Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,311,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
This is great information to read! Thanks N8! Is Los Lunas the town (south of Albuquerque) that has a senior housing area?
There is one out to the west of LL on old Hwy 6 (not sure if it was renumbered).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

5,056 posts, read 7,444,688 times
So N8!, why did you choose to live in ABQ this time around, if you have family in Los Lunas? I wonder how often people in LL make the trek into Albuquerque, on average. For me, Los Lunas would be a little too sleepy, and with not enough variety in dining and entertainment options. But they did build a really nice RailRunner train station and have plans for developing that area with business and housing.

Last year the LL High School developed a reputation for fighting, it was in the news, parents were astonished to find out that fights were breaking out between students at the rate of about 3 a day. Here's a very lengthy article (http://www.news-bulletin.com/nb/index.php/news/3552-Los-Lunas-High-taking-steps-against-increased-violence.html - broken link)about the problem.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,311,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
So N8!, why did you choose to live in ABQ this time around, if you have family in Los Lunas? I wonder how often people in LL make the trek into Albuquerque, on average. For me, Los Lunas would be a little too sleepy, and with not enough variety in dining and entertainment options. But they did build a really nice RailRunner train station and have plans for developing that area with business and housing.

Last year the LL High School developed a reputation for fighting, it was in the news, parents were astonished to find out that fights were breaking out between students at the rate of about 3 a day. Here's a very lengthy article (http://www.news-bulletin.com/nb/index.php/news/3552-Los-Lunas-High-taking-steps-against-increased-violence.html - broken link)about the problem.
I chose ABQ because I like living in the city better, I always have (and I can afford it). LL is cheaper, quite and laid back.. a great place to raise a family, but my daughter is grown now. If I lived there, I'd always be in ABQ doing something, so I bought a place in town.

To answer your question about how frequently Valencia County residents come to ABQ, I am not sure. But the majority of folks work in the city. My mom commuted into ABQ daily for 30 years (20 min drive/30 miles) and most of the people I know do to (i.e. my sister/friends/non-retired peeps). Although my mom is retired these days, she still comes up for Dr appt's, shopping, quilting supplies, social events about 2-3 times per wk.

Sure LLHS was in the news, but on the flip-side, my niece graduated from there last year with honors and a 4 yr, full-ride scholarship to UNM. She just dominated her first year of college in accounting with a 4.0. He brother graduated a couple years earlier and he's a jr in UNM's Physics Dept.. he too has close to a 4.0 gpa. They were heavily involved with the band in high school and didn't get involved with the slacker/druggie/gang scene. Even though my sis is a single parent, she raised 'em right. Yeah, it's possible.

Last edited by N8!; 05-17-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I wonder how often people in LL make the trek into Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
To answer your question about how frequently Valencia County residents come to ABQ, I am not sure.
I currently know three families who I am aware of who have family members who have been commuting from Valencia County to Albuquerque for over ten years. One family has lived in New Mexico 80 years (and past relatives longer than that). One family member commutes to Santa Fe. All of those go to work daily to ABQ. One of those family members commutes to work with me 1,900 miles one way a few times per year. I'm not going through the whole list...

aries63, why do you have this obsession with people living their lives the way they wish to rather than by your standards? I don't want to walk to work. I don't want to walk to a grocery store. I've done it in the past. I walk my dogs every day when I am not out of town.

Rich

Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,444,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
aries63, why do you have this obsession with people living their lives the way they wish to rather than by your standards? I don't want to walk to work. I don't want to walk to a grocery store. I've done it in the past. I walk my dogs every day when I am not out of town.
Why are you obsessed with putting words in my mouth? Where did I say anything about walking to work or a grocery store? I don't walk to work or to a grocery store either. I know people who commute from Jemez Springs to Albuquerque, and people who commute from Edgewood to Rio Rancho. So what?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM

167 posts, read 598,888 times
I live in Los Lunas and have grown to really like it. It took some time because it is laid back and sleepy but I have a beautiful home and views. I go to town about once a week. I have been working in Belen at the public schools so time was short but now I am off for the summer. I have more time to do other things but work and do chores around the house.

I live here because I got a lot more property than I could have living in ABQ, I have almost an acre and I have a big dog, and wanted land and no one up my ass. I live in Cypress gardens where the lots are big, so no neighbors looking into my kitchen. That is not to say you cant get that in ABQ but it is more expensive and much harder.

As far as the drive, I have gotten used to the drive to town and dont mind it. It is really all in what you want your life to look like, I wanted space and peace so I willingly give up some of the conviences of living in town.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,545 times
We are moving to Los Lunas! yeah!

Both my wife's family and mine are from Belen. I work in Downtown Abq and my wife works from home. After living many years in Los Angeles and now Albuquerque I want to go back to a small community with more land. Currently I live in a 1/3 acre lot in Paradise Hills which is 12 miles from my office. I have timed the commute from my current house and where we plan on building in LL and it is roughly the same even though the LL property is twice as far.

We plan on listing the house in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Do Not Advertise Real Estate.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose
... wanted ... no one up my ass.
I hate that.

It can really be uncomfortable.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
Question Help Needed :o)

Hi. We live in Washington State and are wanting to get away from the rain. Hate to leave friends and family but. . . .from what we can tell, NM is awesome!!!! We have a few horses and would love to be near the Mts. and trails and would love to be in a small town that is say 30 minutes plus out of a "big city". We would love to take a week and visit areas. Any suggestions you may have or insight to the weather (year round) would be most appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times
Most of the info I've read about Meadow Lake is about 3 years ago, as of today is it still a bad area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico