Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 72,641 times

Advertisements

We're going to Cloudcroft,NM April 19-21. We'll be going to White Sands on the first day but the 2 other days we want to hike around. We will have 2 dogs with us so we can't do any hikes that are TO long. Looking for something under 10 miles. I'm looking for trails that will get us high in elevation, then some that are just FULL of beauty. Also love to see some beautiful canyons. Hoping everything will be low traffic! We'll have plenty of time to hike cause this is all we're doing on the trip! So please ANY suggestions would be helpful!
(and please state what category the trail falls under as far as beauty or elevation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:58 PM

502 posts, read 1,381,446 times
I would make my first stop at the Forest Service. Get you a map and I believe they have a book on the trails in the Sacramentos. Not to rain on your vacation I would also plan to NOT hike as it is possible the forest will be closed by then.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,176,477 times
Much of the information on trails in the area are to be found on web sites for mountain biking/ATB riding - usually referred to as "single track." The Rim Trail which follows along the highest elevation of the "rim" - from Cloudcroft to Sunspot - is considered one of the top ten premiere mountain biking trails in the USA. While in April a hiker might encounter a few bicyclers, chances are about as good that you won't see a one.

HERE'S BUT ONE WEB SITE

It's unlikely the forest will be closed as early as late April, but it could happen. Closures in past years have usually occurred from May into June.

As Mtncat said, a first stop is the Forest Service for their trail map of the area. They sell them - don't give them away - but they are invaluable.

Other options worth considering are forest roads to the north of the village of Cloudcroft. These roads see very little traffic and are easy walking, for the most part, and are in totally forested (undeveloped) areas.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,999 times
Any bookstore will carry hiking books written about New Mexico trails.
Here in Albuquerque, you can get books about the Sandias and Manzanos.

You don't have to hike the whole 5 or 10 miles or whatever.
Many good trails have great 1-2 mile starts that are wide and
not too steep that would be great for the "kids."

Also, just hiking the Forest Roads is a great way to do it!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,515,012 times
Back in 1973 I was walking around with a Ruger black powder 45 cal revolver and lost it. Let me know if you find it up there.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,036,703 times
How'd you lose it? Were you chasing the woman you had in the trunk?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
More than likely running away. FWIW I don't know of any ugly trails anywhere iin NM except for the one by the Santa Rita copper mine. Even that is not ugly but awesome.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:08 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
How'd you lose it? Were you chasing the woman you had in the trunk?
I was walking around with it in my belt. I must have looked an hour for that thing and never found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico