Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM

182 posts, read 469,885 times

Advertisements

On a whim today, I looked up jobs and rentals in Farmington today and found houses in our price range here and jobs we both currently have are open there too. Hmm...a sign maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,387 times
I would suggest Northeastern NM. Raton and surrounding area, on I-25, cool summer temps (80's generally) Winters depend on weather patterns, snow and 30's are not uncommon. Housing is abundant and very affordable. Rentals and potential purchases are available. There is opportunity for small business start up, and resources to assist with such. Low property taxes and cost of living compared to Colo. (where I grew up) I can say geographically that this area is ideal, plus there are many things a person can do here that don't cost anything. We are located in the middle of everything. Good luck with your search! Pam S.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks, Pamela. We've got that area on our list, along with the Riodoso (sp?) too.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,894,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Thanks, Pamela. We've got that area on our list, along with the Riodoso (sp?) too.
Ruidoso....

Wonderful place; I've always loved it, but never did find something in an area I could live with. I looked online for 2 years weekly (with a few trips to look at 5-6 properties at a time) during that period. The agent I was working with would also send me listings from time to time that were not yet listed online.

I wanted to live in town, and the homes in the subdivisions that I really liked had animal restrictions (2 per household, whether cats or dogs), and with 4, it didn't work for me.

But there are other areas without such restrictions. I just never found anything outside of those particular areas that I wanted to make an offer on.

The tourist crush during the summer is another consideration. The place is totally packed.

It is also more expensive to live there than many other places in NM.

But we Texans have always had fun in Ruidoso!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Ruidoso....
The tourist crush during the summer is another consideration. The place is totally packed.
It's primarily only that way on holiday weekends. And weekends in general are busier due to people within driving distance coming then. Weekdays are not that bad, and it's only the summer school vacation period that this holds true. With school vacations now down to about 2-1/2 months.

Any shopping I have to do, like weekly groceries, I do on weekdays - excluding Fridays since the races are Fri-Sat-Sun and Fri is busier than Mon-Thur.

There are about half a dozen "special event" weekends when it gets more crowded, with the worst being the weekend of the September motorcycle rally.

But I would second the recommendation to look elsewhere for anyone contemplating a "blind move." Ruidoso is a place that takes very special circumstances/knowledge/consideration before deciding to move there full time.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 AM

I was there on a Wednesday (avoiding Fridays and weekends for exactly the reasons you mentioned) one time and a Thursday the next, when I was there looking at properties.

It seemed pretty packed to me, but it may have been that it had changed so much since the last time I had been there in 1984. It wasn't the sleepy little ski resort town that I had known growing up in West Texas in the 1950s-60s. It's STILL a resort town, but nothing like it once was.

I found properties I liked in the White Mountain Estates/Meadows areas--I didn't look in Alto (though there were some I liked online) because it was so much more expensive and so much more restricted.

I probably could have found something I eventually liked out in Cree, though. The ones I did find just needed so much work.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times
I'm thinking that Capitan might be a good place to investigate.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM

My list is growing, but the advice is great! My husband and I. Are thinking about just buying an RV and then just finding a place to put it.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm thinking that Capitan might be a good place to investigate.
Investigation is well warranted before making a decision to move into the town. But the same applies to county properties - just in a different sense. Capitan has MANY problems, institutionally. A lot of backbiting by residents seems to be going on at any given moment. The town has had it's ups and downs throughout its history. In today's economy it seems to be in one of its tailspins.

Climate and its attractive setting are it's two most salient traits. I don't think anyone would call the town itself attractive. Lots of old dilapidated homes as well as many many trailer homes and cheaply built modulars.

Quote:
Cathy on Ruidoso: It seemed pretty packed to me, but it may have been that it had changed so much since the last time I had been there in 1984.
A LOT has changed since 1984, just like virtually everyplace else in that period of time. It's still possible to drive the longest length of the town in 15 minutes, even on busy weekend days. Avoiding the tourist shop area in mid-town is the key to doing that. Knowing the alternate routes is also necessary. There are basically three options for getting from Alta to Ruidoso downs.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM

A LOT has changed since 1984, just like virtually everyplace else in that period of time.

I know....*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico