Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 01:56 PM

265 posts, read 873,918 times

Advertisements

In my research about the southern NM areas, one thing I have not been able to find is what kind of reception does one get in both cell phone and satelitte TV in southern NM.

My areas of particular interest are the general Alamogordo, Ruidoso, and Silver City areas.

Anyone living in these areas, please give everyone the benefit of your experience with these services.

Thanks much for any responses.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
In my research about the southern NM areas, one thing I have not been able to find is what kind of reception does one get in both cell phone and satelitte TV in southern NM.

My areas of particular interest are the general Alamogordo, Ruidoso, and Silver City areas.

Anyone living in these areas, please give everyone the benefit of your experience with these services.

Thanks much for any responses.

Jim
Alltel has offices and towers here in Alamo......I still have my same service/number from TX, and it is excellent here in town. You will probably not have access in Timberon and other places in the mountains. Ruidoso also has Alltel, so I am assuming that service there is probably good, but I have no experience with it yet.

Satellite TV, I can't tell you, because I don't like it, and didn't want it out here. There are a number of services available, though. I have both internet and TV cable services through Baja Broadband. They are laying new cable out here near hiway 54, so I've had a number of outtages. The only problem is that they didn't bother to tell me, so I was MOST aggravated. When it is up, it works fine, and the TV is good.

There is an online phone directory: Colorado Yellow Pages | New Mexico Yellow Pages by Directory Plus

You will find all sorts of goodies there!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:37 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,133 times
I had DISH TV at my cabin in Cloudcroft and it worked fine once they managed to find the signal (steep mountainside behind me). Of course, setting this up was no easy feat. The first installers refused to get up on the high roof citing "no ladder." The very willing guy who came back to install it, fell off my roof and cut his hand severly. Very scary. I use Sprint and got spotty reception in Cloudcroft. I have a place now in Ruidoso and get great reception from my living room with the same Sprint service.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,846 times
Hi Jim,
Alamo can get Verizon the best for cell phone. thats whe I have after asking around with many on the pros and cons.
Dish and Direct TV is available. I suggest calling the company to get it installed. They send people up from El Paso and do a great job. Better service than the locals. I have had both out there, but I like Dish the best.
Hope to meet with you before you head out, I am in Il for a bit.
Jane

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 PM

265 posts, read 873,918 times
Thanks to all for the update. Jane I have Verizon cell phone right now, so your info is good news. I also have Dish Network here in Illinois so guess that would be logical for me in NM also.

Not sure about getting together before my trip. I am juggling quite a bit right now. So perhaps the best is to wait til we are both in NM. Again thanks for all the advice.

Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico