Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 PM

47 posts, read 168,075 times

Advertisements

I have tried doing some research on the Hatch chile crop this year. All I have read have been conflicting reports. One article said a crop shortage and another said plenty of chile this year, but will be hotter due to the rain shortage.

Can anyone give me an update on the Hatch chile this year. Have they already started harvesting. We usually make the trip to buy chiles the last of Aug. but a little afraid we might miss out if we wait that long.

Any info would be apperciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droys View Post
I have tried doing some research on the Hatch chile crop this year. All I have read have been conflicting reports. One article said a crop shortage and another said plenty of chile this year, but will be hotter due to the rain shortage.

Can anyone give me an update on the Hatch chile this year. Have they already started harvesting. We usually make the trip to buy chiles the last of Aug. but a little afraid we might miss out if we wait that long.

Any info would be apperciated!!!
This is all I have seen published over and over...

Smaller chile crop expected due to water scarcity
Published 01:37 p.m., Sunday, July 17, 201

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) —

1. Green chile farmers in the Hatch and Mesilla valleys in southern New Mexico expect a smaller crop during this season due a scarcity of water.

2. Several processors told the Albuquerque Journal that they didn't expect to be affected much by the smaller water allotment from the Rio Grande, because they generally buy chile from farmers with wells who can deliver on prearranged contracts.

Read more: Smaller chile crop expected due to water scarcity - San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Smaller-chile-crop-expected-due-to-water-scarcity-1469873.php#ixzz1TuaedUnY - broken link)

"The fresh chile season typically begins late Aug., or early Sept. and lasts until mid Oct. " - New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, Chile Gifts and more, Guajillo (wha-hee-oh)powder, green chile in a jar and growing seeds!

Rich

Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 AM

We normally get ours while visiting family in Clovis. Think I will come a little earlier to make sure I get my freezer filled, LOL. I can't go a year without my chiles.

Thanks for answering my post!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
They're in Santa Fe.Chiles beat the heat: State's favorite veggie weathers tough growing conditions - The Santa Fe New Mexican

Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Signs seen today advertising roasting in progress in Ruidoso area of the Hatch chile crop. Nothing smells as good - mixed with the smell of falling rain here.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
We have Hatch Chile's being roasted now in Bernalillo...

Rich

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Can't wait to get to NM, I love the smell of the roasting chile!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM

391 posts, read 906,380 times
I was in Hatch not long ago, and the crop is off there. Two things conspired to make this happen, though they're related.

There is little water available from the Rio Grande this year, and chile needs plenty of water. The ground water around Hatch has relatively high salinity, which really hurts chile plants, thus affecting how much ground water irrigation can help make up for the low river water levels.

The second thing is that cotton prices are very high now. Cotton uses less water than chile. Cotton is much more tolerant of salty well water used for irrigation.

Couple this with generally low prices for chile and it doesn't take a mental heavyweight to see where farmers are going to go at planting time ....lots of cotton was planted. Farmers don't farm for fun, they farm for profit, and the profit in that area is in cotton.

Down river, closer to Las Cruces/Mesilla, the groundwater is much better for chile, so there's an abundant crop that's now being harvested. And probably being sold as "Hatch" chile in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Man I cate wait to smell the chilies roasting in the morning. I live a block away from the grocery store here and my house smells of roasted chilies every morning when I wake up

Not heard anything about the Hatch chilies. I dont think ours come from there, I cant remember the name of the place off hand.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
The second thing is that cotton prices are very high now. Cotton uses less water than chile. Cotton is much more tolerant of salty well water used for irrigation.
Interesting. At one time "cotton was king" along the Rio Grande irrigation districts. And it was high-grad Pima cotton too. It was necessary to rotate planting with alfalfa every other year. I wonder how many of the cotton gins still exist in working order?

I'm not conversant on cotton's ups and downs but am guessing that other crops began being planted when cotton prices plummeted as a result of foreign competition. Onions were a big crop at one time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico