Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM

34 posts, read 117,209 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering moving from CA...well, more than considering it...we WANT to move. We like the Southwest area, so we're looking at options there, and so far we really like the Alamogordo area....

What is the job market like? Are there plenty of jobs? (I am in Executive Administration, fiance is an auto mechanic).

Also...what is the rate of pay vs. the cost of living? Is it on a pretty even keel?

Any info you can give me would be helpful~!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Wow....

NO one lives in the area and has ANY idea?

bummer.....

Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
There are people on this board who live in Alamo and they will get around to answering your thread.
In the meantime, don't expect the pay to be as great as it is in California. Of course the cost of living in Cali is higher.
Anyway, be patient, you will receive some responses.
Cheryl

Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,683 times
I guess I will answer.. I don't know.. I am visiting in Illinois right now and as for working, DH is retired and I have a direct sales business. I am sure you will be able to find a job, and with Holloman Air Force Base there that could be a help.
Sorry I can't be a better help.
Jane

Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Tyggress....although i'm glad you like Alamogordo it can be tough for what your looking as i myself am from Alamogordo but live and WORK up here in Albuquerque because the employment is superior compared to Alamo and Otero County.

Alamogordo is around 40,000 population and is basically a service sector city that caters to Holloman AFB and White Sands Missle Range and also has a large retiree population do to the great year around weather and close proximity to the Sacramento Mountains recreation.

There are auto/mechanic shops thruout the city for your fiance to checkout...... as for your profession i would think maybe one of the bases Holloman or White Sands or at NMSU-A university there possibly. A profesional company just opened in Alamo (PreCheck inc) or PreChek.com for their website as they do background checks for employers nationwide an require a degree if i remember correctly. Also may want to check with the ''NM State Dept of Labor'' office at 901 Alaska ave/ phone 505-437-9210 for more info about your profession in the area. Also Ruidoso 45 minutes away in the mountains could be an option for you and your fiance. Also a national call center is there ''1-800-flowers.com''.

But basically thats what you get for 40,000 people so not alot of options unless maybe Las Cruces (150,000 metro) 60 miles to the west might be better unless your heart is really set on Alamo and the area but thats my thoughts about what you asked. Wish i could offer more......

Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Thanks~!!

Thank you for the insight. Our hearts are not totally set on Alamogordo...we are just reasearching different areas and found that one to be intriguing. I do realize that the pay will not be what it is in CA, but provided the cost-of-living is relative to the pay scale, we'd be fine with it.

We actually prefer a smaller area, if possible. We plan to sell our house in CA and buy some property, but still be within a comfortable commute / drive to a job, as we are both still in the middle of our working careers age-wise.

Thank you for all the info....

Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyggress View Post
Thank you for the insight. Our hearts are not totally set on Alamogordo...we are just reasearching different areas and found that one to be intriguing. I do realize that the pay will not be what it is in CA, but provided the cost-of-living is relative to the pay scale, we'd be fine with it.

We actually prefer a smaller area, if possible. We plan to sell our house in CA and buy some property, but still be within a comfortable commute / drive to a job, as we are both still in the middle of our working careers age-wise.

Thank you for all the info....
I like Alamo but it doesnt seem like a lot of jobs are there like Harry o said. I would think Alamo would be more for someone retiring and doesnt need a job. Try Las Cruces. It has more jobs or even where I live here in Farmington up in northern NM is growing alot and companies are coming all the time so you might look into it too. For the most jobs though, Albuquerque is the place for NM.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Default Jobs.....

Hi there,
Heres our story! My husband and myself and two boys were stationed at
Holloman AFB about 6 yrs ago.We retired and foolishly left and came to
roost here in Lompoc CA. Decided after 5 or more years here, that Alamo
was where we really wanted to be. So, we have sold our home and are
renting and trying every avenue to get back. Let me tell you, IT IS HARD!
My hubby is retired AF, and now Civil Service and its STILL hard to get a
transfer there.But we are not giving up!!! Its just depressing when you want
to be some where other than where you are now. Why the heck did we
ever leave.....only God knows. Our families our here, but our hearts are still
in NM. So, good luck! I would suggest looking at USA Jobs. Lots of Govt.jobs
there on that site. Alamp is a beautiful place to live,and now that we have some
$$ off the sale of our house, we cant wait to get there and buy or build
a great "casa" for half the price here in CA.

Best wishes,
Greenchili

Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Lompoc~!!

I am in Atascadero...

Hi there, neighbor~!! I totally understand you wanting to get out of there....just like I can't wait to get out of here. How long ago did your house sell, and how long was it on the market, if you don't mind me asking?

Any more insight into Alamogordo or the Ruidoso area would be great, too~!

Thanks...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
Default alamorgordo....

I sent you a PM, did you get it?

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico