Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 AM

21 posts, read 37,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I are currently looking to relocate either to Ruidoso or Silver City due to the mild climates offered in each area vs. the weather here in the valley of AZ.

I know from reading the threads on Ruidoso that employment is very hard to find. I currently own and operate a Barbershop and if we move to the Ruidoso area I would want to open my own shop there also.

Therefore my question is this; How many Barbershops are currently in the Ruidoso area and whats the going price for a haircut there?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,183,976 times
There are half a dozen that are actual "barber shops" - as opposed to beauty shops or hair "stylists." I have, for years, paid no more than $10 (plus tip) for a regular man's taper cut. Prices are higher for hair styling.

Hair stylists are much more plentiful for those needing full-service beauty care.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM

joqua,
Is that in Silver city or Ruidoso?

If its Ruidoso, thats strange because I talked to a Barber there today and he said there were only 2 Barbershops in Ruidoso.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
joqua,
Is that in Silver city or Ruidoso?

If its Ruidoso, thats strange because I talked to a Barber there today and he said there were only 2 Barbershops in Ruidoso.
You asked about Ruidoso, and I responded to that. I personally have used THREE barber shops that are open regularly. I know of at least three more that have barber poles, but how regularly they are open I can't say. All three of the ones I patronize are single barber operations, except for the one that sometimes has summer help for a second chair.

Two of the shops I use are women who specialize in hairCUTS - ie: barbers. I don't think either of them would give a shave, but just guessing about that. The male barber I use does not give shaves either.

Walmart also has a barber/beauty shop but I paid more there than at the three shops I patronize regularly.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM

joqua,

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. It seems as though the Ruidoso area is already saturated with Barber shops, thats a bummer.

What are they charging there?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,921 times
Quote:
joqua,

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. It seems as though the Ruidoso area is already saturated with Barber shops, thats a bummer.

Thanks

It seems to me if you were seriously considering a move to Ruidoso you would check it out for yourself and not rely on second hand information. Joqua seems very informed, but you need to do some research and find out for yourself. Ruidoso is a beautiful and magical place. It has about 10,000 permanent residents but with tourists it can swell to over 40,000 people on some weekends. It is a TOURIST destination. Maybe you can find your own knitch. There are a lot of people who own second homes and spend an extended amount of time in Ruidoso.

Last edited by JDTH; 12-09-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
I have, for years, paid no more than $10 (plus tip) for a regular man's taper cut. Prices are higher for hair styling.
In nearby Alamogordo, there is a multi-chair shop where I paid $8.00 the few times I've been there - but not lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico