Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 39,376 times

Advertisements

I,am thinking of retireing in NM soon. Bought some land in Raton but i,am still looking around.Farmington was talked about on the today show the other day as a good place for retirement or to invest in. Any feedback would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,976 times
Default All about Newcomb

hi loboABQ, yah you are right.. iim one of the math teachers....
I just want to know about the housing...
what country are you from? what about the kids?
I'll be there on the 31st of this month. pls tell me something about the school in general. I dont want to go to the battle without knowing what i'm getting myself into. thank you..ai

Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,976 times
we might be seeing each other there.. i'm beginning to feel sad since i cant spend my new year with my family...

Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 AM

186 posts, read 640,042 times
Hey Irene. I'm originally from New Mexico (the farmington area). The kids, as you have probably guessed, are Native Americans (largely Navajo). The school is nice. You have a new principal this year over there at the high school. Like all kids, there is a pocket of students who don't want to be there. Then there are those who are just there to make your (teachers) life a living hell lol. You do have your students that would like to be there also.

However, I've found that it is much tougher to get these kids here motivated and engaged, especially since their math and reading levels (as a whole) are so much lower than grade level. Thus, you have behavior problems.

As far as housing, I know they are building apartments on site. However, these 6? units were supposed to be finished before school started. It has been delayed countless times and now they're saying January or February. There are also a few houses here and trailers as well, however I believe most of them are full.

I don't live out in Newcomb as I live where I grew up.

For more information, call (505) 598-5834. That is the Kirtland Business Office's phone number and they should be able to supply with more information (but don't be surprised if they can't.).

Sorry you won't be with family for the New Year's. Where are you from?

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me @ teachdude81@gmail.com

Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 PM

157 posts, read 651,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3didgets View Post
I,am thinking of retireing in NM soon. Bought some land in Raton but i,am still looking around.Farmington was talked about on the today show the other day as a good place for retirement or to invest in. Any feedback would help.
hi 3D ~
I'm from Durango co, but have spent a lot of time in Famington in the last two years as that is where my parents (and numerous of their friends from Dgo) retired to. I posed your question to my mom, and she says ...

... she loves it here. Best thing = weather. we get four seasons, but each is relatively mild. Snows just a little, but melts soon after. Gets hot in summer, but certainly not phoenix hot. Farm is high desert at elevation 5500 ft, but is suprisingly green in summer, spring, fall (Animas River runs through town).

She says that she also finds Farm. to be friendly and she always feels safe.
Location is great, too. 3 hours to ABQ, 1hr to Durango, about 3 hours to Santa Fe and a little more to Taos. Cost of living is less than Durango, but I can't say how it compares to Raton. On housing .. there is some new building, which can be equivalent in cost to what's on the market from what I hear. Even though there is new building, it doesn't feel (to me) like it is out of control growth. I have to say from my own view, there were a lot of houses for sale spring & summer, but there have been many sold in the fall .. not sure what the market portends for the future. Shopping: plenty of box stores .. two super walmarts, lowes, hd, sam's, best buy, etc. Health care: San Juan Regional Medical Center is pretty much state ot the art, from what I've seen and heard. People: IMO, generally down to earth and laid-back. Lots of blue collar workers (oil and gas, plus two coal power plants about 50 miles south). Lots of outdoor activities - hike, bike, etc.

The only caution I can think of (and while im aware of the Today spot, I didn't see it): housing is maybe tied largely to the fortunes of the oil and gas industry. If oil/gas is strong, house values will hold, but I understand that Farm has had two big busts .. one in the 50's and one in the 80's.

if you would like more, just ask (I'll be glad to talk to my mom). best wishes

Last edited by dgoboy204; 12-22-2007 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,522 times
We have lived in the FArmington area for 12 yrs now. Farmington is like any other smaller community. The major items for the area is the DUI reports. It is currently number 2 in the US, but that is based on per capita for the county. As for the crime we have not seen any major climb in crime. We came from California. If you would like to know any more about the area I would be glad to answer any questions that I could.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,522 times
This is not to your reply, but maybe you could help me in how to post a question. I am new to this web site and I am trying to find some help on how to create an environmental friend home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico