Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Rep points for you, Pipe.....!

He is a city-slicker who does this for a hobby, and he has no idea of the damage that rattlesnakes can do to pets and livestock. I bet if he lost some of his livelihood to these venomous snakes, his attitude might change...but then again, it probably wouldn't.

At least he has no control over how others protect their property, so it's really a non-issue. Rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, brown recluses...and any other venomous nasties anywhere on MY property....are going to be shot, stomped, pounded..or whatever it takes.

*Climbs down from preaching to the choir...*
Im not a city-slicker, can you not read?

First off, owning livestock in rattlesnake country is a risk YOU have taken. Would you complain if you planted marijuana crops in Tijuana and lost some of your precious weed to the drug cartels, too?

And no, I dont have control over how people protect their property, but the goverment sure does. Go ahead and kill snakes by shooting them, but your stupid bullets are more dangerous than any snake. Recklessly discharging a firearm at an animal is a HUGE risk, especially if you have neighbors nearby. And should you happen to shoot a snake that is protected and youre caught, youll be fined heavily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:19 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

First off, owning livestock in rattlesnake country is a risk YOU have taken. Would you complain if you planted marijuana crops in Tijuana and lost some of your precious weed to the drug cartels, too?

And no, I dont have control over how people protect their property, but the goverment sure does. Go ahead and kill snakes by shooting them, but your stupid bullets are more dangerous than any snake. Recklessly discharging a firearm at an animal is a HUGE risk, especially if you have neighbors nearby.
wow, you're more a tree hugger than I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nidB3...eature=related
Quote:
And should you happen to shoot a snake that is protected and youre caught, youll be fined heavily.
I don't think rattlesnakes in new mexico or texas are a protected species.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 03-08-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

But you don't have to worry about finding a snake coiled up under your porch. You don't have to treat a dogs leg whose foot is about to rot off because of a snake bite. You have animal control to take care of things. Well, we have animal control too.....it is called a "shotgun" and it works really well.

But if you want to keep on playing, make sure your hands are totally clean before you try to tell me how dirty mine are.
Since you choose to live in rattlesnake country, its your RESPONSIBILITY to train your dogs to avoid snakes. Dogs do what they do naturally, so do snakes. If you live there and let your dog run around when you know there are rattlesnakes, its not the snakes' fault your dog got bit. And while you kill rattlesnakes, you admit that its not going to do anything to lower their numbers, right? Rattlesnakes will always be around, so instead of killing them, you should train your dogs to avoid them and have the snakes relocated, unless you like vermin running uncontrolled and unchecked all over the place. And yes, I have seen the bad effects that certain snakes have on livestock and humans all over the world. When you learn about how beneficial snakes are, you also learn about the potential harm some of them can cause. But since your talking about negative effects animals have, Im just curious if you have you seen entire crops wiped out by rodents? Children and adults contract nasty diseases from rodents? Houses infested with rodents, chewing up everything and leaving droppings all over the place? What about Europe almost wiped out by rodents and their nasty diseases they carry? Anyone will tell you that rodents are far more dangerous to humans than venomous snakes. So while a snake might kill a cow/horse here and there, its something that youll have to accept since you live in the heart of rattlesnake country.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
YouTube - Ray Stevens - Smokey Mountain Rattlesnake Retreat
I don't think rattlesnakes in new mexico or texas are a protected species.
As of right now, there are 8 species of snake that are protected in NM, 2 of them are rattlesnakes:
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research - Amphibians of the American Southwest - New Mexico State and Federally Protected Species

Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
All the pictures were from the same author: SF II. His name is Steve. I bet his last name starts with "F".
And that means what?

When I save a jpeg I can save it under any name I want and put it on photobucket or snapfish or wherever I want under that name. Just because I call it "my momma" does not make a picture of Mona Lisa the output of my creativity, regardless of my skill at photoshop.

BTW, here's a fishing spider from my photobucket

I didn't shoot it, but I borrowed it from another site, and is not, to my knowledge copyrighted.

See, the difference between me and Steve, I don't try to convince you that copied work is my own. And because I can't verify, online, true authorship, I don't pretend to offer any work as my own.

Here are some of your Chicago style cowboys waiting to go snake hunting.....
Moderator cut: image removed

And here are REAL cowboys getting ready to work where you watch every step you take.........

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
And that means what?

When I save a jpeg I can save it under any name I want and put it on photobucket or snapfish or wherever I want under that name. Just because I call it "my momma" does not make a picture of Mona Lisa the output of my creativity, regardless of my skill at photoshop.

BTW, here's a fishing spider from my photobucket

I didn't shoot it, but I borrowed it from another site, and is not, to my knowledge copyrighted.

See, the difference between me and Steve, I don't try to convince you that copied work is my own. And because I can't verify, online, true authorship, I don't pretend to offer any work as my own.

Here are some of your Chicago style cowboys waiting to go snake hunting.....

And here are REAL cowboys getting ready to work where you watch every step you take.........
Those are "real" cowboys, eh? So a trip to Cabelas to pick up the quintessential cowboy boots, Wrangler jeans, big belt buckle, tucked in shirt, cowboy hat, and a trip to the local rodeo makes you a "cowboy", you say? Wow, Im amazed. And if youre in rattlesnake country and walkin around w/o any snake chaps, thats what I call REAL stupid.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I don't think you can pick up "the quintessential cowboy boots, Wrangler jeans, big belt buckle, tucked in shirt, cowboy hat" at Cabela's. Unless they've changed their inventory since I was there last. They didn't even have any SASS irons worth looking at. But you know everything there is to know about western culture, so I guess you must be right. But if I was looking for a good pair of boots or a hat, I think I would stop off at Sheplers in OKC or Wichita or Drysdales in Tulsa or Boots and Jeans In Amarillo.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:

And no, I dont have control over how people protect their property, but the goverment sure does. Go ahead and kill snakes by shooting them, but your stupid bullets are more dangerous than any snake. Recklessly discharging a firearm at an animal is a HUGE risk, especially if you have neighbors nearby. And should you happen to shoot a snake that is protected and youre caught, youll be fined heavily.
Do you or don't you live in Chicago?

Silly analogy on the marijuana; it doesn't even make any sense.

You have to know how to use the firearm.....most like me who have grown up in West Texas hunting country do.

There are 8 venomous snakes in NM...7 rattlers and the western coral snake. Only two are on the endangered/threatened species list....the mottled rock rattler and the ridgenosed rattler. Being that they are endangered/threatened means that they are relatively scarce.

So they are not likely to be found in my yard or in the alley behind it.

The western diamonback just might be...and it is not on the endangered list, so if it gets in my yard, it's fair game for killing by any method I have handy.

Government or no government, I have a right to protect my pets and property from venomous snakes and spiders.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
AMEN, Cathy!

I wanted to "rep" you on that post, but I must spread some more reputation around first, darn it.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:59 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,754 times
Quote:
As of right now, there are 8 species of snake that are protected in NM, 2 of them are rattlesnakes:
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research - Amphibians of the American Southwest - New Mexico State and Federally Protected Species
wow. you're a smart/intelligent person. are you a biologist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico