Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 PM

328 posts, read 654,933 times

Advertisements

double H, thank you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM

471 posts, read 977,336 times
Vaughn is actually a fascinating place, it is incredible to envision the amount of businesses and people there at one time that for some reason vanished years ago. In 1980, there were the ruins of a old time Ford dealer still there on the main street and in the back were a few acres of extremely overgrown cars from 1930-1960, all abandoned, without glass, and some were extremely rare, including some wooden station wagons, a flattened Kaiser Darrin, Crestliners, Auburns, Packards, etc..alot more. Looked like the dealer hauled them in off the highway for years after they broke down or were abandoned and then for some reason, everything was left and forgotten. Got some great pictures of it all, the cars have since been scrapped and the vintage Ford sign is gone too. Also check off the main drag a few blocks to north to find the really old abandoned remnants of the "downtown" from over 100 years back.....

Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
double H, thank you !!
My pleasure! Will try to think up a few more items for you. If I do any more thinking I'm going to talk myself into a road trip!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 PM

25 posts, read 46,875 times
I recommend Hope NM (my daughters name is Hope.) I thought Artesia was interesting little town (potash industry)

If you drive the back road to/from ABQ-SF there is a small native store below starvation mountain.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Thank you Larry, definitely will as I believe that is one of the highways I plan on traveling on for awhile.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 20,856 times
I haven't read all the threads, but would recommend Tularosa. It's a small, historic village started back in 1860's. The mission, St Francis dePaula dates back to 1865. The village is lush with vegetation despite being in a desert, because of the acequias’ or ditch system that feeds water to the village and ranches west of here. It is an oasis in an otherwise desert environment!
google it or like it on Facebook.
Oh yeah, there are many photographs to take, (I'm a photographer also) if you search me on facebook (Marcos Lee) I'll share some with you!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM

Marcos Lee, thank you. Will do, I'll send you a request if I can find you.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Anyone have any information on Mogollon ? I came across it on a website, looks very interesting.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
Anyone have any information on Mogollon ? I came across it on a website, looks very interesting.
Never been there. Been kinda near there in our treks to Silver City and Reserve in the 90's and near it by private aircraft in 1984...
Wikipedia: Mogollon, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a google map: mogollon nm - Google Maps

Some more ghost towns references: NM Adventures Ghost Towns - New Mexico Tourism

Oodles of Google pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=mogo...w=1920&bih=898
So much to see, so little time, so we moved out here...

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
My pleasure! Will try to think up a few more items for you. If I do any more thinking I'm going to talk myself into a road trip!
Just thought of something. It's a book that I recommend and it's something you can buy online as Amazon has them for sale (used) for about $4 and up. It's called New Mexico Place Names- A Geographical Dictionary. Written by T.M. Pearce, it is a great read. It's 165 pages and was originally pressed in 1965. I lived in New Mexico in the early 1980's and bought my copy at that time. Some great information here about towns, mountain ranges, valleys, etc., and why they were named that way. Does that book give you some ideas in regards to what you want? Yes. A couple examples is the valley Jornada Del Muerto, the vast area southeast of Socorro as the book gives some information about. Same thing with Cedar Crest, east of Albuquerque, which apparently had a sanitorium for tuberculosis patients there.

It's a great read!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-27-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: correction, spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico