Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are New England natives. We both went to college in Burlington, VT and have been living here for several years now. Looking for a major (sunny and westward) change and have been researching places to relocate. We have mixed feelings about California (it is beautiful, esp Santa Barbara, Monterey, but quite expensive and very...into itself?). Colorado seems like a "meh" choice as everyone relocates from VT to CO. When I think AZ, I think cookie-cutter. Culturally, most of the midwest probably won't jive with us.

New Mexico is intriguing, but where? Been reading a lot about Albuquerque and that it has a certain "uniqueness" that is perhaps difficult to quantify. Santa Fe seems amazing but also polarizing; is there something about the "artsy" vibe that turns people off? Too pretentious or something? I am an artist drawn to funky/unique places, but not if it is accompanied by attitude.

We don't expect or -want- a super-liberal-progressive-crunchy atmosphere like Burlington. We ARE mostly liberal, crunchy, eco-conscious & artsy--but prefer more diversity, culturally and ethnically, than VT provides. It kindof becomes like the Twilight Zone when you're surrounded by exclusively white people who all share similar views!

Criteria

-We want to be in a low key, live and let live place...jeans to work?
-At least SOME artsy/creative vibe
-Natural beauty w accessible outdoor activity (hiking etc)
-Interesting architecture, cultural and historical stuff
-Nice, humble people, friendly feel
-Local organic food and vegetarian options available
-A community feel and a "downtown" plaza of sorts, is more important than pop. size
-Bike paths would be awesome
-JOBS! He is in IT/software, I am in human services
-Reasonable rent. Seems like people think Santa Fe is outrageous?? I am never sure if they mean compared to the rest of NM or in general... Average rent here for a tiny 1 bedroom w/ lead paint and college kids next door runs $800-$1300/month, easily, and your kitchen will be circa 1960. Our theoretical budget would ideally be LESS, but $800/m for a decent 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom and office seems doable if we both work. No kids. Is Santa Fe still out of our price range?

Alb and SF don't have to be our only options; suggestions of lesser-known or smaller communities are welcome. Is it super hard to land a job there if you are presently out-of-state? We are serious about moving, but would never arrive both unemployed. Also, how long would it take to secure a rental once there?

We CANNOT make a zillion trips to test the waters. This is kind of a leap of faith! Many months to plan. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Making one trip to test the waters is not too much considering the commitment you'd be making.

Not convinced any of NM would be ideal for you; certainly not convinced you should be limiting yourself to just the two most famous cities; there are plenty of other towns in NM that may work better for the vibe you're seeking.

Albuquerque and Santa Fe both are easily driven between a dozen times on a single trip out here; come on out and find out what works best for you.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Betweent the two cities (and someone whom obviously has a bias leaning towards Santa Fe) I think you would be happier in Albuquerque based on the aforementioned criteria. There is no shortage of artistic venues and happenings in Albuquerque and throughout Northern New Mexico. (check out Madrid and Taos when you are in the area!) Santa Fe has a slightly more community feel because it is smaller and quite unique. However, Albuquerque is more vibrant overall and houses the states flagship university. It sounds like you guys would really like the Nob Hill area.

The great divider between the two cities are the availability for certain jobs. Since you boyfriend works in IT, Albuquerque would be a no brainer. Intel has a large presence in Rio Rancho and there are many other IT jobs associated with the government and UNM.

Just my $0.02

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilacqc View Post
When I think AZ, I think cookie-cutter. Culturally, most of the midwest probably won't jive with us.
There are some parts of Arizona with might suit you...

Quote:
New Mexico is intriguing, but where?
New Mexico is the fifth largest state in the union and only 2 million people. Crunch that... Madrid, Taos, Silver City, Alamogordo, Ruidoso, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Socorro, Deming and Mesilla, are places we have considered...

Quote:
Santa Fe seems amazing but also polarizing; is there something about the "artsy" vibe that turns people off?
Everything turns someone off... We enjoy Santa Fe, especially when we have family or friends visiting... It is about a one hour drive from where we live.

Quote:
Too pretentious or something? I am an artist drawn to funky/unique places, but not if it is accompanied by attitude.
Maybe you would be better suited coming out for a visit.

Albuquerque vs Santa Fe

-We want to be in a low key, live and let live place...jeans to work? - Depends on the job...

-At least SOME artsy/creative vibe - Santa Fe (SF) has more than Albuquerque (ABQ). But I know some craftsmen who live in ABQ and sell in SF.

-Natural beauty w accessible outdoor activity (hiking etc) - We got that. ABQ has over 400 miles of bike paths and trails

-Interesting architecture, cultural and historical stuff - If you like Southwest history and culture, we have it...

-Nice, humble people, friendly feel - Depends on how you act...

-Local organic food and vegetarian options available - Yes

Some existing discussion threads here on City-Data:

Albuquerque vs Santa Fe's Public Transportation?
Albuquerque vs Santa Fe vs Las Cruces
Albequerque vs. Santa fe

Some New Mexico Literature:
Home - New Mexico Tourism
Guide Request Form - New Mexico Tourism
NewMexico.gov - Welcome to the Land of Enchantment

Some of my artistic video attempts:

Salsa_1008_3Mbps.wmv - YouTube

2011 Dia de los Muertos Marigold Parade - YouTube

Albuquerque birthday "Founders Day" Fiesta 2009 - YouTube

Quote:
We CANNOT make a zillion trips to test the waters. This is kind of a leap of faith! Many months to plan. Suggestions?
How many can you really take? At least one?

Good luck to you both!

Rich

Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I have lived in Maine, New Hampshire, and Mass.

Albuquerque has been an excellent fit for me since moving here 23 years ago. It sounds like we have some similar background and interests. Santa Fe is a great city for art but is more expensive and very tourist-oriented. Living in ABQ I find myself up in Santa Fe fairly often for one reason or another.

The hardest adjustment was getting used to the endless suburban sprawl of ABQ. But it does have an old heart in its Old Town, and has more sense of history than most other Western cities of its size or larger, thanks to the Native American and Spanish colonial influences of the region. For year-round outdoor recreation it is hard to beat.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I moved here from Massachusetts back in April and lived in Santa Fe for the first three months and been living here in Albuquerque since summer. I love Vermont, I use to visit often and I do miss it but I'll say without hesitation that I am a lot happier and content living in the sunnny Southwestern climate than New England. The abundant sunshine here really has made a big difference in my life and I love it.

Quote:
My boyfriend and I are New England natives. When I think AZ, I think cookie-cutter. Culturally, most of the midwest probably won't jive with us
Don't write off the whole state of AZ, Flagstaff is a pretty cool little college town, somewhat like Burlington with a quaint western pioneer vibe and its close to cool places like Sedona and the Grand Canyon. Tucson's a pretty good one too. Tha whole cookie cutter image is what a lot of Phoenix is but be aware if you want to come out West you're leaving behind that whole Norman Rockwell currier and ives environment in Vermont and most cities out West have cookie cutter areas and Albuquerque certainly has a number fo them. The trade off? Newer homes, better infrastructure, more modern ammenities and comforts and affordability.

Quote:
New Mexico is intriguing, but where? Been reading a lot about Albuquerque and that it has a certain "uniqueness" that is perhaps difficult to quantify. Santa Fe seems amazing but also polarizing; is there something about the "artsy" vibe that turns people off? Too pretentious or something? I am an artist drawn to funky/unique places, but not if it is accompanied by attitude.
Santa Fe has quite a bit of affluence by New Mexico standards so you certainly run into NM residents that think it's polarizing and pretentious, though that really hasn't been my experience there. I only lived there for 3 months and worked at a hotel there for about a month before I found a better job down here in ABQ but I met all kinds people there from salt of the earth folks whose family has been there for several generations, to artists and wealthy gallery owners, Texans, Californians, New Yorkers, and all kinds of everyday people. If you enjoy Burlington you'll like Santa Fe for sure. Make a trip out and see for yourself, as a New Englander you may have a different point of view about it.

Albuquerque is more down to earth, it's kitschy too. Especially along Central Ave through Nob Hill and downtown there's a lot of mid 20th century nostalgia but it's also a college city (UNM) so there's that vibe mixed in. Much of the city feels like your average medium sized western US city as there are many long and wide boulevards that are heavily developed with commerce. The thing I enjoy about living here the most are the big skies and the views of the Sandias, seriously beautiful mountain and high desert views surrounded by wide open spaces. It's a big enough city to have almost everything one could need yet I can drive 10 minutes away and be hiking in the mountain foothill trails. There is a certain magic and spirit here that I can't put into words but is very palpable in feeling, I guess I've bought into the Land of Enchantment slogan.

-We want to be in a low key, live and let live place...jeans to work?:
My work environment is casual as is NM, but it depends on the company you work for.

-At least SOME artsy/creative vibe:
You'll notice NM is exceptional in this regard, especially Santa Fe, Madrid, Silver City, and Taos, and even some places in AZ.

-Natural beauty w accessible outdoor activity (hiking etc)
we have it in abundance, even here in ABQ

-Interesting architecture, cultural and historical stuff:
Visit some museums in Santa Fe and ABQ, the history out here is fascinating. Check out Taos Pueblo and Acoma Pueblo, native civilization that has existed long before Columbus landed. The architecture is pretty cool out here too, I love the adobe look.

-Nice, humble people, friendly feel:
Sure, but people are people no matter where you go however people here arn't as flinty and reserved as New England so it's fairly friendly give or take a few exceptions.

-Local organic food and vegetarian options available:
New England is better for this IMO but both ABQ and Santa Fe have Whole Foods, Sprouts, and farmers markets so I'm sure you'd do fine.

-A community feel and a "downtown" plaza of sorts, is more important than pop. size:
Just remember it's different out West and what your idea of community is will be different out here. ABQ's downtown is kind of weak though it's not that bad and it is undergoing improvement, if a little slowly. Nob Hill/UNM area feels more active and vibrant to me and Old Town though small is quite charming. If this sort of thing is a deal breaker level of importance to you then I'd suggest Santa Fe which has a very active and vibrant downtown plaza and more of a community feel.

-Bike paths would be awesome:
Welcome to paradise....
http://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreati...bike/bicycling
http://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe...ils/index.html

-JOBS! He is in IT/software, I am in human services:
Make it work, believe it will work out and do all the neccessarry research and I'm sure you'll figure this out. Everybody's experience is different in this respect, some do it better than others.

-Reasonable rent.
Jobs in Santa Fe pay pretty well. If you can swing Burlington then you can certainly afford Santa Fe. $800 is at the low end of Santa Fe, I'd allow yourself at least a $900 - $950 rent allowance at a minimum.

Quote:
ABQ and SF don't have to be our only options; suggestions of lesser-known or smaller communities are welcome. Is it super hard to land a job there if you are presently out-of-state? We are serious about moving, but would never arrive both unemployed. Also, how long would it take to secure a rental once there? We CANNOT make a zillion trips to test the waters. This is kind of a leap of faith! Many months to plan. Suggestions?
Make at least one trip out here. That's all it took for me to make a decision then I moved out here a year after that. I decided either Santa Fe or ABQ would work well for me. Once you are solid in your decision change your cell # to a 505 area code and put it on your resume (that's what I did and I landed an interview a day after I arrived). I also leased a short term 3 month apartment which I paid in full before I got here.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-29-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico