Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,073,273 times

Advertisements

Just heard Marty Chavez is going after the Senate seat also. My mom says she keeps hearing a teaser on local news that there is someone polling higher than both Wilson and Chavez but we haven't heard who that is. Anyone else know who the local news channels are referencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Just heard Marty Chavez is going after the Senate seat also. My mom says she keeps hearing a teaser on local news that there is someone polling higher than both Wilson and Chavez but we haven't heard who that is. Anyone else know who the local news channels are referencing?
Some guy named M. Snerd...

Actually, I believe the preliminary polling shows that both Bill Richardson and Tom Udall would soundly defeat Wilson. Richardson I can see (based on name recognition alone), but the Udall result is somewhat surprising to me. Makes me wonder who exactly is getting polled...

Chap

Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM
LLD

I don't think Richardson was the one. Maybe it is Udall.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Some guy named M. Snerd...

Actually, I believe the preliminary polling shows that both Bill Richardson and Tom Udall would soundly defeat Wilson. Richardson I can see (based on name recognition alone), but the Udall result is somewhat surprising to me. Makes me wonder who exactly is getting polled...

Chap
Increasingly, New Mexico will become a solid 'blue' or Democrat state. If you consider demographics, most of the people who are retiring here are from either the East Coast or California. These folks are a) older and b) more likely to be preferential to the party that gives out free health care, coupled with their origins, I would consider most of these folks to be likely voters for Democrats. Also, the native residents here are predominately a) hispanic or b) native american. These two voting groups, especially the latter, will reflexively pull the lever for a Democrat, irrespective of candidate.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
LLD

I think New Mexico will remain purple -- like many other states with a big mixture of both red and blue.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:15 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
Whats interesting is the domino effect this is having with Pete reitiring. With Heather running her congressional seat is open. If Steve Pierce runs then his southern congressional seat opens up so who down south will run ??. If Marty wins then the Albuquerque Mayors position is open. If Sheriff Darren White runs for heather's spot then we'll have an opening at the Bernalillo County sheriff. Also will any cabinet members run like Gary King i.e. Attorney General.

Anyway lots of musical chairs here. At 5.00 on KKOB Jim V will have poll numbers out on these races......

Old 10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
LLD

yes this will be interesting for NM politics to be sure

Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Increasingly, New Mexico will become a solid 'blue' or Democrat state. If you consider demographics, most of the people who are retiring here are from either the East Coast or California. These folks are a) older and b) more likely to be preferential to the party that gives out free health care, coupled with their origins, I would consider most of these folks to be likely voters for Democrats. Also, the native residents here are predominately a) hispanic or b) native american. These two voting groups, especially the latter, will reflexively pull the lever for a Democrat, irrespective of candidate.
If, by retirees, you're referring to Baby Boomers, don't count on a landslide either way. I'm at the end of the Boomer range (1957), and all my friends tend to vote for the candidate, NOT the party. The "Red" & "Blue" designations are useless anyway. Florida is a good example. Bush carried the state and the present (& former) governor is a Republican. So that would make us what, a Red State I guess? HOWEVER, the voters voted overwhelmingly to a) increase the state's minimum wage; b) make the state a Clean Air State (no smoking in public places); and created the Healthy Kids program, a childrens insurance coverage program that other states are using as a model to develop their programs. But wait, aren't these Blue State issues?

I don't think you can fairly judge a state by who it votes for president - you really need to look at what legislation the voters support on the state and local levels. I've learned over the years that voters look at local, state and federal elections - and the candidates and issues - VERY differently and have different expectations for each level. Unfortunately voters seem to lower their expectations for national candidates and issues.

BTW, I'm a registered Democrat, used to be a registered Republican, and voted independent in several elections. I've donated to both parties as well. Guess I'm one of those purples, eh?

CBS & the Albuquerque Journal reported last week that Udall declined to run. Guess I better read up on NM politics before I move - all these years, I thought Udall was from Utah No idea why. Duh me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico