Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,762 times

Advertisements

Hi, it looks like we are going to be moving to Dixon or Velarde in the next few months.

I've read around the New Mexico and Santa Fe forums fairly thoroughly at this point and I can't find too much information. I've read about these places as great to visit, having many redeeming qualities, and also that they are a major source of the Espanola Valley's reputation for drug problems.

Let me say that my wife and I have lived all over the country, and she has lived in some fairly odd places around the world (including sub-Saharan Africa). I've lived in some VERY dangerous cities (think top 10 worst in the US) and never had issues. However, I didn't have children then either.

We're pretty laid-back, and we try to acclimate to the local culture. My worries are mainly about what life would be like with our children (small now, would probably be there for 10 years or more), and whether we'd be told to get out (as I've heard reported in other threads about other towns) or otherwise unwelcome. It seems Velarde for example is largely home to people with the last name Velarde, and I'm sure we'd stand out.

Any other positive or negative advice regarding those towns would also be most welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,754,604 times
We have had a place above Dixon near Ojo Sarco for 20+ years, although I lived in Dixon & Embudo in the 70's. It was a haven for artists but now has developed into quite a known artist community. Some really great things are happening down in Dixon/Embudo. The community got together & bought the old Zeller's Market & turned it into a Dixon Cooperative with lots of locally grown vegetables & regular grocery selections along with health foods.

There is a very active library that is a community center. There is a farmer's market weekly in the summers with lots of small farms in the immediate area.A lot of wineries have sprouted up in Dixon/Embudo over the years. There is a great cafe called Zuly's. Dixon has an active community theater. There is a small, local montessori school along with the public school. Real estate prices have gone way up over the years as Dixon has become a hip place to be.

We went down last weekend for Dixon's fiesta- what an incredible turn-out with a mix of folks. There are still a lot of old hippie types from the early days who have made their homes & raised their families there. There are wonderful multi-generational hispanic families & classic traditional adobes.There is a tremendous sense of community. I see a lot of folks helping their neighbors, bringing food when sick, etc.

Try to come visit Nov 5 &6 for the 30th annual Dixon Studio Tour:

Dixon Studio Tour

That would be a great way to get inside the community & meet many Dixonites, see inside their homes & get a feel for the community. Don't miss dropping in at Zuly's & the cooperative. Just a warning that cell phone coverage is bad in the Embudo valley.

Velarde is an old apple valley with fruit orchards between Espanola & Embudo along the Rio Grande. My husband lived there in the 70's and there are many long-time hispanic families in the area.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 11,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Try to come visit Nov 5 &6 for the 30th annual Dixon Studio Tour:

Dixon Studio Tour
Thanks for the additional info. I'm happy to see some lodging info on that page, maybe one of us can make it out there for that. If not we can come visit another time.

Do you feel like we'd have an issue being rejected as outsiders, assuming we're not jerks about it? Particularly in Velarde? Also what is the name of the Montessori school -- my wife couldn't find anything about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico