Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 03:15 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times

Advertisements

Judy! I have Verizon and if memory serves my coverage was ok. Now in some parts of Arizona I will have no service for maybe 100 miles between the Four Corners region to maybe Tuba city (U.S. 191 and U.S. 160) but you are also going through reservation land (Northeast part of the state). I believe you will be good with the cell, depending on your provider of course. Hopefully other people will weigh in their opinions here, can only speak for myself.

Yes, it's a ways between towns on I-25 but I've always have seen state troopers on the roads, it's not that desolate. You'll see a fair amount of truck traffic on I-10. Note: If you take 25 to Las Cruces and take I-10 west, a ways west of Cruces you'll run into a border patrol checkpoint. When I've gone through there it's not a problem at all, only takes a couple minutes. Now when I've gone NM 26, about 5 miles north of Deming I'll see the NM Port Of Entry people set up portable truck scales and there would be a small border patrol checkpoint there as well. Not a problem there either, in fact I remember visiting my best friend in Los Angeles back in 1991 and ran into that particular checkpoint on my way back home even back then.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-28-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 03:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
On my few drives through the area, I think you're able to skip the checkpoints (could be worse but still annoying) both N/B N of Las Cruces and W/B W of Las Cruces if you take NM26.

Still, Las Cruces is worth visiting and having lunch. At least more so than Nutt.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
A week ago Debbie and I went through the Border Patrol checkpoint on I-25 north near
T or C and went through in about 5 minutes. I've been caught up in checkpoints
several times and only once was there any real backup.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM

182 posts, read 707,968 times
JudyDenver,

RE: Cell-phone coverage...

As long as you're on or close to a "Interstate corridor" you most likely have 100% cell-phone coverage...I-25 South from ABQ, I-10 East from Las Cruces, it doesn't matter. You've got it.

Coverage on Hwy 26 where it is furthest away from a freeway? I don't know, but you won't be on 26 that long anyway to cover 56 miles (if it's a decent speed limit) so I wouldn't worry.

What I was talking about re: no cell-phone coverage was when I travel in Eastern NM. I don't "cruise" Western NM really, meaning the "left" half of NM as divided by I-25 -- just the Eastern half. So my entering the no-cell-phone-coverage "dead zone" means leaving I-40 East and heading South on state roads to Roswell, NM. Now OUT THERE you're in the outback with spotty/no coverage whatsoever -- possibly due to alien spacecraft activity in the area (!) -- but not so on probably all Interstates in the US nowadays...note the cell-phone towers here and there along them.

I wouldn't be concerned...cell phone companies have the Interstates covered.

Just to be sure, however, go to YOUR carrier's website and look at their "coverage" map...find NM Hwy 26 and see if you've got it there.

Happy travelling...

Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-28-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico