Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,733,154 times

Advertisements

I agree with Towanda. If I see a post from "the Kid", I can almost guaranty what he is going to say . . . distance from center of NM, Roswell shopping, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,430,889 times
Default wanna see the Consequences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Advantages of T or C are several if you plan to stay. One is that it has a bus system that circulates the entire town, another is that it has a great hospital and medical system, and moderate cost shopping and eating. .
No offense, but WHAT??
TrC certainly does NOT have any type of PUBLIC BUS SYSTEM. There's a van that transport seniors and low income people, mostly on Medicaid, mostly for medical appts.
TrC, only recently, has ONE person who offers limited taxi service.
And, that hospital?? I've never heard anyone who thinks it's great. Most, like me, hope we never have to be treated there.
I will say the restaurants, like La Pinata, Pacific Grill, among others, are surprisingly good!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 PM

110 posts, read 377,550 times
[quote=Wisteria;2208305]Hi Mortimer. Thanks for the input. Yes, that is why I visit places -- to see how it feels to me.

I think it is very personal when someone chooses a place to live. I lived in Boulder, Colorado for five years, and I loved it. I think it has changed a lot, though, and I'm not younger anymore, so for me it is not where I will go now. Colorado Springs (and Manitou Springs) are somewhat similar to Boulder in terms of mountains, and street layouts and stuff, but I feel totally different about the two. I can't put my finger on it, but it's a sensory thing to me -- I go by my gut.

I don't agree that small towns in America are all similar -- I have seen big differences in terms of where they are, and the population residing there. That's why it's so important to go to a place, check out the local places, and see how it feels individually. My mother was raised near Attica, New York (in a very small town), my grandparents had a farm in Western New York, in a very small town, and I currently live in a very small town -- they are all quite different places. I have friends in very small towns around the country. Small towns are interesting because the general population may be biased in one direction....and if one doesn't think in that same direction, friction is possible. I could never label a small town as a particular kind of place -- other than it is small.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 PM

110 posts, read 377,550 times
My inclinations are similar to Wisteria's. I'm the same age and single and looking for a place to relocate. I love small town/rural areas but agree that not all small towns are the same. As an...ahem...eccentric, I would not fit in in a conversative, church-going, small town but would probably fit in in an artsier community. However,I bore easily and don't want to find myself in a town where multiple opportunities for socialization aren't available. I definately want to live somewhere with access to the wilderness and hiking, but not so far from a city that I can't enjoy the benefits of city life, too. Add to this the fact the my budget is limited and I have little heat tolerance and allergies.

Initially, I discounted Santa Fe solely because I assumed that it costs too much to live there (I would be renting). I was about to explore Corrales and then learned that both Santa Fe and Albuquerque (and, hence, Corrales) are allergy hell because of the trees.

How expensive is it to rent a small house in or near Santa Fe or Corrales? Are these areas really allergy hell? Any recommendation as to other locations that aren't frying pan hot?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:10 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,217,868 times
TaraMoon: You (and Wisteria) have about the same set of criteria for finding a town to live in that I do, except perhaps that I am liberal in more respects (but not all). I was thinking that Socorro might be a good place to look at, since it isn't so far from Albuquerque that it would be a real pain to get there. Being a college town, it probably isn't very conservative (I hope). Moriarty and Alamogordo are also on the list. Alamo is some distance from ABQ, but it's of a considerable size itself.

As far as allergies are concerned, I'd say it depends on which ones you have. Evergreen trees don't seem to bother me that much, but the ragweed here in TX does.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

946 posts, read 3,269,244 times
In Santa Fe, I believe that the Junipers are a problem for some. We certainly have a lot of them. (They're not a problem for me, but people differ. I'd suggest drinking gin to test for an allergy, but suspect that the berry differs from the pollen.) Pinon used to be a problem for some, but the poor pinon has become rare around here.

And yes, In Santa Fe, housing costs are a problem for some. It would probably be best to come and look for yourself -- if that is possible.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,658,447 times
Devin.....that's interesting about what you stated about drinking Gin to test for allergy. I've never heard that before. Is there an allergic substance or ingredient that is in the Gin ?

Thanks !!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM

946 posts, read 3,269,244 times
Default berries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Devin.....that's interesting about what you stated about drinking Gin to test for allergy. I've never heard that before. Is there an allergic substance or ingredient that is in the Gin ?

Thanks !!
As I remember gin is flavored with juniper berry.

But I think allergies are a result of things like the size of the pollen -- so ingesting the berry probably wouldn't be much of a test for juniper pollen allergy.

I personally am allergic to pinon smoke, but I have to burn it in my home in a not very good kiva for the reaction. The neighbor's use happily does not bother me.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,898,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
TaraMoon: You (and Wisteria) have about the same set of criteria for finding a town to live in that I do, except perhaps that I am liberal in more respects (but not all). I was thinking that Socorro might be a good place to look at, since it isn't so far from Albuquerque that it would be a real pain to get there. Being a college town, it probably isn't very conservative (I hope). Moriarty and Alamogordo are also on the list. Alamo is some distance from ABQ, but it's of a considerable size itself.

As far as allergies are concerned, I'd say it depends on which ones you have. Evergreen trees don't seem to bother me that much, but the ragweed here in TX does.
Well.....as for allergies, we do have ragweed in Alamogordo...as well as junipers (erroneously called "cedar" in TX by the locals)....so both of those bother me, but not quite as bad as in TX.

I have had to take an Alavert only 3-4 times since I've been here (Aug 2007), so this is my first spring here coming up....we'll see.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,217,868 times
Cathy4017, I'm so used to having allergies going that I'd probably miss them. Well, not really, but you get my point. Juniper doesn't bother me (and I like gin!); I love its fragrance. As long as I have a lot of tissue handy, I can survive. I doubt that the ragweed in Alamo is as intense as it is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico