Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM

385 posts, read 1,558,295 times

Advertisements

I would agree that Albuquerque is not bike friendly. Due to growth, they are often working on the major roadways which makes getting around even in a car difficult. I think the old part of Albuquerque around the Univ. is nice as well but I don't know much about crime there. I own property near Socorro and I am betting that community is going to take off for many reasons. Its still has some charming structures standing which makes it ideal to renovate an interesting environment. It is about 80-90 miles south of Albuquerque so you have access to medical and the airport. The mountain biking industry there is doing pretty well as there are some very nice places to ride. They have the university campus there which would fit the bill for your business needing interns. The weather is just enough north to be interesting without being over the top either with heat or cold. Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times
KimK stated:

> I would agree that Albuquerque is not bike friendly.

What are you agreeing with? I didn't see another post (unless it was
deleted) that sad that Albuquerque is not bike friendly.

In any case, I disagree. You can get all over the city along the many
bike paths along arroyos that criss-cross the city. The weather is
generally favorable for biking and you can not only go all over town,
but you can go around the mountain and ride up the back.

If you are talking about the drivers rather than the layout, then you
might have a point.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM

385 posts, read 1,558,295 times
I was agreeing with jazzlover's take on things. I just pushed on it a bit more with the bike situation. I was thinking about the drivers actually and not the layout. Otherwise, you are more than correct. I shall be more specific in the future.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,416,934 times
Las Cruces in southern NM is ideal
A small city with lots of character. A college town and one of top five places to retire and live. Nice older houses can be found in the center of the city. Best weather in NM. Very scenic and lots of outdoor things nearby or an hour away. El Paso in only 40min away if you want to get away in a bigger city and also has a major airport. Do NOT overlook Las Cruces and nearby La Mesilla, you WILL love it!!!!!!

Las Cruces, New Mexico Convention & Visitors Bureau

El Paso Convention and Visitors Bureau / Day Trips

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-19-2007 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times
Las Cruces: best weather in New Mexico?

Holy Cow!!! I can't resist responding to that!

I have to wonder how many people LOVE the Las Cruces weather in the summer .... or how many have to turn on the A/C and stay indoors?

I would really dislike LC in the summer.

Best weather in NM? Santa Fa, in my opinion.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times
Towanda told us:

> Best weather in NM? Santa Fa, in my opinion.

How do you rate Taos? Cooler summers are better for me, but after
living in Phoenix for seven years, I think you're a wussy about Las Cruces.

But that's OK. I know you don't like it and you don't have to.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,641 times
When I looked for a 2nd home in New Mexico I could have gone anywhere (money, thank God, was not an issue) but I chose Las Cruces (Mesilla actually) because it's a bit warmer in winter than Santa Fe/Taos/Las Vegas/N. New Mexico in general. If I wanted to see snow I'd just stay in the upper Midwest.
Though I'll probably never spend a whole summer in LC, I find it not too hot in summer, especially when compared to Phoenix and Tucson. On top of being nearly 4,000 feet altitude, the agriculture in the Mesilla Valley -tons of pecan orchards, etc.- makes for a green belt that keeps temps down to tolerable. LC has a ways to go in some areas, but for the most part it's a very nice town and it's getting better in many ways.
The sprawl concerns me, as it does most Mesilla/LC residents, but that's just the way it goes.
If a larger city is needed, for a serious airport or something, El Paso is only 40 minutes away (the airport is 50 minutes) and Juarez, Mexico about the same.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,242,877 times
For my favorite type of climate, fairly high altitude in southern latitude is ideal. Timberon or High Rolls would be just about perfect...not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter. The best thing about NM climate in general is the low humidity, which makes the heat bearable.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Ele

1 posts, read 2,455 times
Albuquerque along the rio grande might fit what you are looking for. It fits all of your critera...

there is a bike path that follows the river for several miles and feeds off to many parts of town.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,738,522 times
Santa Fe . . . best weather in NM?
Holy @$@!! can't resist responding to that.
If you like cold winter weather, maybe.
Give me 'Cruces any day. If the summer heat gets to you, all you have to do is wait for the sun to go down, or find some shade. Gotta love that summer sun.
Different strokes for different folks, but to me 'Cruces weather beats Santa Fe hands down at least 9 months out of the year. But that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico