Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 AM

36 posts, read 164,503 times

Advertisements

"I'm surprised by the number of really negative responses! I do not think you will find any more problems than you find in any group of low income folks..."

I am not too surprised; but usually when I tell most people what my plans are it's quiet for a minute and then something along the lines of "real Indians??" But anyway, you mentioned a friend who just did her first year with no teaching certificate: how did that work? I am looking at a lot of alt/cert programs but its hard to schedule tests and things when im still living in NY.

And again, your post was incredibly insightful and encouraging to me. I feel that American Indians are fully able to look after their own interests, etc., however like ANY under-served, high need area I know that a solid education from grassroots (ie: individuals) efforts will empower communities without some "valient" attempt to transform them into something more familar to your own background.
I would very much prefer to live in teacher housing and immerse myself more in the experiences that my students would be coming from...but Id take whatever I could get thats for sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 04:42 PM

127 posts, read 555,717 times
Hi, I'm from the Zuni Reservation and I just wanted to comment on your question. First of all Zuni is beautiful and rich in tradition, culture, and language. The school system here has been steadily improving. The elementary schools have made AYP for the past 3 or 4 years. They also built brand new housing units for the teachers. They are adobe style housing. Teaching elementary here is probably the best. Because parents are much more active with school events and meetings. Not many people here have the luxury of having computers or any modernized electronics, so when kids go to school they have the ability to play with computers and they pay attention to what is being taught. Zuni is a half-an-hour drive from Gallup and two hour drive from Albuquerque. We usually go to either town for groceries or any items we can't buy in town. As far as internet out here, because nobody can live with out the Net. We have one ISP and they provide 56K speeds, so trying to get on to this forum will take forever. But DSL is on the way. There is a panhandling problem here, well not really beggers. They are silversmiths, fetish carvers, and pottery makers trying to sell their stuff. These people make something in a hurry so they can earn their money for their alcohol. These people are denied by arab buyers and local traders, so they go to the teacherage and hospital apartments trying to sell there stuff. But this is the reservation and it's not going to be perfect. Just visit sometime, you'll have a unique experience then most reservations. We have religious events that many outsiders don't see everyday.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Red face thanks bigduly:)

Thanks for your reply to my post
What you are describing is exactly the situation I want to teach in ...no matter how far from home that takes me. Since you are living on the Zuni Reservation, and it seems that you know a lot about the interworkings of educational system there, etc, how would you suggest I pursue an elementary teaching position there? Is there a need for teachers in those grades?

I am planning on visiting NM in January when I go to take a Basic Skills Test--as far as visiting Zuni from the perspective of a potential teacher, not just a tourist, how should I structure a visit? Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks for all your insight.

Danielle

Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 AM

29 posts, read 93,654 times
Contact San Juan College in Farmington and they can fill you in on how to start teaching with out the papers all in ect. My friend did it thru them. I believe it is www.sjcollege.edu (broken link) if not try a search. She taught all week and on Saturday attended seminars at the college. No free time but she got full salary and in one year was fully certified too! She had a ba in music. No education hours. She loves it and teaches music in the elementary school.
Mesavista

Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Talking definitely checking out SJC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesavista View Post
Contact San Juan College in Farmington .... No free time but she got full salary and in one year was fully certified too!
Mesavista
this is EXACTLY what I need. thank you!!
Danielle

Old 09-13-2007, 02:12 PM

150 posts, read 793,235 times
Default On The Edge?

As so many others have suggested, "respect" for one another's cultures is the best way to open doors between one another. New Mexico has such a rich, and ancient mix of cultures, and to me at least, that is one of it's greatest "enchantments."

First of all, I admire you for even considering such a bold move. You might want to consider living "on the edge" of the Native American reservations as an alternative. By that I mean getting some experience in Farmington, or Gallup schools, which have many Native American students, yet remain in more of an Anglo/Hispanic community during transition.

My sister was a Special Education teacher in Bernalillo, just 15 miles north of Albuquerque, when she first came to NM, and had a rich mix of Anglo, Hispanic, and Native American students. The latter came from the nearby pueblos of Zia, Santa Ana, and San Felipe. She was invited to many of their homes, and since she was respected, she in turn returned that respect. The culture clash was very demanding on her in some ways however. Notably, the Native American students being absent at times because of special ceremonies at the pueblos. Lesson planning was an on-going restructuring.

She lived in Albuquerque, and commuted each day. You might consider the same either here in Albuquerque, Gallup, or Farmington...to get your feet wet so to speak. Then take on the reservation schools. I had an Anglo female friend who was a nurse at Window Rock, on the Navajo Reservation, and she confided that it could be pretty lonely sometimes, with the isolation especially...the Navajo Reservation in NW New Mexico, and NE Arizona is a vast area.

I wish you luck, and admire your "youthful" enthusiasm. I had that once, but learned a little procrastination to gather as much information, and view points can't hurt either. Follow your heart, and you may find your dreams. Who knows, you may even make this a better world than you found it! :-)

Along with San Juan College, you may want to take a look at the offerings found through Central New Mexico Community College (formerly Technical Vocational Institute - TVI) here in Albuquerque: About CNM
And, the University of New Mexico Education Dept., also here in Albuquerque. University of New Mexico

Old 11-09-2007, 07:33 AM

just a quick update to everyone who so kindly responded to me...

I was offered a position through Teach for America this week as an elementary teacher in New Mexico for Fall 2008--though the interviews with school districts still needs to take place Im hoping to live in a teacherage for Zuni or Navajo Nation schools. Im very excited and appreciate this forum for all the insight about NM that it has given me. Im graduating from college in 4 weeks and its nice to know that I ATLEAST have the next two years planned. whew!

Danielle

Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM

298 posts, read 1,150,457 times
Congratulations! Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,038,819 times
Hey coltraneandcoffee:

Congraulations on your job offer.

It sounds like just exactly what you want! Can't get any better than that!

I agree ~ keep us informed on how it goes.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 AM

41 posts, read 175,646 times
Hey Danielle,
I am in the same boat as you! I will be a college graduate in December with a degree in Criminology and Law...I'm packing up on my last day of finals and moving out to Santa Fe! I can't wait! I'm moving from Boston! New Mexico is one of those states where you either LOVE IT, HATE IT or Slowly begin to like it! I LOVED it and can't wait to go! I don't have a job lined up nor do I know what I want to do but i'm slowly figuring it out! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico