Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 PM

175 posts, read 439,728 times

Advertisements

It can be a good place or a bad place. The question is, what does the mover want? What type of job is being held? What type of social aspects is one looking for? It is true that you can meet worse friends in the best places and best friends in the worst places. It depends on what the mover wants and he she needs to know what to expect.

Nicest thing- Climate and Views- Spectacular- all four seasons- though spring is usually drier than one might expect
Worst thing- Drug and alcohol abuse in and/or around the area. Especially in the younger population.

Knowing what to expect makes things a little bit easier. Even though the true posts in this thread may be negative, at least the mover will know what to EXPECT and he or she won't be suprised.

We don't want to spill out tons of negatives, we just want to make sure people know what to expect. I could easily tell someone moving to North Dakota that, the winters aren't bad because the sun shines more than areas like Maine. Of course in North Dakata you will be prone to blizzards and constant white out and 10 foot drifts and it is usually just as cold or colder than Maine. So, it's better to tell what you know.

There may not be as much murder and other very bad crimes but a variety of illegal drug use and alcohol abuse is higher than average.

The nice thing about New Mexico's small towns in general is the fact that murder and severe crimes are lower than averages. However, drug abuse and alcohol abuse generally higher than average in most of the smaller towns.

Last edited by Thunderbomb82; 11-23-2008 at 12:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,122 times
As a local from Espanola, who has seen the good and the bad. I agree with alot of what you all have to say. Espanola has a drug problem that is normaly seen in a bigger city, and yes it involves the whole Rio Arriba County. Nonetheless, it has to be seen as a problem by those who are emersed in it or it will always be a norm that is better off ignored, than delt with. The locals, natives, and most importantly the government and judicial systems despirately need to work honestly and justly to end this epidemic, that is threatening the youth and damaging the lives of our friends and families.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honey87532 View Post
As a local from Espanola, who has seen the good and the bad. I agree with alot of what you all have to say. Espanola has a drug problem that is normaly seen in a bigger city, and yes it involves the whole Rio Arriba County. Nonetheless, it has to be seen as a problem by those who are emersed in it or it will always be a norm that is better off ignored, than delt with. The locals, natives, and most importantly the government and judicial systems despirately need to work honestly and justly to end this epidemic, that is threatening the youth and damaging the lives of our friends and families.
Yes, true..and as my hometown i will say that people tend to always say its "Espanola" but its mostly the communities around, I mean look at our newspaper it even makes things look worse..its not such a huge problem if you think about it, the politics is probably what brings down this town as well, people talk cheap **** about Espanola.. its always been that way, even about the high school..if people lived there I'm sure they would have a different approach, becuase the people in Espanola are far nicer and closer than in any other NM city or town.. I just throw people off when they compare other cities to Espanola and they talk talk.. but they dont know crap..

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

405 posts, read 1,336,375 times
Yikes. I am moving to Espanola area next month...guess I'll uh...give you my opinion when I get there?!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM

4 posts, read 15,634 times
Default Espanola - not so bad

My husband and I, who are both white, have lived in Espanola for 37 years. We are LANL retirees and could afford to live elsewhere but choose to live here. Our friends are a diverse group of people that include Hispanics, Indians, other Anglos, and gays. Most of our nightlife takes place in Santa Fe because we enjoy the opera, concerts at the Lensic, and fine dining. However, we get together with our friends here in Espanola a couple of times a month for dinner. Houses (ours has an acre of yard, a swimming pool, and a wine cellar) are much cheaper here than in surrounding areas as are taxes. I agree schools here are mostly pretty poor except for McCurdy. In a way it's great that Espanola maintains such a bad reputation. It will escape being Disneyfied as Santa Fe has been and Taos is becoming.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 15,634 times
Default Espanola - not so bad

My husband and I, who are both white, have lived in Espanola for 37 years. We are LANL retirees and could afford to live elsewhere but choose to live here. Our friends are a diverse group of people that include Hispanics, Indians, other Anglos, and gays. Most of our nightlife takes place in Santa Fe because we enjoy the opera, concerts at the Lensic, and fine dining. However, we get together with our friends here in Espanola a couple of times a month for dinner. Houses (ours has an acre of yard, a swimming pool, and a wine cellar) are much cheaper here than in surrounding areas as are taxes. I agree schools here are mostly pretty poor except for McCurdy. In a way it's great that Espanola maintains such a bad reputation. It will escape being Disneyfied as Santa Fe has been and Taos is becoming.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 10,886 times
McCurdy is just as "poor" as the surrounding schools in the city. People tend to judge the school because it is private. I went there from kindergarten till twelth grade.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,995,759 times
Thats why you attend the schools in the Espanola Public School system like I did. And get better oppertunities in the schools its self, test scores arent so great but they dont mean much.. Alot makes a school. When I attended Espanola Valley High, It was a great school.. looked more like a college.

Times have changed but I'm sure it is still a great school, I have tons of family in Espanola, and I enjoyed growing up there. Nothing like growing up in a small town, becuase family is everything. Espanola is just a unique place and I could see me moving back someday.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
I have lived in Espanola my entire life. It is a beautiful place. And although there is a lot of problems with drugs, there is still a lot of nice things about Espanola. and Chimayo for that matter. I love living here. Were a huge family we all help each other out and stick by each other. no matter what no matter if our brother or sister or mom or dad is on drugs we don't judge. We are loving and respectful to each other no matter what anyone says. You may see that the drug overtakes the town but honestly were can you go where there is no drugs. There is drugs everywhere. Be honest with your selves and see things the way they are. Do not jugde us for we don't jugde you. We don't hurt anyone and those who are on drugs usually just keep to them selves. Its not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. It is safe and I love it here.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
Honestly give Espanola and Chimayo a chance you will see that you will love it here and never want to leave. We are very family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico