Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 64,090 times

Advertisements

Planning a drivng trip for the week of May 26th. We'll be flying into Denver and staying a few days there, then driving down to Santa Fe for another few days before heading to Sedona for the final few days and our flight home out of Phoenix. It's our first time in the area.

My questions are about the drive from Colorado into NM and Santa Fe, and which route makes more sense for us. The options we're considering are I-25, which I guess is pretty easy and direct, or I-285, which is by all accounts more scenic and a bit longer. I'm leaning toward I-285, but my SO is looking for more information before we make a decision. So I figured I'd put her questions to you all:

1) What's the time difference if we drove I-25 versus I-285? Can both be done in a single day, even with a couple of stops for photographs?
2) Is the scenery really THAT better along I-285?
3) We're really interested in wildlife -- is one road better than the other for spotting critters?
3) Do either roads have any "scary" stretches -- with "scary" defined as high drop offs and no guard rails, super-steep up or down inclines, or anything else that might freak out someone who lives exactly AT sea level?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you might provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
I-25 is kinda boring IMHO. There are some nice spots along the way but not nearly as scenic as I-285. Nothing really 'scary' along I-285. You have a better opportunity to see wildlife on I-285. On I-25, you might see Antelope. It is about a 1 hour difference in time. Another option I like is I-25 > US-160 > CO-159 > NM-522. I take that route most often. US-160 comes off of Walsenburg, CO.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,798,137 times
Just to clarify, it's not I-285, it's US 285. Sometimes a 4-lane, sometimes a 2-lane. That is the most scenic route of your two, and Santa Fe is doable in a day.

Since I enjoy the northern mountains of New Mexico, I'll offer another alternative. I-25 south to US 64 (south of Raton), through Cimarron and the canyon into Eagle Nest, continue (left) on US 64 past Angel Fire (or a short jog down 434 into AF), over the pass and through Taos Canyon into Taos. If you don't want to go into Taos proper, go left on NM 585 off US 64 just before Taos, and left again on NM 68. That takes you through the Rio Grande canyon into Espanola, where you connect with 84/285 south to Santa Fe. That's also doable in a day with an early start, but you may enticed to stop a lot.

If you come into NM on I-25, you'll drive one of Ted Turner's ranches near the state line and along I-25. Herds of buffalo are common there.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJA1970 View Post
Planning a drivng trip for the week of May 26th. We'll be flying into Denver and staying a few days there, then driving down to Santa Fe for another few days before heading to Sedona for the final few days and our flight home out of Phoenix. It's our first time in the area.
What's the time difference if we drove I-25 versus I-285? Can both be done in a single day, even with a couple of stops for photographs?

Nonstop: I-25 about 6 hours, about 390 miles. It always takes us about 10 to 12 hours because we do stop a lot we have friends along that route etc. We really try to stop or drive through Garden Of The Gods | Home which is amazing and free. Even their website does not do it justice. Have done this drive maybe 8 times?

GOOGLE MAP FOR THAT DRIVE: Denver, CO to Santa Fe, NM - Google Maps

Nonstop: US-285 about 7 hours 360 miles. Have done this only twice. It is scenic.

GOOGLE MAP FOR THAT DRIVE: Denver, CO to Santa Fe, NM - Google Maps

But there are various detours others may recommend. I won't recommend any, our trips have always been business related so we have usually been pressed for time.

Is the scenery really THAT better along US-285?
That is just a judgement call. We always had too many reasons to take I-25

We're really interested in wildlife -- is one road better than the other for spotting critters? Probably US-285

Do either roads have any "scary" stretches -- with "scary" defined as high drop offs and no guard rails, super-steep up or down inclines, or anything else that might freak out someone who lives exactly AT sea level? Not really. Drive carefully and drink plenty of water. The altitudes will also be cooler, as the sun sets usually cooler. You might need a light jacket or sweater.

After this trip, you will no doubt plan your next, really....

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 64,090 times
Thanks so much for all the replies. I posted a similar question in the Colorado forum and it's pretty much unanimous...there are some great scenic and wildlife-rich routes down, but I-25 isn't really one of them. Haha! Definitely appreciate the input! Really looking forward to this trip!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM

10,746 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Here some advise from Coloradans. I asked the same question though I had to take I-25 that day because there was a nasty storm around some areas of 285. Anyway for what it's worth I got some decent responses.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...-i-25-new.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico