Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM

16 posts, read 110,388 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan to move to NM once I retire in a few years and we're currently looking for affordable land close to ABQ. Does anyone own land or live in Estancia Ranchettes? If so, what is it like out there? Do many people live out there or is is mainly undeveloped investment land?

I ask because I've seen numerous lots for sale really cheap on EBay by one particular company. However, they don't seem to accurately portray the area. For example, they never have pictures of the actual lots, just general area pix which are used in ALL their auctions. And they tout that there is a nearby Walmart being built which in reality will be in a neighboring town a good distance away. We were thinking of bidding on one of the lots but changed our minds because something didn't seem right.

I attempted to do some online research but the only info I could find on Estancia Ranchettes was from one of the local papers which mentioned a problem they were having out there with trash dumping and folks using some abandoned mobile homes as meth labs.

Does anyone have any info or photos?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 PM

32 posts, read 149,744 times
The same company that is flogging the Deming Ranchettes is flogging the Estancia Ranchettes.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 110,388 times
Yeah, I've noticed the Deming listings also.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:07 PM

150 posts, read 791,976 times
I'm not aware of the Estancia Ranchettes, but I do know Estancia (and Deming too).

Estancia is a very small, ranching town, 17 miles south of Moriarty, (where they are building the Wal-Mart Super Store by the way). It is "F-L-A-T" around Estancia, as this was once a large inland sea in prehistoric times. I was just through Estancia (it took about 5 minutes) on a Sunday morning a couple weeks ago, and have to say, I didn't see any new "developments" booming up. Just miles of vacant ranch lands. It is, only about an hour's drive to Albuquerque though, and 15 miles to the west via NM55, you'll be in the pinons/lone oaks/& pines of the eastern slopes of the Manzano Mountains. Estancia & Moriarty get "a lot" of snow, when we have wet winters.

The "booming" area (where there is much land sales, and residences being built), is in the Edgewood area, 10 miles west of Moriarty on I-40, and just 25 miles from Albuquerque. To the north of Edgewood, the land is also mostly flat, but to the SW it is rolling hills with lots of pinon trees. There are a lot of people moving into that area. South of I-40, you may get less acres for the money, but it is more scenic for a homesite. North of I-40 (both around Edgewood) the land is less desireable, so you get more acres for the $. Most houses have their own water wells, and propane tanks. There are two new schools north of Edgewood, and a few churches are springing up also. Great place to have a horse or ATV.

Honestly, I would forget Estancia...it's little changed in the 24 years I've been in Albuquerque. Even the police were closed on Sunday! LOL!

Hope this helps you a little at least. You might want to "Google" for ranchettes, or land around Edgewood or Moriarty (which, while still a small town, is larger than Estancia.) Simply put, Estancia is dying...Edgewood is growing!

Adios!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 51,432 times
To correct the above blog, Estancia Ranchettes IS NOT in Estancia! It is just off I-10 and about 7 miles due west of Moriarty. There are several nice homes in there, some trailers, and some nice lots, but I would stay away from the very far eastern units such as 7 and 7A as there is a landfill. The southernmost units such as 1 and 1A (about 5 miles or more from I-10) are not as easy to get to (you may have to wait for a few cows to move out of the road), but they have electric along the bottom and are private!!!! The best units are the ones closer to I-10 and along the main N/S artery along the west side. Many lots have electric and decent homes along these corridors. I have some lots there, so I have researched this! I believe this area will grow with all the development in Edgewood and Moriarty proposed. Now is the time to get in while it is cheap. I do have a few GOOD lots I would sell with utilities on or near them. Let me know if you are interested and how to contact you. I will be happy to fax you plats and email photos.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,418 times
Certainly not I-10. I-40?

Old 11-29-2007, 02:33 AM

9 posts, read 51,432 times
OOPS!!! You are correct! It IS I-40!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,195 times
Default ranchette no-no

The Estancia Ranchettes are in an undeveloped area east of Moriarty, NM. We go there regularly to shoot. There is little wildlife, lots of carcasses of domestic cattle, beautiful views, and poor to no water. The roads are carved into the landscape, and few folks dare live there. The hardships of living without water or electricity, on dirt roads that flood, and in an area where stupid people dump trash are too much for most of us. If you are looking for investment land, it may do well in the future. We have some development coming to the area, but progress is slow out here.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:12 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
The only problem with living in either of those cities is the distance to anything.

Edgewood has a Walmart now?! For shame!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Edgewood has a Walmart now?! For shame!
Yup... real big one, too.

I was just in Moriarty and Estancia. They aren't close to lots of amenities, but heck... Moriarty is only 30 minutes from ABQ! The land is extremely flat, treeless, and not very attractive, and the towns are fairly dilapidated... but it's cheap too. Edgewood and west is prettier and more upscale, but you have to figure that growth (like a cancer) will spread to the east eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico