentary on the Wines of New Mexico thread. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody with NM photos?-smcam-102.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-smcam-106.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-smcam-108.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-smcam-114.jpg  

Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,245,123 times
Beautiful pictures.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,143 times
Default Doors of Mesilla

Glad you like em Summerz. Here's a few puertas from my town. I've posted more (most) of this collection in Las Cruces Pictures

Attached Thumbnails
Anybody with NM photos?-032.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-035.jpg   Anybody with NM photos?-029.jpg  

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-26-2015 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico