Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any information anyone could give me on which cell phone provider gives the BEST service in Clovis (coverage is more important than price to us) and a good area for a single girl to look for an apartment.

Our daughter is going to be stationed at Cannon and we want to try to help her start looking ahead of time for a nice, safe apt complex not too far from the base.

Also, would it be better for her to buy her car here in TX before she goes up there, or better to wait until she arrives? She is just back from an overseas assignment and visiting here for 2 weeks, so info received quickly is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:15 PM

47 posts, read 168,075 times
I have family living in Clovis. I will contact them today and see if I can get answers to your questions for you. It maybe tomorrow before I can post them.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Default Verizon

In some places theres no service like a lot of companies, but I've been happy with Verizon. Out here you can text but not pic with Verizon

Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM

47 posts, read 168,075 times
Talked to my brother from Portales who is a County deputy. He said they use Plateau phone service because it is more reliable in that area. I have Verizon and haven't ever had any problem with it there in the Clovis. There is some areas in New Mexico that you don't get any kind of service but not problem in Clovis, Portales, Lubbock or Amarillo.

He advised waiting and purchasing a car there in Clovis. Not sure what part of Texas you are from but I am from Central Texas and I can tell you things are much cheaper than our area. We have shopped and compared everything from groceries, utilities,automobiles and property taxes. They are cheaper.

He also advised her to look for apts. on the north side of town above 14th St. He said they are building them so fast you can't keep up with all of them. He also said if she didn't mind the drive rentals would be cheaper in Portales. And he feels it is safer. I really don't think Clovis has anymore problems than any other town does now. I beleive you have to be on quard where ever you are.

When will you daughter be arriving. Can she live on Base. They are building so many homes close to the base. He said rank had something to do with you living there. I am not familiar with how the military works housing. My brother said he would be happy to get you some names of relators there if you would like.

You can also go online to cnjonline.com for the Clovis newspaper and check out the classified.

Hope this helps you out.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Plateau is a good local service too. Pretty reasonable prices. I use them up here in Clayton also.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Thanks so much all...I really appreciate the input.

I will tell her to wait to get there for the cell phone, but I think that we might be helping her buy the car, so probably will be getting it here in San Antonio for her to drive up there in.

I will also tell her about the apartment info. IF you can think of anything else that might be good to know, would appreciate it since we will continue to monitor this site as we prepare for her move there.

Thanks much all!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
We review New Mexico cellular carriers, and in Clovis, Alltel gets the fewest complaints, followed by Sprint, and Plateau gets the most. Verizon does not serve Clovis, however a Verizon phone from somewhere else will work there, roaming on Alltel. To be fair, Plateau usually has the best coverage there, but they also seem to have the most problems.

Since we don't know where your daughter will be living, unless you have some kind of family plan, she might do best to get a phone in Clovis where she can return it if she has any trouble.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Verizon on Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post
We review New Mexico cellular carriers, and in Clovis, Alltel gets the fewest complaints, followed by Sprint, and Plateau gets the most. Verizon does not serve Clovis, however a Verizon phone from somewhere else will work there, roaming on Alltel. To be fair, Plateau usually has the best coverage there, but they also seem to have the most problems.

Since we don't know where your daughter will be living, unless you have some kind of family plan, she might do best to get a phone in Clovis where she can return it if she has any trouble.
With Verizon your cell will read "Extended Network" as you travel. When you hang up , it says "Roam" showing minutes used for the call placed. We are not charged extra as Verizon customers using Alltel towers.

What was cool about Alltel was when I moved out here last January during that nasty ice storm, my brother had internet on his laptop through Alltel, and kept up on the weather and road conditions as we traveled in the truck through Missouri , Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico. phenomenal communication hookup and a life saver! Very good tool to have out here. Consider that.

Last edited by newmex; 10-18-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRadio View Post

Thanks. Since we now have Sprint, if that gets good coverate there, maybe we should just add her to our family plan here. I was not sure if sprint got good, if any, coverage there.

Still hoping to find a nice place for her to live, needs 1 bedroom...if ANYONE knows of ANYTHING that would be safe for her, please feel free to share. We have searched extensively online and getting kinda scared at the LACK of information available. There has to be something there, right?? She will be living off base.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Thanks. Since we now have Sprint, if that gets good coverate there, maybe we should just add her to our family plan here. I was not sure if sprint got good, if any, coverage there.

Still hoping to find a nice place for her to live, needs 1 bedroom...if ANYONE knows of ANYTHING that would be safe for her, please feel free to share. We have searched extensively online and getting kinda scared at the LACK of information available. There has to be something there, right?? She will be living off base.
There are many people living off base here in Portales. I know from others, it is safer and more affordable in Portales. She may drive 15 miles to the base straight shot, but can car pool if she can hook up with other base people here in Portales, no real problem. Eastern New Mexico U. is here, a better chance for culture exchange events and entertainment, or go to Lubbock Texas, 110 miles. Just saw an ENMU Jazz concert here, really good time. I lived in downtown Akron, Ohio until 10 months ago, it's candyland here! Trouble is light, but can be found if you look for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico