Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teocka View Post
I have read most of the posts. No one has, as yet, mentioned living in Clovis or Tucumcari. I know that several years ago, Clovis always smelled like a stockyard. Anyway, how are those towns to live today. Besides ABQ, which other city or town has a sizeable Black population? I do theater relating to Black family life.
Clovis has quite a bit of dairy farms fairly close to it which obviously explains the aroma. While Tucumcari is nowhere near mountain ranges, it is somewhat surrounded by mesas that is known as the Llano Estacado. It kind of hugs the Texas border from east of Roswell all the way north maybe 100 miles, maybe more. Tucumcari is maybe 25 miles west of the Texas border, and is 180 plus miles from Albuquerque.

I lived there for a time in '82 and'83 and really liked it. Population wise, maybe 6500 (just guessing) A little over 50% are Hispanic, 45% Anglo. Sadly, it's been a sleepy town for nearly 30 years but in the 50's and 60's was a noted town on the Route 66 highway. Not a lot of job opportunities but there has been some positive things going on there the last couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teocka View Post
I have read most of the posts. No one has, as yet, mentioned living in Clovis or Tucumcari. I know that several years ago, Clovis always smelled like a stockyard. Anyway, how are those towns to live today. Besides ABQ, which other city or town has a sizeable Black population? I do theater relating to Black family life.
I have no idea why you added an off-topic post to a thread that is >2 years old.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
I lived in that area in the late 60's. Do you know the hot springs in Cuba? I loved the Jemez mountain area.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 14,880 times
Mora area is my pick. It's at about 7200' and in a beautiful valley. Only 50 miles to Taos and 35 miles to Las Vegas (Wal Mart) and 25 miles to Angel Fire. The town proper is inhabited mostly by old time locals. The outlying areas, though, are populated with a great many move-ins from out of state as well as long-distance owners. There are a couple of old mills and the alpaca wool industry is in full swing. When I chose this area I was also looking at Cloudcroft but it did not have cultural aspects (music, art ect) that, proximity-wise, Mora had to offer. I can be in an art gallery in Taos in about an hour, down at the Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas visiting with a Hollywood film crew in 40 minutes or take in the Santa Fe Symphony in about an hour and a half not to mention I am within 2 hours of at least 5 ski destinations. Cloudcroft is nice but a little limited for me.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 25,552 times
Default Moving to new mexico with horse

I am a cowboy artist and my husband is a wagon master and we have 4 horses. We have limited income, but need to be somewhere where there are tourists and also inexpensive hay or grazing. We are in Montana and over 9 months of winter and high winds. Looking for trees and green, town with character and cowboy types. Anybody have any great ideas? www.rondakotah.com

Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYCOWBOY View Post
I am a cowboy artist and my husband is a wagon master and we have 4 horses. We have limited income, but need to be somewhere where there are tourists and also inexpensive hay or grazing. We are in Montana and over 9 months of winter and high winds. Looking for trees and green, town with character and cowboy types. Anybody have any great ideas? www.rondakotah.com
Perhaps you should start your own thread on this topic.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Rusty - Your request is worthy of an seperate thread. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM

Default Cowboy artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Rusty - Your request is worthy of an seperate thread. Good luck.
I don't know how to start my own thread.

Teri www.rustycowboy2.com

Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYCOWBOY View Post
I don't know how to start my own thread.

Teri www.rustycowboy2.com
You're going to give up that wondrous place and move???

There is a "New Thread" button at the top of the main page of this forum.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

After 13 years of cold windy winters and driving an hour to civilization, yes, I'm ready to give up this wonderous place. You can't eat scenery. What does a new thread do? www.rondakotah.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico